Phantom 4 RTK off centered camera

Reaction score
Hello, I just received a P4P RTK that I am using for work. When I took it out of the box and fired it up I noticed the camera was pointing to the side. I have a P4PV2 and that had the same issue after several flights. On that one I was able to go into the gimbal settings and adjust the camera position. On the RTK there is no option to do that. I am not sure if it is a crystal sky thing but that seems really weird. My question is if the camera is pointed slightly to the side is that going to cause any error in my photogrammetry? Is it telling itself it is pointing to A and it is actually pointing to B? And does anybody have a work flow for post processing? I use Pix4D. Do I dump files from the DRTK and the aircraft as well as the pictures? Thanks for any help.

For what that hardware costs, it should be perfect right out of the box.
If it‘s a new unit, I would be putting it back in the box and sending it back where it came from.
If not new, sorry, I’m not sure what steps you should take.
Certainly you could refresh the firmware and see if that may help.
Possibly a camera gimbal calibration?
Hope you get it solved.

Reactions: Capt KO
Have you tried calibrating the gimbal while sitting on it's back two legs instead of sitting flat?

233525eaejcqis8xnka44z.png

Run the gimbal calibration with the bird in this position, it actually works. If it doesn't, I would also fear that the photogrammetry could be skewed.

Do your surveys with GCPs even with RTK on the drone. RTK on the drone is helpful but it can’t correct for distortions in the ortho photo and point cloud caused by unavoidable lens distortion, camera misalignments in all directions, camera shake, and any number of other issues. All instruments are imperfect. Only known points on the ground (GCPs) provide a means of correcting what the drone was able to see and record vs. the real world it was recording,

I don’t have an P4 with RTK but the photo coordinates on such systems are typically embedded in the metadata of the photos,. Nor do I use Pix4D, but I assume your workflow would not include uploading the flight records from the drone.

Hello, I just received a P4P RTK that I am using for work. When I took it out of the box and fired it up I noticed the camera was pointing to the side. I have a P4PV2 and that had the same issue after several flights. On that one I was able to go into the gimbal settings and adjust the camera position. On the RTK there is no option to do that. I am not sure if it is a crystal sky thing but that seems really weird. My question is if the camera is pointed slightly to the side is that going to cause any error in my photogrammetry? Is it telling itself it is pointing to A and it is actually pointing to B? And does anybody have a work flow for post processing? I use Pix4D. Do I dump files from the DRTK and the aircraft as well as the pictures? Thanks for any help.
The camera that came with the drone is all adjusted. Do not change the camera that came with the rtk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers