Phantom3 professional hard landing RTH

Reaction score
This can't be right comes down way to fast and hard. How do I correct this?
Will it also do this if battery gets to low???
My sons p3s comes down like a feather
Please save the learn how to land comments I know how. but my kids fly this don't want it damaged from hard landings

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

p3s lands different than other ones they come down a lot faster not as smooth my p3a comes down quick that is why I handcatch so it wont tip over

When it gets close to a landing, take back Control.
You can press the RTH button to cancel it at anytime, as well.

RedHotPoker

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
Please save the learn how to land comments I know how. but my kids fly this don't want it damaged from hard landings
Just because it can land itself doesn't mean that you have to let it.
Most pilots can find a landing spot and land better than the programming can.

Reactions: ROD PAINTER

This post is basically how I reply whenever the question is asked about why the P3S lands smoother than does the P3A or P3P.

Also, the P3P and P3A used to land very smoothly, but that changed around June or July last year. There's no way to correct it.

EDIT: Fixed bad link

Last edited:
Reactions: JoBe

Learn how to land. ;)

I have a p3s and a p3a, and I have rth'd many times as well, and I have never landed, not even once on the ground. I always hand catch. Hand catch is the best way to land, I even did it with my old p1.

I've only had to hand catch a couple times, when I was out in the weeds and rocks. I keep seeing people say hand catching is the best way to land, and I keep not understanding why.

Sorry but hand catch is not THE best way to land IMO. It is one way to land, but not THE best. I land on ground all the time and have never had any issues except for my very first time landing. I used CSC to cut off the motors and it almost tipped over. Since then, I only use left stick down each time for smooth landings. I've hand catched only a few times just to practice so I know how it is when I have to.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I've only had to hand catch a couple times, when I was out in the weeds and rocks. I keep seeing people say hand catching is the best way to land, and I keep not understanding why.

I agree. I've never hand-caught my drone. I imagine that I should learn how to do it in case I ever need to take off and land from a boat - but I don't understand what people find so difficult about landing normally. Does the manual even talk about hand catching as an option? If not - and it truly is the "best", doesn't that make them negligent? :)

Also - I saw that you posted "learn how to land" as a joke - but I was amazed to see how many posters before you posted something similar before that. The OP clearly stated that he didn't want to see those comments - and he explained why - because he sometimes lets the kids fly it and has probably given them a rule to always use the automatic landing. Did the other posters not read his entire message or just suffer from comprehension problems? Ugh. Starting to remember why I took a months break from this site.

So...why do some people think that hand catching is a superior way to land. And for all of the people I've seen promoting it as "the best" strategy. I haven't seen a single one of them offer any instructions on "how to" do it for the new pilots they are replying to - or post a link to a tutorial. Notching. Just a useless statement with questionable advice.

7d7419d00bc4505ccab68e1dfbc1e354.jpg

You can buy this landing tall from ebay for ground landing

I agree. I've never hand-caught my drone. I imagine that I should learn how to do it in case I ever need to take off and land from a boat - but I don't understand what people find so difficult about landing normally. Does the manual even talk about hand catching as an option? If not - and it truly is the "best", doesn't that make them negligent? :)

Also - I saw that you posted "learn how to land" as a joke - but I was amazed to see how many posters before you posted something similar before that. The OP clearly stated that he didn't want to see those comments - and he explained why - because he sometimes lets the kids fly it and has probably given them a rule to always use the automatic landing. Did the other posters not read his entire message or just suffer from comprehension problems? Ugh. Starting to remember why I took a months break from this site.

So...why do some people think that hand catching is a superior way to land. And for all of the people I've seen promoting it as "the best" strategy. I haven't seen a single one of them offer any instructions on "how to" do it for the new pilots they are replying to - or post a link to a tutorial. Notching. Just a useless statement with questionable advice.

yes we have many times you must not be paying attention have widely put up vdeos on handcatchng

Just because it can land itself doesn't mean that you have to let it.
Most pilots can find a landing spot and land better than the programming can.
I agree. I have never let my P3 land itself (even to test it) despite flyng from some rough terrain. The P3 is very manoeuvrable and I've always been able to find a landing spot in amongst the rocks, grass or other obstacles. Even off concrete, I prefer to have complete control of the landing and the ability to quickly pull back on the left stick to shut it down immediately after touchdown. I also never use auto take off, preferring instead to take off and immediately take it up a few metres. One of my next shoots will be overseas off a jet boat up a tropical river which will likely require a hand catch (I'm doing it for the owner of the jet boat cruise who's agreed to periodically stop and let me hand catch - that's not concerning me at all). That will be the first time in almost a year of ownership that I'll have not done a manual landing.

Last edited:
The OP clearly stated that he didn't want to see those comments
I don't think its possible to have a thread asking why the P3P and the P3A do not land as smoothly as the P3S without the thread becoming a long list of posts to "hand catch" or to "land manually." It always happens whenever someone asks that question. See the link (now corrected) in my earlier post.

Reactions: JoBe

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl