Phantom v1.1.1 lifts her legs!

OI Photography said:
Well, boy do I have some good news for you :)

3lb .1oz = 1361g

No foolin!
<does snoopy dances in the office>

Wow! I wanted 1300 max... I may be able to trim this out to a nice 1250 or so. How awesome is that? I amaze myself; I never expected them to be very practical, but now I am feeling rather cocky- which means there is something I am missing.

Thanks Ol P- best news so far.

Ozzyguy said:
What props and motors are you using to get that much weight in the air?

I have not flown it yet- but before the last crash which caused this shell swap and subsequent retract experiment was heavier and flew with these motors- they are the original stock motors.

I am not implying this is a successful mod yet- as stated- it hasn't flown. I have a battery charged, hd sunglasses cam is ready... I have the Phantom prepped for flight- just need a calm half hour to take her out and see what happens- for better or worse, I will post the vid up here so all can see.

How pathetic do I feel? I apologize for leading folks down a garden path here if anyone had any faith in this endeavor. I am just in from the back yard, and while I chose to not film the very first test- I will not bother with chancing any damage to the new gimbal or props as I just made a few furrows into the soft, damp grass with both front rotors on 2 subsequent tries... bottom line?

This thing is a total, irrevocable, irreversible, irrelevant pig to attempt to get off the ground.

I can goose the throttle and get her in the air... but you can instantly feel the heaviness in flight- the Naza is working it's *** off trying to correct for the extreme weight and the only reason it did rise on the 3rd try was because of massive over correction on backward and left stick input to help hold it flat. I would never fly this thing like this- you would have to go so slow and so carefully and descent would be a nightmare as you would need a runway or have to make very slow circles with less than a handful of centimeters per second or else it would fall from the sky-

They work- they are plenty strong enough, and I think I will keep the assembly for a 550 as I also suspect this Arris is far too heavy to effectively put on this with the vtx- ... the only thing that may be an issue is the stock motors- they sound smooth- they run smooth... but they felt like they lacked oomph compared to when it flew before with the old frame. I have gains set identical to the original setup- you can tell it is just heavy but the response was sluggish and not as snappy on the motors when I tapped throttle.

So this bird gets set back on the bench- all retract gear nd hardware removed- the t-motors are going in, and then back ut with stock legs and the Arris to see if I can still use that on this quad as others have managed. I will be happy with p-mixed rolls and tilt, and yaw follow. When and if I build a true aerial rig (something a little less than pure pro grade) I will use the arris with a secondary remote and my wife gets to be a r/c aerial shutterbug.

Thank you for all the moral support- that is never wasted in life- but this project is impractical and not worth the effort unless you just want legs that go up and down with no gimbal- but a fixed camera doesn't need retracts. :roll:

Hiway my friend I tip my cap to you for this thread and you shouldn't feel in any way pathetic.

I especially like the honest comments in that last post. I'm a little sorry that I'd not seen this thread earlier cause having done this whole retract thing myself on an F450 I could have given you a few pointers too.

Mine in action (since been pulled apart and turned into another craft). Details of what I did (in case you might choose to pick this up is here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... ostcount=7)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHVFX2LCIXE[/youtube]

The biggest issue you have with the Phantom (and moreseo the Naza running a quad setup) is this whole issue with weight to its sides. It seems to hate it unless it has motors that can compensate (in other words a Hex!). This is true of dual batteries and it gets worse if it is something with no fixed end (like legs!). Seems to cause osciallation, vibration and all sorts of nastyness.

When I did my F450 retracts I had the same problems. They worked fine as RC retracts but they did no favours at all to the the flight characteristics..... that was a 450 without the smaller frame and whole compass needs of a Phantom so your journey is understandably bumpy!

Still fair play for you trying this out and sticking with it to (litterly) the bitter end. For me this hobby is all about trying new things, trial and error and doing what you find fun regardless of its practical sense sometimes. My 450 was way too heavy with retracts, less transportable and fly worse for less time.... but it looked fricken cool :lol:

Keep tinkering and move onto the next project! Most importantly keep doing what you do on threads like this! If nothing else it is something that proves to others the struggles that they might have if they take it on themselves :D

Big thumbs up to you!

Dewey, thetac... my most sincere gratitude for those kind replies.

@dewey... I should have spent some time over at rcgroups before going down this road... it would have saved me the hassles.

Now that you point out the issue with the weight on the side, it all makes sense- that was what pulled my last build from the sky (side plate dual battery mounts) and poorly distributed weight. You bring so many pieces of info and advice to this project here in your last post, I cannot help but find myself back thinking about it... but it will have to wait. I need this quad running for a shoot, and I have already moved into the realms of wicked mini fpv H frames... I have a current BAH Mini H build going in the minirotor section (check it out if you wish) but I will not be doing anything other than taking more experienced advisement from those that went before me... no attempts at reinventing the wheel there as I have too much to learn still... gotta crawl before walking.

As for the lesson to others- that is always a bonus when engaging online... providing the poster is honest- I can be obnoxious, and I can be obtuse, and I am certainly prone to throttling the mouth before putting the brain into gear.... but I will never lie. I will tell it like it is, and if I fail, I have no problem saying so- I spend too much time wading through misinformation and speculation in this hobby to perpetuate it.

I think, for what I want the Arris for, my best bet is a Y6 set up on a 550 platform- I like the power to weight ratios and the ability to fly in more wind... that is what I plan for this gimbal- and for my main aerial rig down the road. I also suspect it will be a total blast to fly.

Again dewey- someone with your reputation and accomplishments is always heeded in my world, and I appreciate your feedback and generous advice.

I am not killing the thread or closing it- and I may get a stella for the Phantom one day... some of the footage I have with roll and pitch pmixes is leading me to truly appreciate that option... just need to tweak it proper.

thetac said:
....check out these two videos, a little humor with the videos...

You weren't kidding! You had me rolling over here with that dialog... something tells me you are not conceited, but instead convinced? (me too)

I have to say- that landing skid you have there for the legs with the side mount batteries is what did my last rig in... I will never put those on again. I also am not wholly convinced that compass moving is solid- but the vid shows no adverse effect- so that is worthy just seeing you take the risk- hats off! (you want an east coast branch for this "pro" testing thing... I'll do least side, you do left side? Buwahahahahaha!)

Glad you liked it....it was fun doing and even with those two big batteries those three bladed props pulled that thing up in the air like a rocket ship! Ive since moved on now to autonomous flight with the P2 and Iris. Still have the retracts and also a set for my 550.

I'd take another look at it Hiway.... 1300g+ is what my Phantom flys on all flights so weight isn't the main issue. Its the stability that is the kicker. Some retract servos allow you to mechanically limit them (so they stop at 45 degrees). That would get the legs out of the way of the camera and, while not looking 'fully up' they might help keep the CG manageable.

Also iirc you were playing with gains at one point on the P1.5 thread and had them pretty high. I had to turn my gains waaaaay down on the F450 to tune out the oscilation caused by those legs. This is how my first flight with them went:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0J6YSuJsHQ[/youtube]

Loving those vids Tac... pretty sure you can edit it the second one in youtube video editer to flip it over and save us all from doing hand stands! :lol:

DeweyAXD said:
I'd take another look at it Hiway.... 1300g+ is what my Phantom flys on all flights so weight isn't the main issue. Its the stability that is the kicker. Some retract servos allow you to mechanically limit them (so they stop at 45 degrees). That would get the legs out of the way of the camera and, while not looking 'fully up' they might help keep the CG manageable.

Also iirc you were playing with gains at one point on the P1.5 thread and had them pretty high. I had to turn my gains waaaaay down on the F450 to tune out the oscilation caused by those legs. ...:

Now I am really cornfused...

I took the afternoon to dwell on everything- absorb what you said- pour over a few vids, and then I went back up and tore the Phantom down to be sure there were no anomalies on the wiring, or the order of motors to the M1-M4 on the Naza... just grasping at straws.

I came to some very uncertain conclusions:

1. I cannot be dealing with weight- you have confirmed that my weight is within the realms of flight.
2. Despite you pointing out the inherent issues with CoG and the Naza, and weight to the sides and not under, I have to point to thetac's vid where he has his dual batteries side mounted... I can promise you that my retracts weigh far less than a lipo 3S... much, much less- in fact, both of them combined weigh maybe half, if that, of a single regular 11.1v lipo 3S... so I am truly scratching my head.
3. There is no doubt in my mind the motors seem to lack power- my gains are at 125 across the board and yaw is at 100 (as well as the column next to it- forgot it's designation) Now I can drop those, but this bird flew those 2 side mounted lipos with a goodluckbuy cnc gimbal with that massive landing skid seen in thetacs vid... and with smaller props I might ad. Why would this config not get off the ground more than a foot? Then again, perhaps it would, but I was not willing to take my brand new CM3000 for a death trip, and there was little doubt the Phantom was not willing to fly right.

...so I am not so sure now that my placement is as much an issue as some other possibility. I could put the t-motors in- but I don't really think my stock motors are the issue- they sound fine... not even the telltale sound of bearing wear as I have heard in others... so this is truly puzzling me.

I also am at a loss to conceive, or maybe my spirit is a bit scuffed right now, at how to reconfigure these to be placed lower without adding a bit more material somehow- I was so happy with this simple fabrication.

As for the 45 degree stop- these are 90 degree fixed with a shutoff on the draw... the guy makes 45 degree, and I agree with not needing them to move back very far, and in fact, with basic yaw follow, fixed skids are fine bar the front end of the skids on pitch with wide angle- but that was not the goal and I am not trying to move the posts.

I suppose a day or two, and some more staring at it... maybe I will put it under my pillow and try osmosis... but I am not as defeated thanks to your input, and instead now further into the woods in what could be causing my trouble.

Please do sleep on. You have done some ground breaking steps in the "Next Cool Thing for the Phantom". I personally think you are close to a break through and I like how you think.

dcoski said:
... I like how you think.

What? The smell of burning?

Thanks- I am still at a loss- my next step is to try backing the gains down to 100 across the board as in stock and giving her another go.

I am definitely missing a key factor here- especially if d3weys is flying at 1300+g ... my 1360g AUW should not be such a pig. I do think his comment on gains and oscillations is what I am dealing with, but my instincts say it is something else entirely- maybe I broke something in the last fall before this rebuild and it is hard to isolate.

As for unique and breaking- many other folks have put retracts on their Phantoms... successfully. I am not there yet.

Whoever is in a hurry shows that the thing he is about is too big for him. ~Lord Chesterfield

Wonderful day... my best friend who happens to be my wife celebrated her birthday today, and I took her to our favorite restaurant this evening and we made like royalty- the weather was mild, and the pace leisurely.... and other than the nagging of this problem my mind was free.

I sat at the workbench pondering the trouble... sipping coffee, and smoking too many cigarettes. I turned on the music. Thrummed my fingers on the table... fiddled with the nuts and bolts and various parts that lay about (I am not very tidy)

As I reach to knock an ash off in the old glass ashtray my grandfather gave me (he turned 100 this year- came back on the USS Enterprise from WW2) and picked up one of those old, circa 1975 "Super Balls" you could get from a gumball machine for a nickel. I have a habit of using it as a tactile device when thinking. I set the ball down on the bench and was mindlessly rolling it to the back wall and bouncing it back to me... "thunk-tudder-tudder-throlll, thunk-tudder-tudder-throll" as I slowly decrease the velocity was the sound it made. As I slowed, and simulataneous thinking and humming along with the music, I began to use effort to keep it on track to the wall and back... and I noticed something: The ball was rolling down the table, and it also was not coming back unless it had enough force- otherwise it would go astray, and then it hit me:

I had done an advanced calibration before taking it out- it was the last thing I did before the compass dance. I never leveled, or made my workbench tight when I mucked out the room and set all the stuff up and unboxed old r/c gear. I had done a calibration on a very uneven surface. I now suspect that this may have been a massive rookie oversight. I will not know until I have time to put everything back together, tediously level the table, and then recalibrate.

I am not holding my breath- but it is definitely a mitigating factor to flight characteristics and how the Phantom reads it's place in space.

Just a quick update- I had to source, and buy some specific parts and I am waiting on them. I have some slight modifications planned, and with some minor adjustments and a recalibration and gain retuning, I am going to give this setup a 2nd try. I have flown it with the stock landing gear and standoffs- but that isn't the goal. I have been preoccupied of late with some other builds and the weather broke- I have been flying.

I have been busy... all things multirotor have me in a tizzy... almost schizzy, fo shizzy my nizzies life's been a whirl-

-but pretty as a pearl, and as fine as the memory of my first girl.

*special thanks to d3wey for redirecting me before I walked away from it. I also want to thank the rest of you fine folks (OP I am looking at you- and you ElG, and a few others) who have provided past moral support and attaboys (ozzy I ain't forgettin you mate)

For the time being, a little pudding for proof:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJ1jYTtQDyE

...and what has preoccupied me for the last few weeks as I am getting all my machines in order for the warm weather:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1htfqrCoto

Hiway said:
For the time being, a little pudding for proof:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJ1jYTtQDyE

YESS!!! I actually applauded when I saw them lift the first time, startled my girl and my cat :D

I know you must feel like a million bucks after that, I know that buzz in the back of your head wasn't going to let you rest until you took that problem out back and beat the tar out of it...and indeed you have ;)

That little buzzflyer is pretty hot too. Looks like you could toss that thing around to your heart's content.

Nice. I thought you were almost there. Just need to stew a little longer. Looks like you are almost set for the summer. Nice work.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik