Phantom Pilots of Southern California

Hello to Southern California Phantom operators. In addition to drone flying, I belong to an amateur astronomical group that has a large observing site out in the Mohave Desert near Landers. The area is generally flat, with a few prominent hills/mountains, and the density of human activity is pretty low. While the 29 Palms Marine Base is not far away (and definitely has a NFZ), the area around the site stretching for miles is clear for recreational sUAS flights. From the Riverside area, it is about a 90 minute drive. Check out the photo below.

There are some interesting things to video or photograph nearby including Goat Mountain, the Integratron (look it up - wacky story), Big Rock (ditto), Whitehorse Ranch and the desert landscape in general. Note: Some of these and other targets will require a short drive from the observing site to reach a suitable launch location.

I am thinking about hosting a Phantom Fly-in in either March or April 2016, while it is still reasonably cool at the observing site. It needs to be on a low astronomical activity weekend - the full moon weekend, for example - so our flights don't conflict with the primary purpose of the site. Sunday, March 20th, or Sunday, April 24th, look like they could work. Time wise, maybe its 10 AM to mid/late afternoon.

On-site there are about 20 concrete pads - all with electric outlets - that can be used as launch and recharging locations. There are also restroom facilities and picnic tables for breaks. I might also be able to arrange for accessible WiFi for map updates. There wouldn't be a formal charge for the event, but a $5 donation would be appreciated and would help pay for bottles of iced water (need to stay hydrated). We can easily accommodate several dozen flyers.

If this interests you, please send me an email at [email protected] and maybe leave a posting here. If it looks like people want to do this, I'll set a date and distribute instructions.

GMARS-Feb2016-starparty.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Malcolm Reynolds
I used to live below the dam! My property was right up against the wash. Which field are you talking about? up at Mountain and 25th ?

Hit the google map link I have in my first reply it should take you directly to the spot. Its on Padua.

Sorry. Missed the link.. That's right across (and a bit below) from where I used to live (end of Electric Ave)..
I'll go check it out.. Probably Tuesday or Wednesday.

Sounds good its a cool little spot. I see your flying up by the BIG high school over in Rancho. Have you flown over by the preserve area at the top of that road that ends where everyone parks and hikes in? Looks like a good spot to fly up by the preserve.

Link to that spot at the top of Ediwanda Ave.
Google Maps

I flew in a big open area just below the preserve a week or two ago.. Wasn't sure if I was allowed to fly in the preserve or not.. A Sheriff busted me because it was private property - didn't care about the drone, but where I parked my Jeep.. He said "why don't you just go fly in the preserve?" .. I'll be hitting the preserve soon - but there are a lot of power lines ..

Whale watching is prime time in Feb off Palos Verdes Pennisula, this is migration season. This capture shows Catalina in the background, but no whales. Did not see any today, but reports are good most days. I'll be going back to find some to get some shots. If you can locate them around high noon when sun is directly overhead you can easily track them in the water.

upload_2016-2-15_18-24-25.png

Looks like it's too close to Cable Airport? Less than 5 miles.

Flying within five miles is not banned - it just requires notification of the airport authorities. Also, the approach pattern for prevailing wind runway at Cable is to the south of the airport. The likelihood of conflict with manned aircraft is pretty small.

Whale watching is prime time in Feb off Palos Verdes Pennisula, this is migration season. This capture shows Catalina in the background, but no whales. Did not see any today, but reports are good most days. I'll be going back to find some to get some shots. If you can locate them around high noon when sun is directly overhead you can easily track them in the water.
Yea, I keep missing them by just a couple hours off the South OC coast. They come much closer to the coast on their migration back north. Any idea if their behavior and proximity to the coast has anything to do with currents or ride level?

Looks like it's too close to Cable Airport? Less than 5 miles.

Flying within five miles is not banned - it just requires notification of the airport authorities. Also, the approach pattern for prevailing wind runway at Cable is to the south of the airport. The likelihood of conflict with manned aircraft is pretty small.

Yea cable is a non controlled tower, no one there. I think for non controlled small airports its 3 miles. Controlled airports its 5 miles. Correct me if I wrong though.

View attachment 43915

Any websites you follow for daily reports? Wondering if Emerald Bay is too far inland from the migration path to catch them with the P3P

Any websites you follow for daily reports? Wondering if Emerald Bay is too far inland from the migration path to catch them with the P3P
This page has a link to a daily report of grey whale spottings from shoreline at Point Vicente, at the tip of Palo Verdes Peninsula. Yesterday there were 39 spottings from shore, 35 of them northbound.

The stats show a total of 160 northboard spotted since Dec 1, so we're at the beginning of their return to Alaska waters. There appears to be another ~1100 that will pass by in the next several months, based on how many were spotted going southbound since Dec 1.

I would guess that Emerald would be too far away from their migration path.

Last edited:
This page has a link to a daily report of grey whale spottings from shoreline at Point Vicente, at the tip of Palo Verdes Peninsula. Yesterday there were 39 spottings from shore, 35 of them northbound.

The stats show a total of 160 northboard spotted since Dec 1, so we're at the beginning of their return to Alaska waters. There appears to be another ~1100 that will pass by in the next several months, based on how many were spotted going southbound since Dec 1.

I would guess that Emerald would be too far away from their migration path.

Definitely making their way back north. Saw a few - but need some practice getting it out over the water and where they're at.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj