Photo mapping with Phantom pro 4 +

Reaction score
Hi! I have just purchased a phantom 4 pro plus. I want to use it to take many pictures while flying up a river, and make them into one big orthophoto, for import to a GIS system for furter analysis. I guess I have to make a grid over the area that I want to map.

After some research on the Internet, I now realize that programs like pix4d isn' t compatible with this drone. Can I use dji go 4 to do this? Or have I bought the wrong drone? Any workarounds?
Im new to this, so any help here is much appreciated!

Lars (drone beginner)

Hi! I have just purchased a phantom 4 pro plus. I want to use it to take many pictures while flying up a river, and make them into one big orthophoto, for import to a GIS system for furter analysis. I guess I have to make a grid over the area that I want to map.

After some research on the Internet, I now realize that programs like pix4d isn' t compatible with this drone. Can I use dji go 4 to do this? Or have I bought the wrong drone? Any workarounds?
No, you can't use DJI Go to fly an orthophoto survey.
Creating an orthophoto requires lots of photos taken precisely with large overlaps.
You'd never be able to do this properly yourself but it's easy with the help of one of the mapping apps.
Here's a screenshot from DroneDeploy partway through shooting 200 images with 75% overlap.
i-fvtdmgg-L.png

The orthophoto created from the photos looked like this:
i-3GmVwKL-XL.jpg

And this is some detail from the image (which is huge)
i-tbXHK86-X3.jpg

Your drone is fine for mapping but the P4 pro+ controller doesn't allow loading the apps necessary for mapping flights.
You would need to get an ordinary P4 pro controller and a tablet but you could still use the drone.

Thank you for this much useful info. I guess my options then are; try and get my money back or change it to a regular pro, or - get a new 4 pro remote controller.

If I had I known, I wouldnt have bought the pro plus in the first place.

Just to make shure; a regular phantom 4 pro controller will work with my drone?

I also found an interesting thread from this forum, seems to describe a workaround (see video om the end)
3d mapping for phantom 4 pro plus

Anyone else who have tried this?

Reactions: laddben
No need to buy a new quad, you can use fly the quad with camera pointing straight down and tell the camera to take one photo every 2 seconds, then fly the quad with a survey grid with 60% overlap, then load your photos to a photogrammetry software, eg photoscan, 3DSurvey, Bently, Autodesk Recap etc. Follow the software instruction for the map creation.

Lars (drone beginner)
You can use your phantom 4pro+ conntroller with pix4d to make orthophoto.
There are a working video instruction how to load and connect pix4d and other 3rd app to your controller
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

bohdangutnyk, your YouTube video is pretty much useless, the angle you are recording from does not display what you are typing on the screen. If you could also explain how to disable DJIGo4 while running litchi as required on the + controller that would also be helpful. Just because litchi can be downloaded and installed doesn't mean it will run properly.

bohdangutnyk, your YouTube video is pretty much useless, the angle you are recording from does not display what you are typing on the screen. If you could also explain how to disable DJIGo4 while running litchi as required on the + controller that would also be helpful. Just because litchi can be downloaded and installed doesn't mean it will run properly.
Sorry for that, i have no time to make better one.So i left step by step instruction under the video, maybe it help u. and to close dji go app, you can install advances task maneger or similar app to controller. there are also another way, install aditional launcher, such as nova launcher and make it run like default. After it, dji go will not start avtomaticly, when you turn onn your controller.

Lars (drone beginner)
I would look at Drone Harmony. I've been using it for a full year now for all of my mapping flight plans and video work. If you are flying up a river enough to want to correct for constant elevation, DH can do that. Only drawback is that DH is Android only. I assume you have Pix4D mapper? My photos and flight path load into Pix4D with very few issues. Remember, GCP's are your key to successful orthos and point clouds.

Reactions: flightline
I have been flying a P4P not P4P+, but I'm assuming that DH would make note on their website if they did not support the P4P+.
It's only very in the last few weeks that users could load any 3rd party apps onto the P4 pro+.
It's most likely that Drone Harmony won't work - like most of the others.

It's only very in the last few weeks that users could load any 3rd party apps onto the P4 pro+.
It's most likely that Drone Harmony won't work - like most of the others.
From the Drone Harmony site:
* Phantom 3 & 4 Series, Mavic Pro, Inspire 1 & 2
Coming soon: Matrice series, CrystalSky
Waiting for DJI support: Spark, P4P+, Mavic Air

Reactions: Meta4

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers