Phantom Pilots of Southern California

So basically in OC and LA you can fly above your backyard and AMA fields. No parks or beaches. And obviously over someone else properties is questionable at best?

State park and national parks are iut of question as well.

Am I missing anywhere yiu can fly?

Ps. I have to say that I was flying down field of an airport runway (got video if anyone care to see. Beautiful shots.) and a police drove up and kindly informed me that I can't fly there and there was an AMA field near by that I would fly. She then give us some space (moved about 50 feet away) and watched us pack up and leave.

e696f23bbb35403a403215d8cf95bab9.jpg

Wow i cant believe you thought it was ok to fly that close to an airport. This is what is all over the media. Smh

So basically in OC and LA you can fly above your backyard and AMA fields. No parks or beaches. And obviously over someone else properties is questionable at best?

Ps. I have to say that I was flying down field of an airport runway (got video if anyone care to see. Beautiful shots.) and a police drove up and kindly informed me that I can't fly there and there was an AMA field near by that I would fly. She then give us some space (moved about 50 feet away) and watched us pack up and leave.

What were you thinking when you committed this cardinal sin, not only flying near an airport, but right next to it, and in the flight path. Are you insane?

And this is why drones are getting bad press...Wow.

What were you thinking when you committed this cardinal sin, not only flying near an airport, but right next to it, and in the flight path. Are you insane?

Sin? I don't see it. Under 400 ft, VLOS, away from people (I don't see people in the picture do you?). By the book baby.

What sorta sin are you talking about?

Anyway, I wasn't right next to it. I was directly above it flying down the runway. And no, I am not insane.

Last edited:
And this is why drones are getting bad press...Wow.

I don't think I made it to the news or would ever make it to the news for flying there. So I am not sure what bad press I would be providing that you are referring to.

Last edited:
Easy people. I believe that is the closed MCAS El Toro base. He is pulling your chain.

Wow i cant believe you thought it was ok to fly that close to an airport. This is what is all over the media. Smh

Yeah. I think I am a better judge than you when it comes to determining if it was OKto fly there or not.

Sin? I don't see it. Under 400 ft, VLOS, away from people (I don't see people in the picture do you?). By the book baby.

What sorta sin are you talking about?

Anyway, I wasn't right next to it. I was directly above it flying down the runway. And no, I am not insane.
I already stated three sins, how many more do you need? This is so ridiculous you must be yanking our chains.

I already stated three sins, how many more do you need? This is so ridiculous you must be yanking our chains.

It's more like you are so eager to jump on people that you don't bother to look at the photo. I guess that makes you feel holier than thou. I suggest you get off your high horse and stop being so sanctimonious when you have no reason to. You don't even bother to at least verify if what you are accusing me of is true or not. You just went right ahead making all kind of assumption based on some kind of inflated ego and hurl accusations. Seeing that you are from Orange County and this is a thread on flying in Orange County, SURELY, this particular location isn't foreign to you, is it? How many airport of this size can you count in OC anyway? And does it look anywhere remotely like John Wayne?

So I am sure you understand if I don't take advice from people who behave so rashly.

Do you see any terminals/buildings shown in the picture?
Do you see any planes parked, on the runway, in the sky, anywhere in the picture?
Do you see that orange balloon to the left?
Do you see runway light? And lights going off to the side?

So tell me, WHY can't I fly there? (and no, don't go getting on your horse and start making unfounded assumptions again) You seem to know the area better than I do even though I was there at location and you weren't.

BTW, I've boxed some areas I like you to looked at since you seem to have missed it the first time (probably too busy hitting the reply button and missed it).

I know what I am doing. And I know better than you in this instance seeing I was there and you weren't.

Last edited:
In case anyone has been curious, I had my court date come and go last week with no charges filed by the Long Beach City Prosecutor (Doug Haubert)'s office for Disturbing the Peace (M) allegedly created by prop noise from the operation of a Phantom 3 over a public beach (perfectly legal use case, obviously why nothing was formally filed in court). One of several take-away points from this, was that if the pitbull of a cop who cited me had not been so dead set on creating a criminal record for me and/or forcing me to contemplate the fear of a jail sentence, he would have written the ticket as an infraction instead of a misdemeanor. Had he done that, I would have mailed the city the $400 "bail" fine amount prior to Thanksgiving and everyone would consider themselves winners. Instead, the city technically lost money in the form of paying court clerks to answer my pitbull of an attorney's inquiries for the past 3 months and were able to gain nothing from this zealous officer's attempt to misuse his authority...and I certainly spent more than $400 in legal fees covering my end.

I was told effective Jan 1, Long Beach PD began following the FAA-provided guidance on dealing with drone complaints and threw out everything prior...which is great because that guidance really does protect hobby operators and supersedes local and state laws on the subject. As a result, I feel *more* protected today than I did in October when I received my ticket.

As for my Phantom 3 Pro...its been sitting in the case for nearly a month now waiting to potentially be used as evidence....it might be time to move on to another copter or an alternative hobby. I get the feeling I'll be talking to more cops if I keep flying. I'm not interested in shipping (yet) but if any locals are interested shoot me a message for a steal on a 4 battery+hard case+filters+DBSmods installed, etc.

I don't read instructions or rules, so if that last bit violates anything due to this being a locals thread not a classified thread, please feel free to moderator-edit my post, or inform me and I'll edit it tomorrow.

Cheers

P.S. I was all by myself at the boat parade...and nearly got rained out but...

In case anyone has been curious, I had my court date come and go last week with no charges filed by the Long Beach City Prosecutor (Doug Haubert)'s office for Disturbing the Peace (M) allegedly created by prop noise from the operation of a Phantom 3 over a public beach (perfectly legal use case, obviously why nothing was formally filed in court). One of several take-away points from this, was that if the pitbull of a cop who cited me had not been so dead set on creating a criminal record for me and/or forcing me to contemplate the fear of a jail sentence, he would have written the ticket as an infraction instead of a misdemeanor. Had he done that, I would have mailed the city the $400 "bail" fine amount prior to Thanksgiving and everyone would consider themselves winners. Instead, the city technically lost money in the form of paying court clerks to answer my pitbull of an attorney's inquiries for the past 3 months and were able to gain nothing from this zealous officer's attempt to misuse his authority...and I certainly spent more than $400 in legal fees covering my end.

I was told effective Jan 1, Long Beach PD began following the FAA-provided guidance on dealing with drone complaints and threw out everything prior...which is great because that guidance really does protect hobby operators and supersedes local and state laws on the subject. As a result, I feel *more* protected today than I did in October when I received my ticket.

As for my Phantom 3 Pro...its been sitting in the case for nearly a month now waiting to potentially be used as evidence....it might be time to move on to another copter or an alternative hobby. I get the feeling I'll be talking to more cops if I keep flying. I'm not interested in shipping (yet) but if any locals are interested shoot me a message for a steal on a 4 battery+hard case+filters+DBSmods installed, etc.

I don't read instructions or rules, so if that last bit violates anything due to this being a locals thread not a classified thread, please feel free to moderator-edit my post, or inform me and I'll edit it tomorrow.

Cheers

P.S. I was all by myself at the boat parade...and nearly got rained out but...

Since the FAA registration hit the fan, everyone is know set-up to get questioned or hassled when your out flying somewhere unless your at an RC field. That has been my thought on this. I've been out flying twice since the registration process started and I've been questioned once. I feel you though. It just takes some of the fun out of the hobby.

I am in Pomona.... within the 5 mile radius of Bracket Airfield.
I called the airport and spoke to a controller there about flying within the airspace and he said there wouldn't be a problem IF I stayed below the 200' pattern (they fly over my house on approach).
He also has a Phantom and is getting his 333, so he must fly for profit, but we had a nice conversation about the phantom.
I have only flown in my backyard keeping it under the tree line, but am getting used to the quad and calibrating the IMU as it does drift when yawing... got it pretty close though!

If you're within 5 miles of an airport...how do you even take off? DJI FlySafe should prevent this no?

But seriously the more I ponder this the more I want to build a 250 and fly it on private property rather than use the Phantom for a "dear cops, please find me and start a conversation" beacon. It's the most widely owned and operated consumer UAS...although this being socal I swear I see more Inspires... $_$

I am 2.4 miles from Brackett and fly a P2.
According to the assistant, I should be limited to about 200 feet (an estimation on my part), but I know the pattern IS 200 feet so I keep it under that.
I think that the fly safe would limit the altitude depending on how close to the airport I was.
Of course, if I WAS right at the airport, THEN I think I wouldn't be able to take off at all....
True about the inspires!!! $$$$... if only...

Does anyone or has anyone flown in the Carson/Long Beach area? Headed down there Saturday and wanted to get some flying time. Wondering if the city is strict on flying? Any requirements?

@regdawg FYI I have been arrested and released on scene (1 hour detainment, hands on the hood of the car, don't move, you *are* being detained type of a thing) for flying in Long Beach. Case never made it to court but I did have to have my attorney make a few calls.

The police here can be bought. If your flight pisses someone off who happens to be owed a favor from them, you're in for a bad day. That's what I learned...and I'm still pretty unhappy about it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie