Phantom 4 video error - new user

Reaction score
I just picked up a Phantom 4 at an estate sale super cheap, looks hardly used, but I can't get the live video feed to work.

I found the thing about swapping out the video card and I tried both of the ones that were with it and two that I have from my Canon SLR, all have the same issue. Reformatted on my PC and tried again.

The drone flies fine, it even records photos and video to the card when I tell it to through the app, just no live feed so I can see what it's aimed at. It doesn't report any errors, I get a grey fog for video.

I'm not even 100% sure it's a phantom 4 (could be a pro or version 2, but there are no markings saying otherwise so I am guessing it is an entry level unit.)

Any help would be appreciated.

Reactions: xspwhite
You'll find the model number on the upper right corner of the manufacturer's certificate inside the battery compartment. Google the model number and you'll get your answer.

IMG_20190410_220659.jpg
IMG_20190410_220725.jpg
IMG_20190410_220758.jpg

Googling the WM330A model number returns results for Phantom "quadcopter" "advanced" and "pro". That's why I was ambivalent about which it might be. If I'm following some of what I've been reading correctly it's not a pro because it only has the two forward facing IR lenses, but I haven't found anything yet that would distinguish a base-model from the advanced since there are no markings that indicate the camera megapixels that I can find.

I think it's a P4 Standard. What is the model number on the back of your remote?

You are the proud owner of a Phantom 4 standard.

The controller is a GL300C and it has firmware 1.9.3 if that helps. The app is version 4.3.14 running on a google pixel. I haven't been able to determine the firmware on the Phantom yet because when I plug it into my windows 10 computer it just repeatedly connects and disconnects the USB port. It doesn't stay connected long enough for windows to even determine what the device is.

I'm confused as to why you would be plugging the aircraft into your computer?? We have determined that it is a Phantom 4 Standard. Turn on your remote, plug in your phone/tablet, turn on the aircraft, and once everything is connected; do a small test flight.

Make sure all batteries are fully charged including the remote. If the thought of doing a test flight is just to fighting, then hook it all up on your livingroom floor WITH NO PROPS ON THE CRAFT. Make sure you have the latest version of the dji go app installed on your phone/tablet and go through and check all settings on the aircraft. Return to home height, and so on and so on...

Let us know how it works out.

Last edited:
I'm confused as to why you would be plugging the aircraft into your computer??

I was following the instructions on The DJI website that recommended using their DJI Assistant 2 software to check/update the firmware version as a part of troubleshooting the lack of a live video feed. I also tried using app function to "check for updates" but when I tried that it just sat there with a spinning circle. I left it that way for an hour and finally shut down the app.

do a small test flight..........Let us know how it works out.
I did that before. It flies fine. It follows the joystick commands and even did a "return to base" commanded from the app. The only thing that doesn't seem to work is the video feed to the phone screen. The camera is working because I recorded video and took a couple of stills during the flight that saved to the on-board micro-SD card, but I couldn't tell what I was taking pictures of until I landed it and plugged the micro-SD into my desktop. All the functions I've been able to test work fine only the live-feed is messed up.

I was following the instructions on The DJI website that recommended using their DJI Assistant 2 software to check/update the firmware version as a part of troubleshooting the lack of a live video feed. I also tried using app function to "check for updates" but when I tried that it just sat there with a spinning circle. I left it that way for an hour and finally shut down the app.

I did that before. It flies fine. It follows the joystick commands and even did a "return to base" commanded from the app. The only thing that doesn't seem to work is the video feed to the phone screen. The camera is working because I recorded video and took a couple of stills during the flight that saved to the on-board micro-SD card, but I couldn't tell what I was taking pictures of until I landed it and plugged the micro-SD into my desktop. All the functions I've been able to test work fine only the live-feed is messed up.

I have a P4 Standard, and my video feed wont show up on a low end tablet, but it works fine on my Samsung s9 phone. The app is very demanding and requires lots of ram. As far as the update, your app will send you a message letting you know if an update is available. On another note, if the drone is functioning properly, then I wouldn't update. Doing that can bring unwanted problems.

Reactions: kiriansd
I'll see if someone has a newer phone or tablet they are willing to let me try, though my pixel isn't exactly old. I think I know someone that got a new iPad for Christmas.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic