Phantom 4 - Gimbal Control Question?

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've got a feeling this could be a stupid question...
Does the phantom 4 gimbal have the function to move from side to side as well as up and down? I haven't used it for a while and can't seem to figure out how to switch between them. The left wheel currently moves the camera up and down only.
I thought this was an option for C1... button customization.

Help would be gratefully received!

Hi All,

I've got a feeling this could be a stupid question...
Does the phantom 4 gimbal have the function to move from side to side as well as up and down? I haven't used it for a while and can't seem to figure out how to switch between them. The left wheel currently moves the camera up and down only.
I thought this was an option for C1... button customization.

Help would be gratefully received!
No. The Phantom line does not have a camera that can be moved laterally. You would need to move up to the Inspire.

I don't believe it does, for pan left and right you have to rotate the aircraft. I suppose it makes sense because you would end up getting the landing gear in the way of the shot.
However, since Litchi has the VR mode with head tracking, it would be cool to have the gimbal free moving, independent of the craft for true immersion (in my humble opinion!!)

That makes complete sense now. Photos of the landing gear was never the aim! For some unknown reason, I was adamant that I was able to move it laterally. Maybe because I've been using the Matrice.

Thanks Guys.

it doesn't help that the way its mounted makes it look like it should rotate 360deg..

I must admit I was a little disappointed when i realised that it only did tilt. But I'll live.

The P3P has 2 ways the camera works, in Follow mode, the gimbal does move left and right a bit, in FPV mode it's locked solid. My guess is the P4 does the same. For FPV mode, the camera/gimbal is [supposed to be] locked to the Aircraft's orientation. For Follow Mode, it compensates for the aircraft Roll and Pitch by adjusting the camera orientation to keep the horizon horizontal.

Watch the horizon in this video;

Last edited:
The P3P has 2 ways the camera works, in Follow mode, the gimbal does move left and right a bit, in FPV mode it's locked solid. My guess is the P4 does the same. For FPV mode, the camera/gimbal is [supposed to be] locked to the Aircraft's orientation. For Follow Mode, it compensates for the aircraft Roll and Pitch by adjusting the camera orientation to keep the horizon horizontal.

Watch the horizon in this video;

That is all true, but not what the OP was asking. He was looking for manual pan (lateral) control of the gimbal. The gimbal has only enough play laterally to compensate for aircraft yaw. It is not meant to move under manual control, like can be done with an Inspire.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
src72