Phone battery draining FAST while flying - why?

You might have a battery that is on it's way out. I have a 5s, flew 3 batteries this weekend and the 5s went down by maybe 10% - 15%.

BenDronePilot said:
A better alternative to this is using a portable hand held battery charger that can accomplish this same purpose. I highly recommend this one. It works great has two ports with 2amp charging capabilities.

RAVPower PB07

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 000Y-00034

And the benefit of these is they can juice up the range extender as well as your phone should either get low in the field. I am definitely tempted to get one, or similar, to put in the flight case...

Same thing happens to me with my iPhone 5. I've had it plugged in all night and then go to do a flight and it will die before the flight ends. It will come up saying 20% then 10% less than 30 seconds later. Then it shuts off and can't turn back on.

I think it has something to do with the cold. I have seen the iPhone shut down due to cold and it may just be coincidence that the DJI app is running when this happens. As it has been pretty cold in the Midwest lately I haven't been able to try it out without it being cold.

I am in Florida, it's not cold here (except today) and my iPhone 5 does the same thing. Works perfect for everything else.

Yes, mine has done it every flight and the coldest it's been while I flew was 40 degrees (so not that cold). I have been up in the mountains where it was closer to 0 degrees and yes, the iPhone will shut down when it gets too cold, but that is not the issue (at least with mine).

I have not been back out flying since I uninstalled the app and reinstalled it to try that. I suspect it's an app issue conflicting with some other app I must be running. Has anyone experiencing this issue tried flying in airplane mode yet? Same result?

-Jason

My Iphone quickly went through its battery during a single flight. I did all of the steps in the article that Geert linked to near the start of this thread. Today I flew three full batteries and when I finished my Iphone was showing 61% remaining. Its made a big difference for me.

Thanks GEERT. :D

I have the same issue - my iPhone 5 got about 3/4 the way through the second battery and gave the the 20% low battery warning. This has happened twice to me, both times the phone was over 95% full when I started. I'm in Ireland so the weather is cold, bit not freezing.

On an interesting note, when I got home and took the phone out of my pocket to plug it in it stated 60% charge or thereabouts. I've had the cold issue with the phone automatically switching off in less than 10 Deg Celsius with about 35% charge left.

I firmly believe the 5 doesn't like cold. Must try using my iPad some day, but I'll have to 'engineer' a suitable holder for it!

Connor

Ok I had a flight today, actually 3 batteries and my Samsung S3 used 47%.
I think that is ok and normal.

I have had the iPhone 6 for about 9 months now, with no issues, and a great battery life. Just got the Phantom 3 Pro, and I am using up about 40% of my iPhone battery charge in about 15 minutes of flying. Ridiculous!

Hi Buzz,

I've got an iPhone 6 which I use as my FPV screen. I fly a PV2.
I kill all apps that are running in the background before I fly.

Double press the home button, you will then see what's running in the back ground. Swipe up on all the screens that are running, this will kill them. You may already know this but it works for me;) I also put my iPhone into airplane mode before I fly.;)

I have had four battery flight times with my phantom & didn't need to charge my iPhone 6.

So it seems the answer is to buy an external charging pack and Velcro to the back... But my question is how do I connect both the charger AND the phantom controller at the same time? There is only one plug socket on the iPhone.

Thx in advance

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik