Phantom 4 pro obsidian edition ?

Reaction score
Sorry but im just not sure about the obsidian phantom 4 pro edition, If i take the white skin off a phantom 4 pro and replace it with a obsidian black skin is it now an obsidian model . The camera on the obsidian is silver/chrome is it exactly the same as a p4p . Is the any other difference in the obsidian to regular pro that makes the obsidian electronics better.?

No mechanical/electrical difference’s that I know of. My Obsidian P4P v1 came with an Obsidian colored remote too.

Thanks
No mechanical/electrical difference’s that I know of. My Obsidian P4P v1 came with an Obsidian colored remote too.
Hi thanks, yes the only thing i think might be different is the camera is different and has a bit more extras in the app , im not a photographer so i that does not matter to me, but i crashed my obsidian few weeks ago and ordered a new body , now im not sure if i should just take another damaged p4p i have and put the obsidian body on it. I still have the electronics from the crashed obsidian but it only beeps when i start it up so im not sure if i should try to spend the money to have it fixed and put it in the new black skin or just put the p4p electronics that i no work in it. If there is no difference in the two i might just as well save the repair costs and use the original guts as spare.

Thanks

Hi thanks, yes the only thing i think might be different is the camera is different and has a bit more extras in the app , im not a photographer so i that does not matter to me, but i crashed my obsidian few weeks ago and ordered a new body , now im not sure if i should just take another damaged p4p i have and put the obsidian body on it. I still have the electronics from the crashed obsidian but it only beeps when i start it up so im not sure if i should try to spend the money to have it fixed and put it in the new black skin or just put the p4p electronics that i no work in it. If there is no difference in the two i might just as well save the repair costs and use the original guts as spare.
After reading this reply, it seems like your thinking the obsidian and p4p are different drones. The obsidian is a p4p. The p4p's came in two colors, white and obsidian. They have the same internals and yes, the obsidian has a grey tone on the camera and underbelly. Not to confuse things but DJI also made a black p4, exclusive to Best Buy as I recall.

After reading this reply, it seems like your thinking the obsidian and p4p are different drones. The obsidian is a p4p. The p4p's came in two colors, white and obsidian. They have the same internals and yes, the obsidian has a grey tone on the camera and underbelly. Not to confuse things but DJI also made a black p4, exclusive to Best Buy as I recall.
Hi, thanks, yes the confusion i had is that i see the obsidians selling for higher prices and some say its rare and different. But the only thing i found different is the camera color and apparently an extra option or two in the app for for the camera. I took apart my obsidian when it crashed and kept the electronics only. Problem is there is a problem with the electronics and it only beeps on start up . I can get it checked out to see how much it would cost if it can be fixed, but i have a p4p with a cracked wing and i thought it would be easier and maybe cheaper just to put those guts in the obsidian skin i have. Seeing that i have the obsidian plus controller and batteries in the gunmetal color . hopefully the obsidian camera will connect to the guts with maybe just a fw upgrade

Hi, thanks, yes the confusion i had is that i see the obsidians selling for higher prices and some say its rare and different. But the only thing i found different is the camera color and apparently an extra option or two in the app for for the camera. I took apart my obsidian when it crashed and kept the electronics only. Problem is there is a problem with the electronics and it only beeps on start up . I can get it checked out to see how much it would cost if it can be fixed, but i have a p4p with a cracked wing and i thought it would be easier and maybe cheaper just to put those guts in the obsidian skin i have. Seeing that i have the obsidian plus controller and batteries in the gunmetal color . hopefully the obsidian camera will connect to the guts with maybe just a fw upgrade
No Problem. A bit confusing though. First it's a crashed obsidian that you've kept electronics that beep on startup. Then another p4p that has a cracked wing (assuming that one might be white?). Then your putting guts of one of those two models in new or some third model obsidian skin (guessing it's not the crashed obsidian skin)?? Doesn't really matter. As long as it's all p4p (and same the version V1 or V2), all should swap. Hope that helps. I've not heard of an extra option or two for the obsidian over the white model p4p. Any color mix match in these two are not an issue. I actually prefer to fly mine with white front props. 5 of my 6 batteries are white.

Sorry but im just not sure about the obsidian phantom 4 pro edition, If i take the white skin off a phantom 4 pro and replace it with a obsidian black skin is it now an obsidian model . The camera on the obsidian is silver/chrome is it exactly the same as a p4p . Is the any other difference in the obsidian to regular pro that makes the obsidian electronics better.?
The Camera is titaium on the obsidian also it is not just the color it is a different finish all together. Obsidians are mar/ finger print resistant.

Not 100% certain but at least in my case some Obsidians do not have sub G antenna IPEX connectors on their 3-in-1 main boards and obviously do not have internal (non leg) sub G antennas like white p4ps. The real question to me is what difference does that make for functionality, battery flight duration, signal differences, etc.

Attachments

• aa.jpg
    aa.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 61
“some Obsidians do not have sub G antenna”
So some do and some don’t??

“do not have internal (non leg) sub G antennas like white p4ps”
White p4p’s don’t have antenna wires in the land gear legs??

I would need some clarification to understand what exactly what your saying

I would need some clarification to understand what exactly what your sayin

I would need some clarification to understand what exactly what your saying
Look at the photo, left photo--> p4p 3-in-1 board with a extra pair of IPEX connectors (bottom right) in addition to the 2 pairs of leg antenna IPEX connectors. Right photo --> 3-in-1 board without the extra pair of IPEX connectors (look at the bottom right of each board). Picture is worth a million words...

Attachments

• aa.jpg
    aa.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 72
Look at the photo, left photo--> p4p 3-in-1 board with a extra pair of IPEX connectors (bottom right) in addition to the 2 pairs of leg antenna IPEX connectors. Right photo --> 3-in-1 board without the extra pair of IPEX connectors (look at the bottom right of each board). Picture is worth a million words...
In the little bit of picture viewing research I did, I'm thinking one of the boards is either aftermarket, or out of an advance or standard? Not unique to obsidian.
Were they both originally obsidians and did you buy them new?

In the little bit of picture viewing research I did, I'm thinking one of the boards is either aftermarket, or out of an advance or standard? Not unique to obsidian.
Were they both originally obsidians and did you buy them new?

One was out of a Ph4 pro and the other was out of an Obsidian. Now what is really interesting is the result of swapping the Obsidian board into my guinea pig ph4 pro. After realizing I had a bad camera ribbon cable the obsidian board (that is short 2 of the six IPEX 3-in-1 board connectors) can be used in a regular Ph4 pro apparently with both Sub G antennas disconnected. I have not noticed any changes in signal transmission strength, range and if anything it seems to have a more stable and greater range for both video signal and RC connection... now go figure?

Don’t want to spend too much time on this but one of those links above shows an aftermarket board for either the white or obsidian P4P. Guessing you didn’t buy these new and one of them has that board in it. Maybe forward your difference questions to a tech at DJI and let us know the results. That would be really interesting

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic