Phantom 4 pro Range?

Reaction score
Hi all.

I'm in the UK and enjoying playing with and getting used to my first quadcopter the phantom 4 pro.

I've had several flights so far all under 3000 feet. Today I decided to do a long distance test on the new bird. Both flights were from a promenade and out over the open sea with no obstructions. First flight made it out to around 5300 feet where it lost its signal and return to home kicked in and brought it back where the video transmission started up again and I took over manual control to land it. Second flight made it out to just under 5400 feet and lost signal totally, video on display frooze and it went into return to home mode again but this time the video transmission never returned and was flashing no signal in top left so no manual controlled but thankfully the return to home done it's just and brought it back, thought it was a goner!

Also I have been reading that 2.4ghz gives you a longer range than 5.8ghz but I was finding the opposite, I was getting out to about 3000 feet and the signal for 2.4 ghz was breaking up so had to manually switch to 5.8 which took me further out to my max distance of 5400 feet.

What can I do to improve my range as I think it's pretty poor compared what others have been getting. I've ordered a skyreat windsurfer should this help? Any thing else I can do? Would like to try and get to around 8-9000 feet if possible.

Thank you.

John.

Must be operating on CE as I'm in the UK(scotland) and it's GPS dependant for the settings?

Thanks

Is CE lower power? There are people who have gone like 18,000+ feet with the p4p.

Yes, CE is limited power to comply with EU regulations. Software regulated RC output power is not new for P4(P), it was present with P3P/A also. I have P3P in CE mode with "worst" C version of controller and still had many close to 20.000ft flights with help from nothing but $5 windsurfer.

I took my P4P out for more distance tests yesterday but first i calibrated the imu and compass and also relinked the controller to the drone. Tried 5.8ghz first and got out to around 4500 feet before i lost signal, i then tried 2.4ghz and managed to get 8500 feet!. i have Just purchased a skyreat windsurfer so hopefully that will improve my range also, just need some calmer weather now to test :)

I took my P4P out for more distance tests yesterday but first i calibrated the imu and compass and also relinked the controller to the drone. Tried 5.8ghz first and got out to around 4500 feet before i lost signal, i then tried 2.4ghz and managed to get 8500 feet!. i have Just purchased a skyreat windsurfer so hopefully that will improve my range also, just need some calmer weather now to test :)

Where are you flying? Urban or rural area? Do you have clear LoS?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Was flying from a carpark at the edge of the water flying out over the open sea. im happy with the distance i got, i lost my video signal but was still able to control the craft, hopefully the skyreat windsurfers shall improve this.

Was flying from a carpark at the edge of the water flying out over the open sea. im happy with the distance i got, i lost my video signal but was still able to control the craft, hopefully the skyreat windsurfers shall improve this.

Well, I wouldn't be too happy if I shell out 1.500€ for a new drone marketed as "better range" and get less range then on my old P3P which can do 10k + in enviroment far less ideal then open sea. I'm looking for someone in my area who already bought it to test it side by side before I pull the trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Hi John, also in Scotland and would be disappointed in this range. I have a P3P just now but looking to upgrade. The P3P will do 17000 feet easily and push over 20000 feet with a wind surfer over the Fife countryside.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers