Phantom 4 Professional Remote Controller shutter button does not always work

Reaction score
I have a continuing problem with my Phantom 4 Professional not taking pictures with the remote controller shutter button. The remote controller is connected to an iPad 2017 using DJI Go 4 app.

When I press the shutter button on the top right of the controller, the DJI Go 4 app appears to take a picture (the white shutter indicator flashes and the progress indicator circles around it) but it does not always take a picture. Sometimes I hear a camera shutter release feedback, sometimes not. If I touch the shutter button on the DJI Go 4 app, it will always take a picture, with the camera shutter release feedback. Will I always hear the camera shutter sound from the iPad when a picture is actually taken?

Last edited:
If you stop the video rec frst then it always take a picture. I think that's something to do with res. adjustment - for still photo is a bit different than for the video.

I have a continuing problem with my Phantom 4 Professional not taking pictures with the remote controller shutter button. The remote controller is connected to an iPad 2017 using DJI Go 4 app.

When I press the shutter button on the top right of the controller, the DJI Go 4 app appears to take a picture (the white shutter indicator flashes and the progress indicator circles around it) but it does not always take a picture. Sometimes I hear a camera shutter noise feedback, sometimes not. If I touch the shutter button on the DJI Go 4 app, it will always take a picture. Will I always hear the camera shutter sound from the iPad when a picture is actually taken?

It doesn't have anything to do with stopping the video first. All my controllers (P4A and P4P) have the same problem, even when I'm not shooting video. It's annoying.

It's more than annoying. I need my hand on the controller to move the drone. It takes time to move my hand back and forth to the iPad to take a picture, the controller button is more convenient. If a picture is not taken when I command it, then I have to refly the mission later and retake the pictures. This could involve me having to drive back out to the job site, at the very least inconvenient, and wasted time and money. I currently use the DJI Go 4 App exclusively to take pictures, and check them on my laptop before departing the job site.

It's more than annoying. I need my hand on the controller to move the drone. It takes time to move my hand back and forth to the iPad to take a picture, the controller button is more convenient. If a picture is not taken when I command it, then I have to refly the mission later and retake the pictures. This could involve me having to drive back out to the job site, at the very least inconvenient, and wasted time and money. I currently use the DJI Go 4 App exclusively to take pictures, and check them on my laptop before departing the job site.

It's been a problem for ages and not just a Phantom problem.

You just make it a habit to always.. I mean always look at the screen to make sure the images remaining counter counts down. If there is ANY doubt take another picture (or two). It's a LOT easier to delete a few extra than return to the job.

Also you need to make it a habit to verify all data BEFORE you leave the job site. Add that to you checklist you'll be glad you did.

I don't know how is this with yours but as I said at mine I must stop the video, take a photo, then video on again. It's not big deal. Otherwise if you do video in 4K and I'm sure you do, then you can make the photo from video and it is surprisingly good.
Can be used for all net purposes. But I'm sure you already know that well.
I have P4P+ but it is the same at P3A.

Still not the issue but I'm glad yours doesn't have the problem. I played around today with my P4P settings. If you turn on AFC mode in camera settings and change "long press" to focus things happen. If you half press then the screen zooms in and focuses. Push down the rest of the way and it takes the picture.

OK, thanks for the feedback. I did some practice with the P4P on my kitchen floor. I usually have the AE symbol unlocked, although it doesn't matter for this discussion.
The shutter button on the RC will focus the camera with a short press, then take a picture with a longer press. The iPad will sometimes make a camera shutter sound, and other times will not. This is what confused me, plus I was not pressing the shutter button long enough to take a picture. But if you you hold the shutter button for about 1 sec, it will take a picture. The key is to watch the capacity indicator count down the number of pictures remaining on the SD card, if that occurs, you have definitely taken a picture, whether or not the iPad is making the camera shutter noise.
If you click the video button on the top left of the controller, the drone will switch to video mode and start recording. if you click the shutter button on the top right of the controller (again for about 1 second) while recording video, the P4P will take a picture as well. Stopping the video will go allow you to go back to photo mode, either on the DJI Go 4 app or by pressing the shutter button on the RC.
There you go, play around with it before going flying, it's not so tough after all. Although DJI should fix the shutter noise feedback. And definitely check your pics on a laptop or the DJI Go App before leaving.

So there is nothing wrong with your RC and that's fine. We must be familiar with the system as well as we can and this comes with the hours of flying.
To 'phaser2' - longer press on the button means nothing else than the device must stop the video frst by itself.
How is your video recorded when you take still pictures within. Does it begin with the new file afgter that or it continues with the same file? From a practical view I like to have more files than one long file.

Last edited:
Be aware: if you take a photo while recording video, the photo will be taken at the same resolution and aspect ratio as you are recording - not using the still photo settings. It can make a big difference if you are using, say, 1080p 16x9 - the IQ drop is appreciable

Be aware: if you take a photo while recording video, the photo will be taken at the same resolution and aspect ratio as you are recording - not using the still photo settings. It can make a big difference if you are using, say, 1080p 16x9 - the IQ drop is appreciable
You can do both simultaneously?

You can do both simultaneously?

I can’t speak to other models but, on my P2P v2, I can press the shutter release button while recording video and it will save a still photo - but, as I indicated, at the video settings quality. It surprised me the first time I did it (by accident) because I can’t recall that ever working while using my original P4

Reactions: BigAl07
I can’t speak to other models but, on my P2P v2, I can press the shutter release button while recording video and it will save a still photo - but, as I indicated, at the video settings quality. It surprised me the first time I did it (by accident) because I can’t recall that ever working while using my original P4

I just tested it and my P4P+V2 (built in display) DOES take pics while shooting video. I did a couple of tests and it's confirmed. SWEET lol :)

I was pleasantly surprised too. Even in lower resolution it’s clearer than grabbing a frame from the video. And interrupting a video is sometimes too disruptive.

The timing to discover this is AWESOME! I'm shooting an event Saturday that needs still & video and having to switch back and forth causes issues. I was thinking about hiring a 2nd UAS to come help but now it's FIXED!!!

The timing to discover this is AWESOME! I'm shooting an event Saturday that needs still & video and having to switch back and forth causes issues. I was thinking about hiring a 2nd UAS to come help but now it's FIXED!!!

Just remember, that during-the-video still photo will be at the video resolution and aspect ratio

Reactions: BigAl07
Just remember, that during-the-video still photo will be at the video resolution and aspect ratio

That's fine. These pics are "action pics" so they aren't going to be great to begin with. It's an annual fund raiser "Polar Plunge".

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.