Phantom 4 Pro Video Issue

Reaction score
Hello Friends,

I have a video related question. I was hired by a college campus to take video footage of some of their buildings. The videos are to be used on their website. All has been going well but I have noticed in playback that the brick buildings seem to show ovals on them as I move the camera around. I noticed the same thing happening when I record shingled roofs. It would seem that the close together straight lines that brick or roofing shingles make distorts the image. I was hoping one of you Phantom 4 Pro brothers or sisters could teach me how to get rid of the ovals produced by the camera or if you don't know how to get rid of them at least tell me what the effect is called so I can look it up on YouTube. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

aab1973

Or depending on the angles and speed, it could be a rolling shutter issue as well. A better definition or example footage is required to go further.

I think that the Moire effect is probably a rather likely cause. Here are some possible causes:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Given that the Phantom drones don't seem to have this problem commonly reported, I would guess that something else might be at work. Are you using a polarizing lens cover?

The Moire effect is most prominent when two grids are placed one over the other. A polarizing lens cover would be the second grid pattern, and might very well interact with a tightly spaced brick or shingle pattern.

Does the circular pattern disappear or change when you get closer to the buildings? This would effectively change the size of the structural pattern on the building (from the camera's perspective), and would directly influence the Moire effect that you are likely recording.

Remove the polarizer and see what happens! Rotating it might have an effect, too.

Now I have never experienced any Moire effects using my cameras and photography, and I don't have any such lens on my drone. So...this is just speculation on my part.

Last edited:
Ok. I never heard of Moire problems on Phantoms, but apparently I am not well informed. ...At least until today.

Check out this thread:

And there is always Wikipedia for some good information.

Last edited:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic