Phantom 4 in 2022?

Reaction score
Hello! Currently in the market for a new drone. My budget is 400-600€ , but i need your opinion. I have a mavic air and since I want a drone with a better transmission signal, I’m considering the P4. Regardless, I’m keeping my mavic, so the bigger size of the P4 is not a problem. Also important is that I’m looking forward to flying in more high wind conditions, so the more stable platform of the Phantom 4 makes perfect sense! After a quick look at used listing, I can find P4 +batteries and extras in the 400-600 price range, all day. So what do you thing? Should I buy one?

I have the Mavic Air which I bought as a beginner, and I don't fly it anymore. I now only fly the P4Pv2 for the reasons you stated. Additionally, the P4Pv2 is much more powerful, it can fly +40mph (with the wind) in sport mode, and the transmission signal is fantastic. It also gains altitude much faster than the Mavic Air. I have flown the P4Pv2 two miles out over Lake Tahoe to get some stunning photos, first pic is Emerald Bay in Lake Tahoe. I use it professionally for mapping and construction photos. I usually fly around San Francisco, and the P4Pv2 is stable and flawless in the constant wind, the last 2 photos were taken in 30 mph wind. It is a professional drone, I highly recommend it!
EMERALD BAY SUNRISE HD.jpg
from SIGN HILL SSF.jpg
PIGEON POINT LIGHTHOUSE NORTH VIEW WILDFLOWERS RYAN BARRETT.jpg

I have the Mavic Air which I bought as a beginner, and I don't fly it anymore. I now only fly the P4Pv2 for the reasons you stated. Additionally, the P4Pv2 is much more powerful, it can fly +40mph (with the wind) in sport mode, and the transmission signal is fantastic. It also gains altitude much faster than the Mavic Air. I have flown the P4Pv2 two miles out over Lake Tahoe to get some stunning photos, first pic is Emerald Bay in Lake Tahoe. I use it professionally for mapping and construction photos. I usually fly around San Francisco, and the P4Pv2 is stable and flawless in the constant wind, the last 2 photos were taken in 30 mph wind. It is a professional drone, I highly recommend it!View attachment 124126View attachment 124127View attachment 124128
The v2 is a bit out of budget. However the P4P sound good

If you buy a used Phantom, check out the batteries and how many times they have been re-charged. If the batteries show swelling, or are difficult to remove from the aircraft after flying, don't ever re-use them. A swollen P4P battery is just on the verge of frying the internal drone battery contacts and circuits, which did happen to me. In my own experience, I have had to get rid of a battery after about 150 charges with DJI original batteries.

Depending on your picture requirements, the P4 is more affordable and uses same batteries as the whole P4 line. It also has a bit stronger frame than the P4P and Adv. I use my P4 as often as my P4P as the quality is plenty good enough. Both are powerful, quality birds. If you do get the P4, switch the prop mounts to the P4P style as they are inexpensive and much safer.
Good luck

I have the P4P and M2P. If a windy day I tend to use the P4 but the main thing is that the M2P batteries discharge at a faster rate than the P4P. Not a problem unless it has been some days between flights .
Regardless of which way you go you'll enjoy it.

I have the Mavic Air which I bought as a beginner, and I don't fly it anymore. I now only fly the P4Pv2 for the reasons you stated. Additionally, the P4Pv2 is much more powerful, it can fly +40mph (with the wind) in sport mode, and the transmission signal is fantastic. It also gains altitude much faster than the Mavic Air. I have flown the P4Pv2 two miles out over Lake Tahoe to get some stunning photos, first pic is Emerald Bay in Lake Tahoe. I use it professionally for mapping and construction photos. I usually fly around San Francisco, and the P4Pv2 is stable and flawless in the constant wind, the last 2 photos were taken in 30 mph wind. It is a professional drone, I highly recommend it!View attachment 124126View attachment 124127View attachment 124128
Excellent photos 1 and 3!
Have you ever flown a P4?
What do you mean ? I had P3A for two y. Now I have P4P and MAir. I've been flying the P4P since 2017 so I know it pretty well.

What do you mean ? I had P3A for two y. Now I have P4P and MAir. I've been flying the P4P since 2017 so I know it pretty well.
Seems to be some confusion here. The op in his original post mentions a “P4”. My question to you in post number 7 was regarding just that, a P4. There are substantial differences between a P4 and the P4P which are very noticeable if one has flown both aircraft.

If you buy a used Phantom, check out the batteries and how many times they have been re-charged. If the batteries show swelling, or are difficult to remove from the aircraft after flying, don't ever re-use them. A swollen P4P battery is just on the verge of frying the internal drone battery contacts and circuits, which did happen to me. In my own experience, I have had to get rid of a battery after about 150 charges with DJI original batteries.
I read somewhere here that DJI rates the batteries for 200 cycles.

Seems to be some confusion here. The op in his original post mentions a “P4”. My question to you in post number 7 was regarding just that, a P4. There are substantial differences between a P4 and the P4P which are very noticeable if one has flown both aircraft.
Well, not so much as is between P4P and MAir. And as you see I flew P3A too.

Or… you could have just answered the question asked in post number 7.
It could have been a simple yes or no.
No. But still I don't think it's much different than P4P.
Now, it's about time to stop using this thread for our almost private discussion.
Maybe at some other occation.
Bye!

No. But still I don't think it's much different than P4P.
Now, it's about time to stop using this thread for our almost private discussion.
Maybe at some other occation.
Bye!
While he’s saying size doesn’t matter I assure you he’ll be much happier with an M2P.
I have both and for commercial flights the M2 P is just much easier.

Hello! Currently in the market for a new drone. My budget is 400-600€ , but i need your opinion. I have a mavic air and since I want a drone with a better transmission signal, I’m considering the P4. Regardless, I’m keeping my mavic, so the bigger size of the P4 is not a problem. Also important is that I’m looking forward to flying in more high wind conditions, so the more stable platform of the Phantom 4 makes perfect sense! After a quick look at used listing, I can find P4 +batteries and extras in the 400-600 price range, all day. So what do you thing? Should I buy one?
I have the MA2 , MP and P4P and I get the best pix from the P4P . But where I live all the tall trees seem to block the
signal and I have never got even close to the range DJI clams they have from any of them , even over open water .

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj