Phantom 4P V2 vs Mavic 3

Reaction score
Any practical impressions yet?
By specifications:
The fly time is exceptional. The distance is even more! I'm wandering what's about VLOS.
No mech. shutter. Not so portable as mav2 I think.

M3 not for me. Not giving up my P4P’s.
There are pixel peepers out there that may have a different idea.
True fly time is yet to be determined for the M3, but will be known soon.
Distance isn’t a big deal when the P4P will do 10k feet. That‘s enough for me.

What’s tempting to me is the 12 bit sensor and low light performance.

By specifications:
The fly time is exceptional. The distance is even more! I'm wandering what's about VLOS.
Mavic 2 Pro, Mavic Air 2S and Phantom 4 Pro V2 all work about the same with some subtle differences in shutter and image. The Mavic 3 will exceed all of them with a better image quality especially at low light but at a much greater cost.

Phantom 4 Pro wins for VLOS as it is visible in the sky long after you lose the others.

Reactions: Falcon900 and Starz
If DJI has no plans with the Phantom line anymore they could at least add those items to Mav3 that are beneficial for phantoms when the comparison between Mav and P4P are discussed.

Does the Mav3 have the requisite remote ID stuff?

Here’s a good article on that. It’ll still be 2 years before you MUST have remote ID, and standards are still being worked out on how to broadcast it. Many of the newer Gen drones now will probably be able to be upgraded or have a firmware update when it’s time.

Still only 20 MP?? That's not what I waited a year for. Serious disappointment. Sticking with my P4P and M2P.
That is disaapointing, but OTOH, it has that second camera w8x tele lens. Only 12mp for stills but cool capability.
As usual video seems to be the beneficiary of most of the upgrades.

I owned the P1, P2, P3Pro and P4Pro I am still using it. Next January will be its 5th birthday. It's time to upgrade.
M3 RC does not have HDMI unless you buy the priced Smart RC. I have the extended module with HDMI that allows others see what I am seeing in my device.
Mechanical shutter has been discontinued.
I understand improvements in sensing, flight time, sensor size and others that M3 Standard has.
With the Mavic series a problem with the Phantom series has been fixed: flare bands because of the sun and the propellers when filming. Time to time this has been an annoyed issue.
For about 2 years I was thinking the new Mavic pro would have an optical zoom, at leas something modest like 24-48mm, but OPTICAL.
You have now the same focal distance lens 24mm and another one 160mm (it is remarkable how the gimbal works fine at that focal distance and longer with its digital zoom.
Most of reviews acclaiming the zoom. Who needs those DIGITAL steps? Well people streaming while filming, search and rescue, see far details to evaluate if it worth fly to that point.
The rest is possible in post-production. Even worse using digital zoom, you cannot zoom out in post.
50mm lens/20MP/full sensor? Not possible. 90mm lens/20MP/full sensor? Not possible. It doesn't make sense.
P4P and M2 have 3:2 ratio sensor size, M3 has a ratio 4:3. Keeping a 3:2 sensor ratio (wider sensor) videos would have higher size than 5.1
Cropping a 20MP 4:3 to 3:2 results in a 18.5MP.
My thougts.

By specifications:
Low light work will likely be much better in the Mavic 3. I would mainly want to upgrade for the smaller size. It would
be a little bit easier to travel with. Of course, flight time is huge. Longer flight time= less batteries buy and carry.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31