Phantom standard signal loos

Reaction score
I have a Phantom 3 standard that flies perfect....except it losses signal at around 350 feet out and returns home. Is this something I can fix ? Thanks

Take it out of beginners mode in the app.
I have never used beginners mode, but I'm pretty sure it is not going to loose signal and RTH.

Rod

I have a Phantom 3 standard that flies perfect....except it losses signal at around 350 feet out and returns home. Is this something I can fix ? Thanks
Welcome to the Forum!

Need some history, has it every worked correctly?

Rod

As mentioned earlier, some additional history would be helpful. Did you buy it used? Any chance it's been crashed? Could be you have a loose antenna either in the AC or RC.

I had the exact same issue. Turns out it was my main board. DJI repaired it under warranty.

As mentioned earlier, some additional history would be helpful. Did you buy it used? Any chance it's been crashed? Could be you have a loose antenna either in the AC or RC.

I had the exact same issue. Turns out it was my main board. DJI repaired it under warranty.
I did buy it used. The previous owner told me about the signal issue before I bought it. its my first DJI and have been learning the basic's with it, its great for flying within the 350 ft range. thought if I could get it fixed I would. I do not see any signs of a crash, no scuff marks or cracks. Also it looses signal at 350-375 ft even at different flying locations. I am also using the antenna booster ( gold force shield looking thing) and am trying to keep antenna pointed towards AC. I would assume it is out of warranty....

Set your Phantom on an object like 200 ft away, etc. So it not setting on the ground, no need to fly it, just have it powered on. Then watch your remote control signals, are the consistent or are they bouncing all over?

Note: Do this on a new power up, or pull the props.
Reason, If you have flown your Phantom and landed but the props are still powered on. It has been said that if it looses signal from the remote, it wil actually take back off in flight to return to home. ;) o_O

Rod

I have a P3S too and I sometimes have signal quality issues depending on where I fly. When my Phantom was new almost 3 years ago I was able to get out to around 500m (1640ft). Could have gone farther but I would have gone out of VLOS. This was over water and straight out without a parabolic reflector (windsurfer). Today, I can’t get that. Not sure if it is because there is more powerful WiFi networks than there were 3 years ago or if the firmware updates I have done since then have had an effect on range.

Have you tried flying straight out over water in an area where there is little or no interference? If so, maybe a range extender will help with your range. I have been thinking about one myself just to improve my signal but still stay within VLOS.

Chris

@Chrislaf,

What do you think your getting now?
Do you think you could pinpoint timing related to Firmware updates?

Rod

@Chrislaf,

What do you think your getting now?
Do you think you could pinpoint timing related to Firmware updates?

Rod
I can usually get out to almost 300m with my reflector on. I have been meaning to try to see if I can get out to the 500m mark again in the same area I got it before. I always keep my firmware updated so I can’t pinpoint when the range may have decreased. Never has been much of a concern as I have always flown within VLOS.

Chris

Set your Phantom on an object like 200 ft away, etc. So it not setting on the ground, no need to fly it, just have it powered on. Then watch your remote control signals, are the consistent or are they bouncing all over?

Note: Do this on a new power up, or pull the props.
Reason, If you have flown your Phantom and landed but the props are still powered on. It has been said that if it looses signal from the remote, it wil actually take back off in flight to return to home. ;) o_O

Rod
Not sure how to see remote controll signals. I did walk out 215 feet from AC and nothing on the app changed. Here is what im seeing on the app

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191127-151201_DJI GO.jpg
    Screenshot_20191127-151201_DJI GO.jpg
    417 KB · Views: 119
@Planetime2, I not sure about yours, my problem the signal would bounce Good, Bad and Ugly, standing completely still. At 100'

Rod

Well I appreciate your help. Would like to fix it if I could, I don't think it would be worth sending in and getting refurbish by DJI. Looking to upgrade to the pro and maybe I'll keep this one for a beater or to let someone else learn to fly.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic