Phantom 4 Pro batteries

A lot of good information provided by msinger. Highly recommended reading before you buy. An excerpt below from an interesting Powerextra battery review from an Amazon user could shed some new light on the subject of unexplained in-flight power failures for P4 series models that keep popping up in this forum. Smoking gun? Maybe not but, then again, maybe it should be a talking point.
I've purchased five genuine new DJI batteries in the box on eBay for nothing over $85. For me, risking a very expensive flying camera just to save a few bucks more on an aftermarket battery isn't a risk that I'm willing to take. Just my 2 cents.

I have found on occasions its tricky to have the battery click into place on the drone. Upon closer inspection, I noticed the points (see photo) have become mangled from adding and removing the battery from the drone. Ultimately that means there is a chance that the flow of power from the battery to the drone in mid-air might falter. Not worth the risk losing a $1500 drone with these batteries. I have 3 of these batteries and the problem exists on 2 of them. I have had 3 of the DJI phantom 4 batteries and this problem does not exist.

Last edited:
A lot of good information provided by msinger. Highly recommended reading before you buy. An excerpt below from an interesting Powerextra battery review from an Amazon user could shed some new light on the subject of unexplained in-flight power failures for P4 series models that keep popping up in this forum. Smoking gun? Maybe not but, then again, maybe it should be a talking point.
I've purchased five genuine new DJI batteries in the box on eBay for nothing over $85. For me, risking a very expensive flying camera just to save a few bucks more on an aftermarket battery isn't a risk that I'm willing to take. Just my 2 cents.

I have found on occasions its tricky to have the battery click into place on the drone. Upon closer inspection, I noticed the points (see photo) have become mangled from adding and removing the battery from the drone. Ultimately that means there is a chance that the flow of power from the battery to the drone in mid-air might falter. Not worth the risk losing a $1500 drone with these batteries. I have 3 of these batteries and the problem exists on 2 of them. I have had 3 of the DJI phantom 4 batteries and this problem does not exist.
Runnin........I am also with YOU.....100 percent on your great ideas on after market battery you know the Dji batterys all have a serial number and Yes i'm sure its recorded in flight data and in a under warranty crash due to a battery failure Nope Dji will not fix it .( i got that in writing from Dji techs any body want to dispute that send me a PM ! let's not get crazy here )....add my 2 cents so that's now " 4 cents " worth !

For what it’s worth, I’ve used a Power Extra battery on my P4P and in my dSLRs. Never had a problem. No yay/nay from me... just saying they have worked fine.

For what it’s worth, I’ve used a Power Extra battery on my P4P and in my dSLRs. Never had a problem. No yay/nay from me... just saying they have worked fine.

Understood and I respect your position. Glad to hear that it's working for you. I'm not so concerned about using aftermarket batteries in my DSLR because, if they fail, I just replace it with another. No real harm done. In fact, the majority of the batteries for my Canon are an aftermarket brand. When it comes to my flying cameras, I'll stick with DJI. Like so many things in life, it's a personal choice.

For the record, I currently have 3 P4P batteries.. 2 OEM and 1 PowerExtra. I use the OEMs first and only the PE if I need a 3rd. As far as dSLR OEM / 3rd party... I know what you mean.... I have probably 20 batteries total across numerous Canon bodies...As a sports photojournalist, I burn through them...Been pleasantly surprised that even the 1DX aftermarket batteries have been working very well... Take care!

I have probably 20 batteries total across numerous Canon bodies

Pretty much the same here. Think I still have the original Canon batteries for my DSLR and G12. All the rest are aftermarket brands simply because it's cost effective with minimal risk. The aftermarket batteries I have tend to swell a bit after a lot of charge cycles, and they don't seem to have the capacity or endurance of the OEM, so I just swap them with another aftermarket when they start giving me problems. For what I'm doing, it's a good solution.

I have three of each. poweredge ones are slightly down on capacity as compared to the DJI ones but half the price. Never had a problem.

A couple of weeks ago I ordered two additional batteries for my P4P... the same original PH4-5870 type that came with the drone itself. Both batteries arrived in the original factory packaging, sealed and intact.
To my surprise both batteries fail to charge, neither individually nor in the DJI P4CH charging hub. Naturally I suspected my charger to be faulty but it charges other batteries just fine. The charging hub doesn't even recognize the new batteries, just shows the red LED on the bay with the battery present or not. Individual charging will light up the button LED on the battery and rapidly flash 1 of the charge LED for about 12 times and then switch off. This cycle repeats endless every 15 seconds. Even after letting them sit on the charger for hours this situation doesn't change.
Any suggestions on how to revive these duds are much appreciated before I return them...
Thanks!

It's hard to believe you got two defective batteries. Perhaps they were from the same lot, which was stored for too long, and they self discharged too low. Did you try connecting them to the charger directly without the charging hub? But even if you eventually get the batteries to charge, I would not trust them. Return the batteries for an exchange.

I had the same reaction, couldn't believe two of them would be faulty. Hence tested the charger, charging hub with other batteries mixed in.... all to no avail unfortunately, the two new arrivals are as dead as a dodo. As I wrote, also without the charging hub not much was happening, even after letting them sit overnight.

A couple of weeks ago I ordered two additional batteries for my P4P... the same original PH4-5870 type that came with the drone itself. Both batteries arrived in the original factory packaging, sealed and intact.

Fvunen, can you provide photos showing each side of the battery you received? I'm not understanding why they won't charge if they're genuine new DJI batteries. Definitely something wrong there.

Sounds exactly like the dud I received with my brand new P4P. Acted the same way... Had to return for replacement. I believe its because they sit for too long and completely discharge which renders them unchargeable in many cases.

Fvunen, can you provide photos showing each side of the battery you received? I'm not understanding why they won't charge if they're genuine new DJI batteries. Definitely something wrong there.

Send them back to the supplier last week, didn't take any pictures, sorry. Batteries were, as far as I could tell, new in original DJI packaging including the various foam pieces and the instruction leaflet and had no visible signs anywhere of being used. As the batteries have no production date stamped on them it is hard to see how long they may have been sitting.

I seem to get a battery error when the Poweredge ones are low, not sure why. Probably something to do with the firmware but other than a message on the screen nothing "bad" happens.
Still flys around fine.
Need to do a bit more investigation now that the weather is improving.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj