Phantom 4 pro GPS error

Reaction score
I have found many other posts of this problem but have not found an acutal resolution to the issue, please help.
Phantom 4 pro had been flying fine and all of a sudden keeps giving me error “GPS disconnected” and “GPS data error. contact DJI support” and immediately switches to atti mode.
I have seen others with the issue contact DJI and not been helped much. I tried flying different days and different conditions all with the same outcome. here is today’s flight record with completely clear skies.
DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

List of notifications during today’s test flight
Gyazo

I have already updated firmware and since this began I tried doing a firmware refresh which fails to upload and same with downgrade. I have re-calibrated both IMU and COM as well and still continues.
Please help

I have found many other posts of this problem but have not found an acutal resolution to the issue, please help.
Phantom 4 pro had been flying fine and all of a sudden keeps giving me error “GPS disconnected” and “GPS data error. contact DJI support” and immediately switches to atti mode.
I have seen others with the issue contact DJI and not been helped much. I tried flying different days and different conditions all with the same outcome. here is today’s flight record with completely clear skies.
DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

List of notifications during today’s test flight
Gyazo

I have already updated firmware and since this began I tried doing a firmware refresh which fails to upload and same with downgrade. I have re-calibrated both IMU and COM as well and still continues.
Please help
sounds like a compass issue 2 me where did u do the compass cal? id try to do another compass cal first far away from any buildings in a big field.

sounds like a compass issue 2 me where did u do the compass cal? id try to do another compass cal first far away from any buildings in a big field.

Tried Re-cal in a bigger field that's away from everything and still getting the same issue. also tried just going up and hovering and watching the SAT count and compass interference when its giving the error and there was no spikes/showed green "excellent" the whole time, when I got back and still gives "GPS data ERROR"
Looked into the flight logs and found the last flight without errors and then the first flight where the errors began and nothing happen between the two, no crashes/hard landings.

Last flight without errors

First flight with errors

Last edited:
Tried Re-cal in a bigger field that's away from everything and still getting the same issue. also tried just going up and hovering and watching the SAT count and compass interference when its giving the error and there was no spikes/showed green "excellent" the whole time, when I got back and still gives "GPS data ERROR"
Looked into the flight logs and found the last flight without errors and then the first flight where the errors began and nothing happen between the two, no crashes/hard landings.
Your Phantom is trying to tell you that there is a problem with your GPS receiver.
It's giving intermittent errors.
If the GPS receiver connection to the mainboard is secure, you probably need a new GPS receiver unit.

Your Phantom is trying to tell you that there is a problem with your GPS receiver.
If the GPS receiver connection to the mainboard is secure, you probably need a new GPS receiver unit.
how rare would a bad gps reciever be? seems more chance of a conflict between compass & gps i think.

Unfortunately I think that may be the issue..ordered a replacement, will be here in a few days. Will post back if i find anything else.

Unfortunately I think that may be the issue..ordered a replacement, will be here in a few days. Will post back if i find anything else.

Hi,

I had this very same problem and it went on for months. I replaced my gps receiver and landing gear (compass) only to find out that none of it made a difference. Eventually I wound up replacing the power interface module (DJI Part #2). Both the GPS and the compass connect directly through the power module and it turned out that it WAS the problem. Bad solder joints... It's been 1.5 years now and I haven't had an issue since. Just thought I'd share in case you change the GPS module and end up in the same place you are today. My advice would be if you're going as far as replacing the GPS module to change the power board also since you're there. They go for about $20US on eBay.

Reactions: 1EagleDave
Hi,

I had this very same problem and it went on for months. I replaced my gps receiver and landing gear (compass) only to find out that none of it made a difference. Eventually I wound up replacing the power interface module (DJI Part #2). Both the GPS and the compass connect directly through the power module and it turned out that it WAS the problem. Bad solder joints... It's been 1.5 years now and I haven't had an issue since. Just thought I'd share in case you change the GPS module and end up in the same place you are today. My advice would be if you're going as far as replacing the GPS module to change the power board also since you're there. They go for about $20US on eBay.
Thanks for the heads up, I will look into getting the power interface module when I get home. Do you think I should just change the compass as well while I have it open? Or do you think it’s pretty much solely the power interface?

Thanks for the heads up, I will look into getting the power interface module when I get home. Do you think I should just change the compass as well while I have it open? Or do you think it’s pretty much solely the power interface?

Speaking from my own experience I would start with the power module. Replacing the GPS module requires a complete tear down of the drone which isn't awful but it is time consuming. As for the compass I would just hold off until you've replaced one or both. IMO, it's very likely the compass is fine but feel free to change it if you're already in there. Worst case you'll have a spare set of landing gear.

IMO, I still think it's bad solder on the power module. Let me know how it works out.

Speaking from my own experience I would start with the power module. Replacing the GPS module requires a complete tear down of the drone which isn't awful but it is time consuming. As for the compass I would just hold off until you've replaced one or both. IMO, it's very likely the compass is fine but feel free to change it if you're already in there. Worst case you'll have a spare set of landing gear.

IMO, I still think it's bad solder on the power module. Let me know how it works out.

curious, did you change the power interface module yourself? I’ve found stuff on changing the gps module but I can’t find anything for changing the power interface...both parts came in and debating weather or not to do it myself.

curious, did you change the power interface module yourself? I’ve found stuff on changing the gps module but I can’t find anything for changing the power interface...both parts came in and debating weather or not to do it myself.
I have the tools to do the job so I changed it myself. You will definitely need a soldering iron and flux. There are 4 screws that hold the board in, 1 ribbon cable, 2 connectors for the compass, 1 connector for the GPS and 4 wires that need to be desoldered/soldered. If you're inclined and have the skills and tools to do the work save yourself some money. If not, I would have someone else do it. The last thing you want is a failure mid flight.

You can get and idea of what it looks like here @ 29:50 -
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I have the tools to do the job so I changed it myself. You will definitely need a soldering iron and flux. There are 4 screws that hold the board in, 1 ribbon cable, 2 connectors for the compass, 1 connector for the GPS and 4 wires that need to be desoldered/soldered. If you're inclined and have the skills and tools to do the work save yourself some money. If not, I would have someone else do it. The last thing you want is a failure mid flight.

You can get and idea of what it looks like here @ 29:50 -
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

finally found the time to repair the phantom, replaced just the power interface module and that seems to have fixed the issue. Had 2 short test flights yesterday, seems to be working well will do some more testing today and inspect the logs to make sure everything is going smoothly. Thanks for the advice and it was pretty easy doing it myself

finally found the time to repair the phantom, replaced just the power interface module and that seems to have fixed the issue. Had 2 short test flights yesterday, seems to be working well will do some more testing today and inspect the logs to make sure everything is going smoothly. Thanks for the advice and it was pretty easy doing it myself

Good stuff!

Just found this post. Unfortunately I had this problem happen for the first time yesterday a couple minutes into a flight, first lost GPS, went into ATTi mode, then lost connection to controller, then image transmission went dark. And I couldn't see what direction the wind had taken it.
Lost my P4Pv2.

This was in Chicago a couple miles west of downtown. Today I got to see the log and where exactly the position was when it lost contact. It was only a bit over 900' away, but 178' feet altitude so definitely drifted more before auto landing.
I need to go over recent flight logs to see if there was any warning signs, but I doubt it. Flew 2 different jobs last week no issue. 3-4 batteries each.
Thousands of feet traveled without problem.

I can hope for a Good Samaritan to call me when found, but not holding my breath.
Here is the txt log file

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2022-10-19_[14-03-09].txt
    626.1 KB · Views: 114
Reactions: CoreySnipes
Just found this post. Unfortunately I had this problem happen for the first time yesterday a couple minutes into a flight, first lost GPS, went into ATTi mode, then lost connection to controller, then image transmission went dark. And I couldn't see what direction the wind had taken it.
Lost my P4Pv2.

This was in Chicago a couple miles west of downtown. Today I got to see the log and where exactly the position was when it lost contact. It was only a bit over 900' away, but 178' feet altitude so definitely drifted more before auto landing.
I need to go over recent flight logs to see if there was any warning signs, but I doubt it. Flew 2 different jobs last week no issue. 3-4 batteries each.
Thousands of feet traveled without problem.

I can hope for a Good Samaritan to call me when found, but not holding my breath.
Here is the txt log file
UPDATE: 12/02/22 FOUND!

2 University of Illinois students found my P4P on the sidewalk about a mile East and 1/4mi South of where I lost connection - 6 weeks after the loss. Gimbal & camera ripped off, 1 broken arm, 1 cracked arm. Battery fine & lit up.
Apparently auto landed in a tree and state there until the leave were gone and a lot of wind shook it down. It actually starts up and all motors & lights seem fine. I was able to connect to transmitter to check all my batteries for charge cycles and voltage. The one that was on the drone for all that time charged up ok, but I'll have to see if it holds the charge. Appears fine though. Pretty amazing.
And thankful both for honest people and that the safety of Auto-landing when it looses both GPS and Connection worked as it should.

Reactions: CoreySnipes

How did you end up doing this job? Could you avoid having to disconnect all the motor wires? I wonder , as several people have said his issue was just due to bad solder joints, would desoldering and resoldering the connections to this power module possibly solve this issue without replacing the module?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers