Phantom 4 Pro + Maps

So I just received my drone and controller back from DJI for repair, and the map problem I originally reported has completely cleared up. So there was just something wrong with the controller they had to fix or replace. So I'm happy now. The main frustrating aspect is that I had to send it in TWICE to get it fixed. The good news is that it IS fixable. So if you have the same problem I originally described and supplied a screenshot for, if you press DJI you will get it fixed.

I really like the bright screen, but I really wish you could cache the satellite maps for the area you've viewed the satellite maps previously. Since the controller even allows an SD card for extra storage and also has plenty of storage available in the controller itself, it would be really useful to me to be able to store the satellite images when there isn't cell coverage where I fly. There aren't many roads where I fly so the map doesn't have much detail if I needed to locate my bird compared to the satellite map. So the only way I can have the satellite map is to leave the controller on the whole time from home. If I power it off, the satellite map isn't available (blank) - but I did use the option to download and save the map offline for the whole state I'm flying in.

I'll jump on the P+ map bandwagon. Just downloaded the latest firmware - BIG MISTAKE!
Now I have a red arrow that does not point in the direction of my gimbal, my map is gone, with just a few Chinese symbols visible, but greyed out. But I DO have a red dot for home point. I flew around my house, took it up to 350 ft, and held the RTH button for a few seconds and it landed within 12" of the take off point.

So; having been down this update merrymaking affair before, I downgraded to the previous firmware. DID NOT fix the map issue.
So, here we go again.......

Went to fly at 5:00 today. Got a message that updates were available. Remote updated version, now there are no maps and an error indicates libraries missing...

DJI support told me to connect the Pro+ remote to DJI Assistant v2. Installed Assistant v2 from DJI website. It will connect to the bird but doesn't connect with remote -- just sits there.

Any ideas?

Well, hmph. Contacted DJI support again. They had me try and connect to remote with DJI Assistant 2 and it would not see remote. (It would see bird itself fine, but nothing when connnecting to pro+ remote.) They are having me send back Pro+ remote and promised me a New one (not a refurb) so that's good. I paid an extra $100 to buy from DJI direct and have only had it for 7 days, so I guess that's good at least. Sounds like a software issue where the update didn't finish correctly to me, but since Assistant 2 won't see it, and I've experienced another anomaly where the altimeter display in app didn't match flight record I think it's best for me to get the new replacement. Mine also ran very hot on the back near the usb ports even in cool 60-70 degree weather here, not sure if that was normal...

After spending 5 hours yesterday on the remote firmware update, today thanks to info from shockwave199 on the forum here, I used the Factory Reset option on the remote screen and after 5 minutes maps are now working again (maps and satellite while connected to wifi)

Down is Sydney Australia we also have the same problem but only after the June 5 software update.

After the latest software update on P4P+ found the same problem in Adelaide, Australia.

Can only download Chinese city maps. Beijing map started downloading by accident now I can't delete it. Not happy. Might have to try the factory reset or the software downgrade to previous version but looks like there are no guarantee that either will bring back the maps.
I will wait and see if DJI issues new software to fix problem.......

Reactions: B25J
After spending 5 hours yesterday on the remote firmware update, today thanks to info from shockwave199 on the forum here, I used the Factory Reset option on the remote screen and after 5 minutes maps are now working again (maps and satellite while connected to wifi)

Can you explain how to do the "factory reset option" please I have a Phantom 4 pro plus and am in the UK. Thanks

Connect to P4P with DJI Assistant 2. There you will see your active software and the link to your previous software version. At the bottom is a link to factory reset.

Reactions: vripley
I'll jump on the P+ map bandwagon. Just downloaded the latest firmware - BIG MISTAKE!
Now I have a red arrow that does not point in the direction of my gimbal, my map is gone, with just a few Chinese symbols visible, but greyed out. But I DO have a red dot for home point. I flew around my house, took it up to 350 ft, and held the RTH button for a few seconds and it landed within 12" of the take off point.

So; having been down this update merrymaking affair before, I downgraded to the previous firmware. DID NOT fix the map issue.
So, here we go again.......
To restore your maps on P4P+, turn on RC (Not Phantom) when it boots up go into the settings tab at top right of screen where the tutorial buttons are, find the factory reset tab and reset it. None of your settings will be lost, it will just reboot the Android device... Presto! Maps are back!

After the latest software update on P4P+ found the same problem in Adelaide, Australia.

Can only download Chinese city maps. Beijing map started downloading by accident now I can't delete it. Not happy. Might have to try the factory reset or the software downgrade to previous version but looks like there are no guarantee that either will bring back the maps.
I will wait and see if DJI issues new software to fix problem.......

To restore your maps on P4P+, turn on RC (Not Phantom) when it boots up go into the settings tab at top right of screen where the tutorial buttons are, find the factory reset tab and reset it. None of your settings will be lost, it will just reboot the Android device... Presto! Maps are back!

Reactions: kanat03
Thanks a lot, followed your instructions and got my maps back, excellent!!

Thanks a lot, followed your instructions, and my maps are back, excellent! :)

Reactions: Phantom_Menace66
I am very happy to see this and thanks for posting it!! I'll try it very shortly and report back.

I seem to have an odd problem. I have maps. But not satellite images. I had them when I got the drone last week now the images have disappeared. I am rather reluctant to do a reset as the drone is working great and I do not want to tempt fate!

I have done the usual. Gone to the spot where I am going to fly on the maps. Zoomed in etc. Still no satellite images.

Oh I know there are buttons at the bottom that says something like :- Maps. Satellite. Hybrid. Satellite and Hybrid they do not changing anything I just see the road map with my position accurate.

Last edited:
So, I'm reporting back on the reset attempt - success!
Not happy about having to use new account data, wouldn't accept my existing email, but I suppose I can switch that back with DJI online.
Odd thing - nearly every one of my RC settings was unchanged after the reset. From the viewpoint of a complete reset I think that's a bit weird. But, happy my maps are back - thank you!!

Reactions: Phantom_Menace66
I seem to have an odd problem. I have maps. But not satellite images. I had them when I got the drone last week now the images have disappeared. I am rather reluctant to do a reset as the drone is working great and I do not want to tempt fate!

I have done the usual. Gone to the spot where I am going to fly on the maps. Zoomed in etc. Still no satellite images.

Oh I know there are buttons at the bottom that says something like :- Maps. Satellite. Hybrid. Satellite and Hybrid they do not changing anything I just see the road map with my position accurate.
Frankc - I hear you! Tempting fate with DJI firmware and resets is risky business. Every time I've updated firmware with my P4P+ I've had to downgrade and spend hours on this forum looking for ways to get back in the air. I regret downloading to the latest firmware and I appreciate your frustration. It's a pity this company's policy is to let its customers do the QC on its updates for them, then take their time reacting to all the complaints. End of rant.

Reactions: Frankc
No mapcrash heer, just the map probleem. Mapmanagement only possible for China. Beside that Inhad several warnings White starten RC that Home directory was not found...

Solutions above idd not solve the problem.
Flying no problem.....

To be continuer.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31