Phantom Pilots of Southern California

Correct, many public overlooks along the coast are posted no model flying, but I still find good places unposted around RPV peninsula.
What parts of pv have signs? I have flown almost the whole cliff side from Redondo to pedro and haven't experienced any problems or signs? I have seen some by the POLA.

WRC+DJI= A Thing of Beauty

Most of the nice turnouts with viewpoints have no fly signs, you have to look for them. "No flying models" is one line of about 15 other things you can't do. But even without those areas, with some Google street view hunting you can find nice spots to fly that aren't posted. RPV Is one of my favorite areas in So Calif, especially in spring time when whales are migrating North. Here's a nice cliff to launch from at Point Vicente to see whales. Free parking is about 1200' West in the lighthouse dirt parking lot.

Google Maps

Last edited:
Here's a video I made while in Abalone Cove hiking around RPV. I used my iPhone 6+, GoPro Hero 3 and P3A.

I am looking for places to fly closer to home on a regular basis just to practice different maneuvers for capturing video. I am located in Orange, CA and have found this place called El Modena Open Space. It is basically what it is called, open space. Its a small hill with a bunch of cactus. I'd like to go flying there and I'm sure nobody will have a problem with it but the only thing that has me worried is that IF my bird goes down I have to really fight for it to get it back. There's a lot of cactus.

Last edited:
Santa Clarita area Phantom and Solo pilot. Willing to meet up. Some good places to fly here.

I just saw this thread. I'm in Sylmar, let me know of a future meet up..

I work in Santa Clarita and I have been looking for places to fly. I would be interested in a meet up.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I live in Sylmar, need new places to go fly. Let me know of future meet ups.

Most of the nice turnouts with viewpoints have no fly signs, you have to look for them. "No flying models" is one line of about 15 other things you can't do. But even without those areas, with some Google street view hunting you can find nice spots to fly that aren't posted. RPV Is one of my favorite areas in So Calif, especially in spring time when whales are migrating North. Here's a nice cliff to launch from at Point Vicente to see whales. Free parking is about 1200' West in the lighthouse dirt parking lot.

Google Maps

I am in Sylmar but looking for new places to fly. There is a park close by that I go to, El Cariso and Veterans park. There is a gold course in El Cariso that I use to practice my Autopilot missions, only problem is there some interference in that particular area. I frequently get weak signals error messages and disconnects, the RC stays connected but lose the FPV. In a way I like that because I can practice and make sure my RTH works.

John Locke, Where is this cliff that you launch from? I am going to plan a trip to RPV to go fly... Need new places.

Google Maps

We took a drive through Palos Verdes this past Saturday and the views are awesome. We stopped at a couple of the viewpoints as well. At one of the points there was a trail that led to the bottom where the water shoreline was. Seemed like a great spot to get some shots but I didn't check the signs for no flying. Nonetheless the next time we go down I'm bringing my bird.

We took a drive through Palos Verdes this past Saturday and the views are awesome. We stopped at a couple of the viewpoints as well. At one of the points there was a trail that led to the bottom where the water shoreline was. Seemed like a great spot to get some shots but I didn't check the signs for no flying. Nonetheless the next time we go down I'm bringing my bird.
Usually at the top of the trail as you enter the trial going down to the beach you'll see of sign of "Rules". Toward the end of the rules it forbids flying RC models. I simply go elsewhere to launch, since our drones can launch from most anywhere. Google maps will also show you where the park reserves are, which often have no fly rules.

Here's a favorite place. It's about a 1000' hike from the dirt parking lot at the lighthouse. Just hike southeast along the road till you see the cliff on the right. The lighthouse is a neat flight, but in the spring time hunting for whales swimming by is epic, sometimes. That's hit or miss, finding whales within a couple miles of shore, but a great adventure.

upload_2016-8-23_16-11-38.png

upload_2016-8-23_16-12-44.png

Usually at the top of the trail as you enter the trial going down to the beach you'll see of sign of "Rules". Toward the end of the rules it forbids flying RC models. I simply go elsewhere to launch, since our drones can launch from most anywhere. Google maps will also show you where the park reserves are, which often have no fly rules.

Here's a favorite place. It's about a 1000' hike from the dirt parking lot at the lighthouse. Just hike southeast along the road till you see the cliff on the right. The lighthouse is a neat flight, but in the spring time hunting for whales swimming by is epic, sometimes. That's hit or miss, finding whales within a couple miles of shore, but a great adventure.

View attachment 63032

View attachment 63033
Awesome....thanks

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Hey all,

Pilot in Fountain Valley here. Would love to meet up with some other pilots nearby if anyone is interested. I've got a P3A that I fly around the neighborhood here near Mile Square, but took her out to HB today and had some fun as well as some good conversation from inquisitive minds. Send me a message if you're interested in meeting up!

I am going to go flying this evening. I have a spot in Whittier where I fly. I have to hike up to the top of this hill which takes about an hour or so and then launch from there. I work 2 jobs and have a family so lately getting the time to fly hasn't been easy. But I usually like hiking to the top of some hill where I have at least a mile all the way around me to fly. I get my exercise and some flytime.

Im in Fountain Valley. There are some great places to fly that are both within AMA guidelines (Costa Mesa and FV) and on the outside of that. Great canyons near Laguna beach, Cliffs off HB, lots of stuff. My list is getting long. Id love to hear about other pilots favorite spots.

James
Can you give a bit more detail. I'm new but confused about locations I can fly as a beginner without have to worry a cops hassling me. I'm in Huntington Beach. I'm aware of Fairview and Great park. But I have no desire to join clubs or AMA or pay for city permits just to learn.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you give a bit more detail. I'm new but confused about locations I can fly as a beginner without have to worry a cops hassling me. I'm in Huntington Beach. I'm aware of Fairview and Great park. But I have no desire to join clubs or AMA or pay for city permits just to learn.
Nobody! Nothing to add!

Being from Huntington Beach and new to DJI and drones, I've only been flying my Phantom 4 for two weeks (tomorrow) and I'm trying to fly wherever and whenever I can.

Here is from Sunset Marina earlier this week ...

Tonight (Friday) ...

Southern end of the Bolsa Chica Wetlands area ...

I'm in Sylmar if you want to meet up.
Another pilot, from this forum, and I met recently at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena to get nice vid footage. I used Autopilot to run this mission.
Check it out:

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

View attachment 63032

View attachment 63033

Heading down to LB this weekend so planning to fly here Saturday early AM (hopefully). There was a video I seen from another flyer where he launched from the dirt parking area but my concern is how many people will be around in the AM. That would be cool to fly to get footage of the lighthouse area. I think he went early AM cause I hardly saw any cars there. Or might just hike to the cliffs you pointed out in the map.

Hopefully the weather isn't too bad............just a litte paranoid to because it'll be over a cliff/water..LoL.

Last edited:
There was a video I seen from another flyer where he launched from the dirt parking area but my concern is how many people will be around in the AM. ... I think he went early AM cause I hardly saw any cars there.

That would be me. I launched around 09:00 on a Saturday. There were only a few cars there. This could be hit-or-miss because you'll never know if a tour bus would be there or not. Also, check the lighthouse's website to see if it is open to tourists on the day you want to fly. It is only open one day a month to visitors. In the video below, scrub over to 03:30 and you'll see the parking lot and the cars (or lack thereof). Keep in mind that if you go beyond that dirt lot to the paved lot and grass area toward the interpretive center, it's a city park and is therefore illegal to launch from there.

The wind is more conducive to flying in the morning because the afternoon winds definitely blow greater than 25 km/h, with faster gusts.

90% of the time, I have someone approach me when flying to ask questions. This time and location was no exception. Just be nice.

Here are my recommendations to anyone flying in "unknown territory" (e.g.not knowing if it is a UAV-friendly area or not):
  • Do your research ahead of time. Know the area with respect to the terrain, trees, and other vertical obstructions.
  • Do not "loiter" and fiddle around with your aircraft out in the open. Put your props on and other configuration/setup while it is in your car/trunk/boot. If you are on foot with your aircraft in a case/backpack/etc, quickly do this at the launch site.
  • Take your aircraft to the launch site and perform a compass calibration (if necessary)
  • Launch quickly to a good height (30 m or 100' or more) and do a quick controls check (yaw, rudder, etc).
  • Climb to cruising altitude (high enough to not be heard)
  • Do not hover close to the ground! (hovering draws attention and it also increases suspicion)
  • If asked about what you are doing, DO NOT use the word "DRONE"! Refer to it as a quadcopter and say you are flying around as a hobby for recreational purposes (if that is what you are doing)
  • Land quickly (again, no hovering)
  • Take aircraft quickly to its hanger (your car, backpack, case, etc).

Hopefully the weather isn't too bad............just a litte paranoid to because it'll be over a cliff/water
Just be aware that if you decide to video the cool shoreline with the crashing waves on the rocks below, you probably will be in a sub-altitude flight (negative altitude). In other words, you could be flying below your launch site's altitude and your altimeter will show negative (-15 meters, for example). Do not be alarmed—that's how the DJI Go app and the Phantom work.

Finally, as a responsible pilot, do your homework/research of your flight path. Remember this is not a toy. You'll need to reference the Google Earth application and/or hivemapper.com to familiarize yourself with the terrain. For example, the cliff is about 35m MSL. The lighthouse is shorter than the tree next to it, which is about 60m MSL. Set your RTH height to the height above the trees, but set it relative to your launch altitude. Therefore, some math is involved! ;)

Thanks for the tips. I'm always down in So Cali but have yet to fly because of the different rules that each city may have and more people around that can possibly make a scene, etc. Here in Fresno there are wide open areas all over the place, especially around the outskirts of Fresno but there are so few places to get nice shots.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4