Phantom 4 Range Tests - Dirty Bird

Yesterday's tests were in Sport Mode & this certainly draws more power. Next time I will run the tests in P-mode with CA disabled. This will allow the P4 to run similar speeds to a P3 & make the final result more comparable.

DB..Great info. Was this flight in P mode? Also what was flight time and how much battery was remaining? I would be curious if anyone could make two identical flights one in p mode and one in sport mode and report the difference in time flown and battery consumption. Thank you.

Reactions: DougS
A lot of Wi-Fi interference in the city. I suggest installing the 32-channel mod, then manually choosing a custom channel near the top of the channel list.

I picked up a P4 and for the most part I am very pleased, but......I am getting the worst video. I keep getting a "green blob" on my screen and distorted picture. I have only gone a few blocks away because I have never flown FPV in a city before but the inner harbor here in Baltimore was calling my name... but I am unhappy with the distortion. I have 4 other quads and none of them have this issue

Keep this in mind: If you are comparing a P4 range test this year in the same spot you did a P3 range test last year, the WiFi/RF environment may be different. The growth in the number and power of WiFi devices is growing exponentially. In addition new devices are able to use the entire WiFi bandwidth (all channels). The only way to really compare the range is to fly the P3 and P4 at about the same time (one right after the other) at the same location.

Keep this in mind: If you are comparing a P4 range test this year in the same spot you did a P3 range test last year, the WiFi/RF environment may be different. The growth in the number and power of WiFi devices is growing exponentially. In addition new devices are able to use the entire WiFi bandwidth (all channels). The only way to really compare the range is to fly the P3 and P4 at about the same time (one right after the other) at the same location.

Understood but I have both the p3p and p4 in my living room. I've used the same paths and altiotudes though.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Can't speak for the iOS version but it works with the Android version.

I am a bit confused because Ken @ DJI said the new app supported the 32 channels natively but it doesn't seem to do so. I get only 8 channels on the stock app without the mod.

I'm not seeing it works with the p4 release of the go! app?

Last edited:
Quick report on Phantom 4 range tests -

Ft. Armistead - 41°, 12-16 mph winds, occasional sleet. Three flights directly into stout Easterly wind @ 250' altitude.

10,500' - 13,000'- Great signal & video, video burped here & there but never lost feed, telemetry, or control. Only turned around because of flight computer battery warning. Cancelled battery alert on flights 2 & 3. Got back with lots of battery left..could have gone further just not sure how far to push things. Still 5000'+ short of my P3 but I think the P4 might be able to match it with better weather conditions or abetter feel for the battery on my part. Still on site. More later...
I know everyone is getting a bit pissed with this flight range thing, and yes DJI should have made this clear to us. But if you are flying at ranges beyond what you are experiencing with your P4, then just move your your location in the direction of the copter.. For myself to walk a mile or so in an open area or even in a built up one is not that big a deal for me. Of course you will be moving away from your home point… But if you're sticking to a rough flight plan or at least know where your copter is, you can just manually land which with my minimal experience favour every time!
I appreciate if you're flying out over water you may not have a choice unless you have a boat! But if you're filming requires the extra distance, there are ways around it!

I agree Wi-Fi is increasingly congesting the 2.4 Ghz spectrum. My P3 range tests were conducted about 2 months ago. Also these test flights are over flown open water so there are no locations there to be adding Wi-Fi.

Last edited:
Just finished flying off 4 batteries on the P3 Advanced. Flying from inside the truck is pretty damned nice. it's warm & I have coffee! :cool:
When you are flying inside the truck I would have thought that the vehicle would affect the signal. While I was flying my P2 with FPV at about 1km from me nothing between me and the craft. When I briefly turned away to get a better view of the screen the craft went into failsafe (lost connection) and did a RTH. As soon as I faced the direction of the craft I went to ATTI and regained control. So I am always intrigued how people don't lose the signal when inside cars etc.

Yesterday was the first time I tried this. I was sitting in an Isuzu commercial truck with a HUGE & nearly vertical glass window. With the steering wheel rotated to the "upside down" position, the controller sat perfectly, well above the dash, with a completely clear LOS to the Phantom. The handle hooked it to the wheel perfectly. It was so cool I just powered up the bird, got back in the truck, and flew all the missions in complete comfort. I took off, landed, & flew all seven flights pure FPV. So cool! I even had a cup holder! :cool:

What was even more shocking was I was actually able to fly far off to the sides & even BEHIND myself, though not as distant when behind. I believe glass is transparent to the 2.4 Ghz signal, just as it is to GPS signals. Someone with more extensive knowledge will likely opine.

When you are flying inside the truck I would have thought that the vehicle would affect the signal. While I was flying my P2 with FPV at about 1km from me nothing between me and the craft. When I briefly turned away to get a better view of the screen the craft went into failsafe (lost connection) and did a RTH. As soon as I faced the direction of the craft I went to ATTI and regained control. So I am always intrigued how people don't lose the signal when inside cars etc.

Good Grief, again with the 1080P FVP and the zoom lens? I thought this was all worked out in other threads. I know, I know you are a pro and I'm nothing but a noob. But you have made it clear you don't own or have any intention of getting a P4. Some of use are happy with our purchase and want people like Dirty Bird to help make this the best we can. I value his thought and opinion. Again if I wanted the zoom and 1080p to make money off hunting I would pony up the money to pay for a high end drone and not even bother commenting on a P4.

Finally a comment on the P4 I can agree. I just love mine. There are so many negative comments... battery, range etc. then don't buy one.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

We're doing these back to back comparisons during the same times of the day with both craft. It's not just distance that is affected but quality of the transmission as well. I'm getting a lot more little image hiccups on the phantom 4. All that is left for me to try is to bind the phantom 3 controller to the 4.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
In case anyone is curious here are the video links to yesterday's test flights. This is just raw real-time footage with no music or editing. Just posted so HD version may not yet be processed:

Phantom 4 Range Test #1:

Phantom 4 Range Test #2:

Phantom 4 Range Test #3:

Reactions: DougS
No. You are wrong. Those are features that should be in the more expensive drones that are actually used for commercial purposes like an Inspire 2/3.
The phantom series is more for enthusiast and recreational use and should not have these more expensive features on it, allowing the price to be capped lower.

The nature of technological products is that features get added on the high-end models, and what was previously high-end moves down the price ladder until eventually it's standard on even the cheapest models.

You're dreaming if you don't think that the 'full price' ~$1400 Phantom 7 (or whatever) won't have 1080 video transmission and zoom eventually. I'm sure you're also correct that they'll show up on the Inspire-class first, as relatively high-priced pro features.

It may well also be that at that future point, the $400 version looks a lot like a Phantom 3/4 still, as they are very nicely featured drones, with everything you 'need' to have a very good flight/video experience. Thus, the price capping/reduction process you're describing is a major part of the process, no doubt.

But there absolutely WILL be features added, and 1080 Lightbridge (or at least a 1080 mode, perhaps stepping down to 720 at longer ranges/sub-optimum conditions?) and zoom sure seem to be near the top of the list of likely eventual candidates.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub