Phantom 4 Pro fell out of the sky!!

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've been a member on here for a little while but I don't get on much at all. I sure there's discussions before about what happens when you crash your drone and warranties Etc. My question is, is there anyway DJI will replace a crashed drone if it was bought on eBay? Provided it was determined not to be a pilot error. Thanks for any input, I've never dealt with anything like this before. I have a phantom 3 Pro that I've never had any issues with.

Reactions: Mr Bartee
Hi guys, I've been a member on here for a little while but I don't get on much at all. I sure there's discussions before about what happens when you crash your drone and warranties Etc. My question is, is there anyway DJI will replace a crashed drone if it was bought on eBay? Provided it was determined not to be a pilot error. Thanks for any input, I've never dealt with anything like this before. I have a phantom 3 Pro that I've never had any issues with.
I think a lot depends on many factors that you have not given us information on:
  • The flight logs may help to determine if this was indeed an aircraft error or pilot error. If pilot error, then DJI would do nothing.
  • Was the original purchase of the P4P made from an authorized DJI reseller? If not, then DJI will not cover any warranty claims at all.
  • If the original purchase was made from an authorized reseller, was it less than a year ago? If so, the P4P would still be covered under the original 1 year warranty for defects. If it is then determined that it was a hardware/firmware issue and not pilot error, you may have a case with DJI.
  • If the original purchase was over a year ago then there is nothing to be done.

Won't hurt to contact them and ask. Worse that can happen is they say no.

Reactions: Tyhaines

I purchased my P4P on eBay. After I was able to prove mid-flight prop failure via the log files, they replaced it under warranty. The good news is that DJI's warranty dept. is pretty good. At least that has been my experience.

Funny.... The prop failed during an automated flight and they kept asking for the log file (from the app) that shows joystick movement. I must have told them 10 times that this was an automated flight. i.e. NO joystick movement. They finally got it.

D

Last edited:
Don't believe they will "replace" it per se as there is no warranty unless warranty is transferable from original owner and it is purchased within the covered time period? However... DJI are in my opinion pretty [ha ha ha] good at replacing a bird with a fully refurbished one with a quick turn around for an amazingly minimal $$$... once had a P4P hit a palm tree and take a header into a concrete driveway... 8 days and $178 got a mint one back... like starting new... Kudos to DJI... this way they can get you a bird back in your hands in minimal time rather than waiting for a technician to repair yours...

Don't believe they will "replace" it per se as there is no warranty unless warranty is transferable from original owner and it is purchased within the covered time period? However... DJI are in my opinion pretty [ha ha ha] good at replacing a bird with a fully refurbished one with a quick turn around for an amazingly minimal $$$... once had a P4P hit a palm tree and take a header into a concrete driveway... 8 days and $178 got a mint one back... like starting new... Kudos to DJI... this way they can get you a bird back in your hands in minimal time rather than waiting for a technician to repair yours...
Balance of manufacturer warranty does transfer to new owner. You will find many reported instances of DJI honouring the warranty with 2nd owners. All is required is original proof of purchase.

Balance of manufacturer warranty does transfer to new owner. You will find many reported instances of DJI honouring the warranty with 2nd owners. All is required is original proof of purchase.

Yep... that's why I added the caveat: "unless warranty is transferable from original owner and it is purchased within the covered time period?" I just bought a crashed Mavic off craigslist for 200 and sent it in for repairs... ($198) got back a shiny refurbished Mavic (total outlay 398)...

I wish I could offer you words of encouragement but unfortunately dealing with DJi "customer service" is equal to having a catheter removed. I have had to deal with them on a number of occasions and not a single one of them was pleasant.
Just one (of several) dealings...
Scenario: Owned a Phantom 3 Pro for a little over two years and ordered a couple of replacement batteries. I ordered them through DJI directly and waited patiently for them to arrive. After three weeks they finally showed up. The battery casing looked different and I contacted DJI about my concerns. They assured me that the batteries were perfectly fine and that using them wouldn't be an issue. I took the drone out and after only 5 minutes of flight time the battery started over heating and the motors starting spinning out of control. Needless to say the drone crashed (HARD) and shattered into a million pieces. I sent the remains (that's not an understatement) to DJI as well as the flight logs to confirm what had happened. There wasn't any grey area, it was clearly the batteries fault. It took 164 phone calls over the course of 85 calendar days for DJI to do the right thing and replace the drone. The best part is that I had DJI "care" on the drone and they still gave me a hard time. If iIwasn't such a persistent prick I would have never gotten the drone returned. Whatever you do, INSIST on speaking to a supervisor if you don't make any progress with the customer "service" rep. (which you won't) It will do two things, 1) it will keep your case open and 2) it will guarantee that you speak to someone other than a person reading standard responses off a sheet of paper.

Its a total pain in the *** dealing with them. I have horror story after horror story but you just have to keep at them and insist they take care of the issue if it was not user error. Flight logs are paramount to make your case.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have written many times in other threads offering a 180º different experience when dealing with DJI. I shan't repeat myself here, just to say that for the "relative" few bad experiences (among tens of thousands I am sure) there is a magnitude of good experiences, people just don't go online to express report these [they are probably too busy outside flying their new - to them - refurbished bird]. In the 5 times I have dealt with them (all my or my VO's fault) I have found them to be, courteous, fast, efficient and very reasonable.

I wish I could offer you words of encouragement but unfortunately dealing with DJi "customer service" is equal to having a catheter removed. I have had to deal with them on a number of occasions and not a single one of them was pleasant.
Just one (of several) dealings...
Scenario: Owned a Phantom 3 Pro for a little over two years and ordered a couple of replacement batteries. I ordered them through DJI directly and waited patiently for them to arrive. After three weeks they finally showed up. The battery casing looked different and I contacted DJI about my concerns. They assured me that the batteries were perfectly fine and that using them wouldn't be an issue. I took the drone out and after only 5 minutes of flight time the battery started over heating and the motors starting spinning out of control. Needless to say the drone crashed (HARD) and shattered into a million pieces. I sent the remains (that's not an understatement) to DJI as well as the flight logs to confirm what had happened. There wasn't any grey area, it was clearly the batteries fault. It took 164 phone calls over the course of 85 calendar days for DJI to do the right thing and replace the drone. The best part is that I had DJI "care" on the drone and they still gave me a hard time. If iIwasn't such a persistent prick I would have never gotten the drone returned. Whatever you do, INSIST on speaking to a supervisor if you don't make any progress with the customer "service" rep. (which you won't) It will do two things, 1) it will keep your case open and 2) it will guarantee that you speak to someone other than a person reading standard responses off a sheet of paper.

Its a total pain in the *** dealing with them. I have horror story after horror story but you just have to keep at them and insist they take care of the issue if it was not user error. Flight logs are paramount to make your case.
They replace a product over two years old (well outside warranty and presumably the care refresh policy had run its course also) and your grizzling about the service? This just shows how they will respond if you badger them hard enough however hard to understand why you might expect a replacement unless it was very clear the battery was defective.

They replace a product over two years old (well outside warranty and presumably the care refresh policy had run its course also) and your grizzling about the service? This just shows how they will respond if you badger them hard enough however hard to understand why you might expect a replacement unless it was very clear the battery was defective.
It was VERY clear why the drone had crashed. The frustration was dealing with them after they admitted it was their fault. Hell yeah I "badgered" them. They use a boiler plate for every call and make excuse after excuse when it comes to their "service". That particular drone wasn't two years old (close) and it wasn't the first time that drone was in their shop for repairs. Like the story said, I have MULTIPLE stories to share regarding the horrible service at DJI. I fly Kespry drones as well and after 5 years of dealing with them and multiple repairs, I have never had an issue. I also own two Parrots and their customer service is Legit. DJI is hands down impossible to deal with.

Update... my p4p+ is being repaired under warranty.!!Yay!!! Has anyone ever had them replace a battery under warranty? If so, what is the process for that as you can't send them in. And also I must add that DJI so far has been nothing but helpful and courteous through the whole process. Cuz I know there's definitely been mixed reviews on their support. So far so good. Pleasantly surprised!

Reactions: sar104

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl