Phantoms colors and 2.8GHz/ 5.2 GHz

Reaction score
I am still looking at Phantom 2's. Then I want to buy a gimble and GoPro4 Silver. I bought a Hubsan H107L for practicing.

Seems the more I look and do research, the more my information gets crossed. So I have a few questions:

1) I want a Phantom 2 (non-vision) , but it seems there is a Phantom 2 V2? What is the difference?

2) I see some Phantom 2 with Blue or Red Stripes on the arms. Does it matter or means something??

3) I also see 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz as the controller freq. ( Note: I will not use FPV) which freq is better for controller and which freq is less likely to not have a flyaway?

4) Is Amazon the best place (or safer bet) to get a Phantom?

5) What is the best gimble without having to spend a fortune? I just want simple stable videos...

1) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYpJv3QgEfc

2) it comes with red, blue, and pink stickers. use whichever ones you choose.

3) all non-Vision Phantom 2s use 2.4ghz; 5.8ghz is reserved for FPV if you decided to go that route .and if you're planning on filming your flights with a GoPro, I don't see why you wouldn't want FPV. not to mention, FPV is more than just composing your shot. with the iOSD Mini, you get important telemetry information live (such as battery percentage and voltage, height and distance from home, velocity, etc.).

4) if the order is fulfilled by Amazon, you can rest assured you will have stellar customer service. if the order is fulfilled by a 3rd party, then it's anyone's guess. B&H is also a good place to order from.

5) h3-3d; you may (or may not) have to modify it for use with the Hero 4 Silver. there are no gimbals made specifically for that model at this time (doubt there ever will be). modifications include counterbalancing (easy) and possible dremeling to avoid depressing the settings button on the side that can activate WiFi unwantedly.

OK,

1) So the color is just a preference and has nothing to do with versions or quality (like picking a color of a car), nice to know!

2) Glad I saw that video! I didn't know there was a camera lever on the controller!

3) On amazon, I think I am going to go with Hobbytown. Need to look at B&H when I have time...

4) as for FPV I guess it just more money and at this point, I would rather watch the phantom to watch where it is going than the screen.

Ok another step closer to buying the Phantom....

Thank you for your input!

My personal recommendation is to not go through HobbyTown as their items are not fulfilled by Amazon. Therefore, should something go wrong, you will not benefit from Amazon's excellent customer service and return policy.

This link should work. The following sellers have their Phantom 2's fulfilled by Amazon: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/offer-listin ... moFilter=1

You can get into a basic FPV setup for $300. When you're ready, upgrade the antennas (~$150) and you have an amazing setup.

rockhoundrob said:
I am still looking at Phantom 2's. Then I want to buy a gimble and GoPro4 Silver. I bought a Hubsan H107L for practicing.

Seems the more I look and do research, the more my information gets crossed. So I have a few questions:

1) I want a Phantom 2 (non-vision) , but it seems there is a Phantom 2 V2? What is the difference?

2) I see some Phantom 2 with Blue or Red Stripes on the arms. Does it matter or means something??

3) I also see 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz as the controller freq. ( Note: I will not use FPV) which freq is better for controller and which freq is less likely to not have a flyaway?

4) Is Amazon the best place (or safer bet) to get a Phantom?

5) What is the best gimble without having to spend a fortune? I just want simple stable videos...

short and sweet.. total knowledge... :mrgreen: :ugeek:
1. p2 v1 original p2 it has
original controller 2.4 ghz with backside gimbal lever and non rechargeable batteries
orginal motors and escs
non thrust boosted props
if you happen to purchase the zenmuse with the v1 the zenmuse would have the 30 pin go pro connection and not usb.

P2 V2 has
thrust boosted props
upgraded motors, escs, and compass that is enhanced (no longer exposed to elements)
Controller 2.4 ghz has gimball controls on top left and rechargeable lipo battery via microusb connection
if you happen to purchase with gimbal the zenmuse h3-3d version 2 will no longer have the 30 pin connector it will now have usb connection to go pro providing the opportunity to instal the go pro hero 3 or 4

note: best deals are had on p2v1 imo . nice thing about this platform is you can install everything from the version 2 2 version 1 if you so choose.. example
new controller $100
new antistatic enclosed compass $19
Thrust boosted props -$20
Motors and escs i wouldn't do because their are a couple posts just this week with random phantoms dropping from the sky running the newer motors and escs :?:

2. ) those stickers colors are provided in the box to identify the front of the phantom if you want to install them multiple colors are provided with phantom purchase, purely for reference while craft is flying to recognize front.

3.) thats a loaded question .. both are pretty stable but could fall victim to interference. just don't run the same frequency controller and fpv . I run 2.4ghz with 5.8ghz fpv setup

4.)Amazon is great so are outside vendors, I bought mine off ebay however looking back i got lucky, I would rather have the price protection of amazon who really do care that you are satisfied in the event the vendor decides to be less than honest, plus if you are a prime member free 2 day shipping is pretty good... But, watch out for freebies offered by companies maybe an extra battery or a discount buying another battery, The DJI supplier portion of the website would be a good start to compare vs amazon prices and packages...

5.) hands down h3-3d either version is fine only difference between version 1 and 2 version 1 has 30 pin connector , 2 comes with usb which can support hero 3 and hero 4, version 1 supports only hero 3 unless you swap out 30 pin connector to usb connection ($6.00) like i did :geek: .

newest is h4-3d which supports hero 3, hero 4 and is designed for hero 4 specifically (balanced etc. )
Best deals are on hero 3s right now.

So far so good, now the last question (I hope): if the h4-3d doesn't quite fit the Heros 4, can I shim it, use duct tape, zip-tie ( or some other modification) to get it to hold the camera?

Also, I noticed every week or so I have to calibrate the Hubsan H107L quad-copter because it will drift. It will be fine for a few days, then for some reason it will just take of and fly to one side or another.
Is this something I will have to do with the Phantom too? Calibrate it every 10 flights or so?

rockhoundrob said:
So far so good, now the last question (I hope): if the h4-3d doesn't quite fit the Heros 4, can I shim it, use duct tape, zip-tie ( or some other modification) to get it to hold the camera?

Also, I noticed every week or so I have to calibrate the Hubsan H107L quad-copter because it will drift. It will be fine for a few days, then for some reason it will just take of and fly to one side or another.
Is this something I will have to do with the Phantom too? Calibrate it every 10 flights or so?
The h4-3d is made for the Hero 4 Black. No modifications required.

Phantom does require calibration. But can't say every _ flights. Just whenever it needs it, it needs it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl