Phantom Rain - Sport mode vs Intensity of the winds

PhantomWetSuits

Approved Vendor
Reaction score
There are great plans , than there are the mice, Sport mode was not enough to get the drone over the lake.
It was 14 degrees (F) , 25 mph winds and flying from inside the car was the Game Plan. Recovering the drone the adventure.

Reactions: Hounddog
There are great plans , than there are the mice, Sport mode was not enough to get the drone over the lake.
It was 14 degrees (F) , 25 mph winds and flying from inside the car was the Game Plan. Recovering the drone the adventure.

Those winds might of been greater than the 17 to 20 you mention or at least gusting to to higher speeds. Anytime I see winds of 12 or more on a weather app I bust out my portable anemometer for better accuracy in my location. Phantom 4 max wind resistance is 22.4 mph.
In a thread here someone mentions where the wind stole his drone.

Reactions: PhantomWetSuits
Those winds might of been greater than the 17 to 20 you mention or at least gusting to to higher speeds. Anytime I see winds of 12 or more on a weather app I bust out my portable anemometer for better accuracy in my location. Phantom 4 max wind resistance is 22.4 mph.
In a thread here someone mentions where the wind stole his drone.

Can you recommend a meter , or an app for the wind speed ?

Can you recommend a meter , or an app for the wind speed ?

I use ‎WunderStation on my iPad, it lets me choose private weather stations closest to my flight area.
IMG_0354.jpg
these readings are current conditions not forecast conditions. If you use iPhone you use ‎Weather Underground: Forecast. The Anemometer I use is https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FTPX566/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_tai_TGgtCb There are many others at different prices on Amazon.
There are products out there that let you fly in the rain and snow, and even keep your bird warm, but the #1 weather condition I always look at is wind. It is going to affect every aspect of your flight and if your bird goes into ATTI mode and you are not skilled flying in this mode it is bye bye birdie.

Last edited:
You can purchase a PWS and get it hooked up on this app as well.
Personal Weather Station Network | Weather Underground

Just got the app, showing the winds were 30 to 40 mph on the graph the day I flew.
It says now today 0/0 winds , so it will be interesting to see if by the time I get to the lake front , how much that is going to change, Im using the Iphone so WU is what Im working with now. I appreciate the info.

Just fired Alexa !

Last edited:
Just got the app, showing the winds were 30 to 40 mph on the graph the day I flew.
It says now today 0/0 winds , so it will be interesting to see if by the time I get to the lake front , how much that is going to change, Im using the Iphone so WU is what Im working with now. I appreciate the info.

Just fired Alexa !

LOL...anytime you get weather data from any app you have to wonder where they got their data from. With WunderStation you know exactly where you got it. Both of the apps use the same private weather stations. Go easy on Alexa, she’s great at many other things.

I was a dedicated Weather Underground user (with shipping work as part of our folio - weather info is vital) ... but later changed to Windguru. Reason for change was odd bad forecasts and that costs us time - that means money.

Windguru although designed for windsurfers has proven itself many times in our Ship to Ship operations as well as when I check before going flying.

Putting ships together or barges alongside needs accurate forecasting ...

I don’t use WU for forecasting as I do for current conditions, in particular wind direction and speed. That’s the most important weather condition to me when deciding if I should fly. I also use ‎MyRadar NOAA Weather Radar to check for any precipitation coming my way.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jorge sanchez