Phantom 4 Pro Switches to Atti when in P mode

Reaction score
My Phantom 4 Pro has been sitting for over two years without a flight so today I charged the batteries and took it for five flights just to make sure it still flew well and the batteries were good. On the last flight when I was coming in to land in P mode, it started drifting like it was in Atti mode. No worries, I like Atti mode. Before hand-catching it I switched back and forth from Atti mode to P mode a few times to see if it would regain P mode but without success. Granted, even two years ago I had the same issue of it suddenly drifting when in P mode and updating the firmware and calibrating the IMU did not fix the issue. Just to make sure all was set, I reupdated the firmware and calibrated the IMU before todays flights. So, I'm curious why this is happening. Can anyone provide insight? Here's a link to the aircraft .DAT file on dropbox: Phantom 4 Mystery Atti mode

Thanks! Here is the air data link. Hopefully it is the correct file. The issue occurred in the last minute or so before landing and I did switch back and forth from Atti to P to try and correct it, but without success. Phantom 4 Mystery Atti mode
It's not a case of the aircraft switching to Atti Mode and ignoring GPS data.
In this incident the number of satellites dropped to zero which left the drone in Atti Mode.
Recalibrating the IMU or updating firmware wouldn't have had any effect on this.

If it's still unable to find satellites, the issue is likely to be a malfunctioning GPS module or a bad connection to it.

It's not a case of the aircraft switching to Atti Mode and ignoring GPS data.
In this incident the number of satellites dropped to zero which left the drone in Atti Mode.
Recalibrating the IMU or updating firmware wouldn't have had any effect on this.

If it's still unable to find satellites, the issue is likely to be a malfunctioning GPS module or a bad connection to i

Thank you Meta4! Given how often is was happening a couple years ago that makes sense. I really appreciate your help!

As strange as it may sound, try replacing the SD card and formatting it in the aircraft. If the aircraft can’t write and read the memory card it will behave erratically and not properly record video and photos.

As strange as it may sound, try replacing the SD card and formatting it in the aircraft. If the aircraft can’t write and read the memory card it will behave erratically and not properly record video and photos.
Hmmm, well, photos and videos are recorded mormally. I'm sticking with Meta4's diagnosis.

By the way what does the memory card have to do with the drone's flight characteristics?

Hmmm, well, photos and videos are recorded mormally. I'm sticking with Meta4's diagnosis.

By the way what does the memory card have to do with the drone's flight characteristics?
Temporary data is written to the card during flight, if it can’t write/read fast enough it causes the computer to have problems. See it happen 4 times over the last 3 years with my P4p. Change the card and problems went away. I’ve had a similar atti mode problem that nearly cost me the bird due to high winds. Give it a shot, it only takes 2 minutes, what have you got to lose?

Reactions: gringorio
Temporary data is written to the card during flight, if it can’t write/read fast enough it causes the computer to have problems. See it happen 4 times over the last 3 years with my P4p. Change the card and problems went away. I’ve had a similar atti mode problem that nearly cost me the bird due to high winds. Give it a shot, it only takes 2 minutes, what have you got to lose?
Sounds like it was just a coincidence.
DJI drones fly perfectly without any SD card and they don't need to write anything to the SD card to fly normally.
The camera is completely independent from flight control or GPS reception.

Thank you Meta4! Given how often is was happening a couple years ago that makes sense. I really appreciate your help!
I had this happen when coming to land and found out later, there was a lot of magnetic interference in the area. It is horrific when it happens suddenly without warning. I had trees around me and thought I wasn’t going to make it when it started drifting suddenly. My response was to ascend right away to understand what was going on. It stayed in atti mode and drifted away up high too. With camera assist flew back in atti then landed very carefully. Like an Aircraft pilot landing in a heavy crosswind. A novice pilot would of lost it for sure just out of panic. It’s like suddenly your flying a $30 drone (Atti) in the wind unexpectedly. Truly horrible, I certainly aged a few years on the spot! There was people not far and Trees also…. Abandon landing and toggling for height over trees as it drifted was first smart response! Gave me a chance to calm down and get a grip of the crippled Drone I had to deal with and a low battery since Landing was at end of an already completed flight, did not have too much time to think about what was going on…never flew in that area again…

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic