Phantom 4 stress crack

When I found a stress crack on my P3 last week and called DJI, they told me the frame was not under warranty. I bought it March 31 from Amazon. I called Amazon and they took it back with full refund 3 weeks past the last date to return. I since bought a P4 that's in the mail. Many feel DJI put the quality back into this model. Now I'm reading about stress cracks found in it. GAD!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

At the end of the day here folks, were not in the birds. I know we don't want to crash them but does anyone know of a bird that crashed due to a stress crack?

They certainly don't invoke a feeling of greatness and invulnerability but in my P3A and my P3P, I never got a crack on my P3A and my P3P had a few, I didn't change the frame, just added epoxy and I haven't had a problem with it flying with several stress cracks (epoxied).

There are bigger concerns in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, if I was 2 inches tall, I wouldn't fly in it, but I would fly IT.

Last edited:
its like this once the competition heats up dji will have to produce better product and customer service and if they don't well they will lose out to others

Should not everybody get one for prevention? That's what I understand anyway... o_O
yes!

Not to completely go off topic. They used to say 40 but I think by 50, either all men, or all people should get a preventative colonoscopy. I know this because, again, father is a GI.

If you don't, you stand the risk of the definite polyps that exist in your colon turning into cancerous ones or cancer seeds being removed. Sorry if any of that terminology is wrong but yeah, if you want to not die of cancer by catching stuff early, almost all MDs recommend a colonoscopy by 40-50.

Man, that was not a post I wanted to make.

Reactions: MrDroneUK
So does a colonoscopy scope but I don't want one in my arse.
Scope??? You lucky!. They used an ARRI on me...:(

yes!

Not to completely go off topic. They used to say 40 but I think by 50, either all men, or all people should get a preventative colonoscopy. I know this because, again, father is a GI.

If you don't, you stand the risk of the definite polyps that exist in your colon turning into cancerous ones or cancer seeds being removed. Sorry if any of that terminology is wrong but yeah, if you want to not die of cancer by catching stuff early, almost all MDs recommend a colonoscopy by 40-50.

Man, that was not a post I wanted to make.
Insurance pays for this starting at 50, no sooner unless prescribed by a doctor with supporting evidence. It's cost prohibitive if you want it before that time. Then every 10yrs after that you can get one, sometimes sooner depending on the results of the first procedure.

Sorry for the high-jack.

Reactions: Jussaguy
As the OP noted, it's all about the use you put the bird through.

I got a pre-order P3 over a year ago and use it normally. It's a flying camera. So, I fly it when i want to take pictures and/or video. Since most things that make good pictures aren't high and far away, most of my missions aren't either.

Every product is built to a spec and/or a price. When pressed hard, some parts will eventually fail.

I'd be very surprised if the run-of-the-mill pilots with P4's get cracks in the shell.

That said, maybe they can learn from these hard users. I'm sure they didn't intend it to crack - even with hard use. It's just that it may be hard to simulate those exact stresses in the lab or in beta.

Speaking of well built my MacBook pro dropped from a 5 foot high dresser onto a hardwood floor. It made quite a noise and I thought that was the end. Well - I am here typing on it and it's perfect.
So, maybe for $1700 they could make it not crack even in 200 hard flights!

Reactions: Myetkt
As the OP noted, it's all about the use you put the bird through.

I got a pre-order P3 over a year ago and use it normally. It's a flying camera. So, I fly it when i want to take pictures and/or video. Since most things that make good pictures aren't high and far away, most of my missions aren't either.

Every product is built to a spec and/or a price. When pressed hard, some parts will eventually fail.

I'd be very surprised if the run-of-the-mill pilots with P4's get cracks in the shell.

That said, maybe they can learn from these hard users. I'm sure they didn't intend it to crack - even with hard use. It's just that it may be hard to simulate those exact stresses in the lab or in beta.

Speaking of well built my MacBook pro dropped from a 5 foot high dresser onto a hardwood floor. It made quite a noise and I thought that was the end. Well - I am here typing on it and it's perfect.
So, maybe for $1700 they could make it not crack even in 200 hard flights!
if dji didn't mean for a p4 to be ridden hard it wouldn't have sport mode

At the end of the day here folks, were not in the birds. I know we don't want to crash them but does anyone know of a bird that crashed due to a stress crack?

They certainly don't invoke a feeling of greatness and invulnerability but in my P3A and my P3P, I never got a crack on my P3A and my P3P had a few, I didn't change the frame, just added epoxy and I haven't had a problem with it flying with several stress cracks (epoxied).

There are bigger concerns in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, if I was 2 inches tall, I wouldn't fly in it, but I would fly IT.
Cracks not dealt with early on can lead to catastrophic results. I got so lucky on this, it happened at takeoff. On throttle-up it just fell over. The thin plastic motor mount finally gave way. Started with a very small crack, hairline. I put on zip-ties hoping to stop the spreading, but after another few months it finally caught up with me. It's a P3P btw.

IMG_1798.JPG

Well my p4 reach Carson Ca in a day and a half(live in ca). So far they say I'm covered by warranty, but I'm expecting the worse and hoping for the best...
2-3 weeks email said...

For me my P4 is a flying camera, yep I like to fly in p mode sometimes and bank hard because it's lotsa fun, it's still a flying camera. If I get the need for speed I will get a racer. Forces applied to the craft are to the square so twice the speed is 4 times the force. I have almost 1,000,000 feet and the craft is just like new. I think about these forces when I fly because I would like the bird to stay as dependable it can be. And for the price of this type of flying technology 1400 us is real cheap, I paid 30% more in Canada and this bird is worth every penny. My wife is having so much fun she told me if we lose it we will just get another one. (gota love that woman)

I feel the Phantom is the perfect shape & size. Small enough to fit in an airline-stowable case or backpack & great for taking to remote locales. OA is for rookies & retractable gear is just something else to break.

totaly agree.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1