Phantom Pilots in or around Tucson AZ.

This is a quickly edited video of a train passing over the Union Pacific trestle bridge in the Cienega Creek Natural Preserve at Marsh Station Road.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
View attachment 75116

I've wanted to fly down there but since it's a Pima County park, drones are not allowed. A permit is required to even park your car at Three Bridges parking lot. Did you get special permission to fly there?

Reactions: azgeek
I've wanted to fly down there but since it's a Pima County park, drones are not allowed. ...Did you get special permission to fly there?

Same thoughts here. I've wondered about what it would take to get a special use permit for a group. I am thinking about approaching the county to create a task force to look at opening up the county parks for responsible drone use. I'd certainly volunteer to come up with solutions, rather than just an outright ban.

Same thoughts here. I've wondered about what it would take to get a special use permit for a group. I am thinking about approaching the county to create a task force to look at opening up the county parks for responsible drone use. I'd certainly volunteer to come up with solutions, rather than just an outright ban.

Pima County Parks is aware of the FAA rules and what was discussed in a previous post. You can fly over the parks but not launch or control from within the park. There was mention of a dedicated drone park in order to comply with the FAA rule that a city can't outlaw flying unless there is a dedicated area. I would like to see possibly one weekend a month with possibly 2-4 weekdays per month when flying is allowed especially for Cienega. I really have no desire to fly in an urban public park.
Also, the cause is not helped by people trespassing on railroad property and posting drone video of them doing it.

Road is probably County or state? And then there would be the right away? Not arguing, just hoping ;)

Patrolled by the county. I'm not sure a Sheriff's deputy would know about the drone restrictions in the park, but they might. And the county park officials would likely hassle you if seen on the side of the road. YMMV, but I would certainly hope you would look to obtain a special use permit (if the county offers that as a solution) or look to fly elsewhere. We have way too many bad actors giving us all black eyes and a poor rep with the regulators AND the non-flying public.

Patrolled by the county. I'm not sure a Sheriff's deputy would know about the drone restrictions in the park, but they might. And the county park officials would likely hassle you if seen on the side of the road. YMMV, but I would certainly hope you would look to obtain a special use permit (if the county offers that as a solution) or look to fly elsewhere. We have way too many bad actors giving us all black eyes and a poor rep with the regulators AND the non-flying public.

Well said. The sheriff's department is aware of the ban since it was drones being flown irresponsibly at Tucson Mountain Park that gave us the ban in all county parks and open areas. I spoke with someone at county parks and they are trying to come up with a solution but he said they continue to have issues with droners not following the rules. There are plenty of other places to fly legally.

I didn't see any signs when I was there? Not complaining, just stating. And I fully understand and agree it's the pilots responsibility to know where they can fly.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I didn't see any signs when I was there? Not complaining, just stating. And I fully understand and agree it's the pilots responsibility to know where they can fly.

That's the problem with a lot of places. No signage and no consistency in communicating rules. I believe that responsible pilots will follow the rules/guidelines once known. It's ridiculous to have restrictions not readily apparent and then go into enforcement mode. It's got to be awareness, education, and then enforcement. What I really want is for Pima County Parks & Recreation to come up with a plan that allows for UAV flights rather than the current zero tolerance policy. (stepping off soapbox now...)

Hi Guys....

Brand new here....bought a Phantom 3 Advanced, and want to learn how to fly it.

I live in the N/W side, next to Saguaro Ranch. Watched the video posted earlier in the thread... ;)

Have a 2 seater Quad and trailer, for getting back to some 'nicer' areas....actually where I live is a nice spot too.We have a house on 6 acres, end of the road. I'm a retired (mostly, 5-6 events a yr still) photographer, so my schedule is usually wide open.

Info is a little hard to find...(or I'm having trouble anyway) w/certain things.....

Looking forward to meeting some people, and learning a thing or two.

Thanks!

RIck

I live in the N/W side, next to Saguaro Ranch.

Looking forward to meeting some people, and learning a thing or two.

Thanks!

RIck

Welcome aboard, Rick.

I posted a short video of a flight session out on Park Link Road between Oracle Junction and Picacho Peak from a couple of weeks ago. Fantastic area to fly. I was riding a motorcycle to get out there, so I was pretty far away from the Owl Head buttes. I was hoping to go out this weekend but you know what the weather is like, so that's not going to happen. PM me if interested in going out with me next weekend. Owl's Head Ranch Road looks to be the route to get into a better launch spot.

- Sam

Welcome aboard, Rick.

I posted a short video of a flight session out on Park Link Road between Oracle Junction and Picacho Peak from a couple of weeks ago. Fantastic area to fly. I was riding a motorcycle to get out there, so I was pretty far away from the Owl Head buttes. I was hoping to go out this weekend but you know what the weather is like, so that's not going to happen. PM me if interested in going out with me next weekend. Owl's Head Ranch Road looks to be the route to get into a better launch spot.

- Sam

Thanks Sam!

Pretty sure Saturday is wide open, and I'd love to go. I'll get back with you before the weekend....Thanks!!

Yeah my 'AirMap' app also didn't have it as a no fly zone.

That's part of the problem with all of these local restrictions. The FAA is responsible for airspace control, so virtually all maps are going to show airspace restrictions and not local drone operation restrictions. If I am understanding the regulations, the local entity would have to petition the FAA to consider an area as restricted airspace/no fly zone. But the FAA is not obligated to grant such restrictions.

Just put my bird in the air at City of Rocks state park in New Mexico. Did my research, should be no restrictions, nothing on website, no state ban, no signs. Within 5 minutes a volunteer is telling me they are allowed. 'It's not online, it's not posted, but no drones allowed due to a owl nest'. Not worth the confrontation, had already landed..... hopefully this all gets figured out soon.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic