Reaction score
Help! This is my first post as I couldn't find an answer anywhere online. I really hope this community can provide some insight and help. My Phantom 4 took a dip in the ocean today. I actually didn't see what happened as I was trying to capture shots that were close to the water surface. I pretty much remained at least 3 feet above water. The copter was behind a wave and all I can think of was that it was hit by crashing waves while I lost VLOS for 2 seconds. The next thing I knew, my RC screen had red letters, I think it said "Malfunction" and the copter went into RTH. I hand caught it so it didn't land on the sand. I didn't take a pic of the result as all I was thinking was "What to do now?" I noticed the camera lense faced down and backwards. The copter was dripping with water from the propellers. When I got home, I took everything apart and used air compressor can to spray down everything. I also sprayed CRC QD Electronic Cleaner to hopefully clean off any salt on the electronic parts. And used the air can for good measure before I put it all back together. After initializing my RC, turned on copter, my RC says Aircraft Disconnected. My RC has a red light so I followed the procedure to pair using the DJI Support video to Linking RC but the "frequency button" stayed solid green, not the flashing red as in DJI video. The rear yellow lights flashes as normal for 30 seconds then turns solid red, like the front red lights. When the copter initializes, the camera moves to face forward, then faces down and backwards by 30 deg. I've tried different batteries, power down and restart everything. Nothing is connecting. Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance! BadMicroSD.jpg malfunctionP4.jpg malfunctionP4camera.jpg The first pic shows the microSD card that was in copter. The second pic shows the steady green frequency light and 4 red LED lights. The third pic show the camera position while copter is on.

Last edited:
Help! This is my first post as I couldn't find an answer anywhere online. I really hope this community can provide some insight and help. My Phantom 4 took a dip in the ocean today. I actually didn't see what happened as I was trying to capture shots that were close to the water surface. I pretty much remained at least 3 feet above water. The copter was behind a wave and all I can think of was that it was hit by crashing waves while I lost VLOS for 2 seconds. The next thing I knew, my RC screen had red letters, I think it said "Malfunction" and the copter went into RTH. I hand caught it so it didn't land on the sand. I didn't take a pic of the result as all I was thinking was "What to do now?" I noticed the camera lense faced down and backwards. The copter was dripping with water from the propellers. When I got home, I took everything apart and used air compressor can to spray down everything. I also sprayed CRC QD Electronic Cleaner to hopefully clean off any salt on the electronic parts. And used the air can for good measure before I put it all back together. After initializing my RC, turned on copter, my RC says Aircraft Disconnected. My RC has a red light so I followed the procedure to pair using the DJI Support video to Linking RC but the "frequency button" stayed solid green, not the flashing red as in DJI video. The rear yellow lights flashes as normal for 30 seconds then turns solid red, like the front red lights. When the copter initializes, the camera moves to face forward, then faces down and backwards by 30 deg. I've tried different batteries, power down and restart everything. Nothing is connecting. Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance! View attachment 80306 View attachment 80307 [ATTAsea waterCH]80308[/ATTACH] The first pic shows the microSD card that was in copter. The second pic shows the steady green frequency light and 4 red LED lights. The third pic show the camera position while copter is on.
HI been thinking on this,,,you might have been bit low to water and the vps (vision positioning) has reacted to water surface,,sea water and drones bad mix,,especially for camera...can't see pics that you posted they not come through.sounds like you tried few things have you tried delete and reinstall of app,,might wake p4 up,,not sure of inner workings but you were lucky to handcatch it,,usually get a short circuit somewhere when wet,,,,,,sorry to hear anyway ,,,have to have another think

HI been thinking on this,,,you might have been bit low to water and the vps (vision positioning) has reacted to water surface,,sea water and drones bad mix,,especially for camera...can't see pics that you posted they not come through.sounds like you tried few things have you tried delete and reinstall of app,,might wake p4 up,,not sure of inner workings but you were lucky to handcatch it,,usually get a short circuit somewhere when wet,,,,,,sorry to hear anyway ,,,have to have another think
Yip found pictures SD looks cooked ...mine got green light same as pic when I take SD card out it blinks red..is your one doing this or going solid red,,

Help! This is my first post as I couldn't find an answer anywhere online. I really hope this community can provide some insight and help. My Phantom 4 took a dip in the ocean today. I actually didn't see what happened as I was trying to capture shots that were close to the water surface. I pretty much remained at least 3 feet above water. The copter was behind a wave and all I can think of was that it was hit by crashing waves while I lost VLOS for 2 seconds. The next thing I knew, my RC screen had red letters, I think it said "Malfunction" and the copter went into RTH. I hand caught it so it didn't land on the sand. I didn't take a pic of the result as all I was thinking was "What to do now?" I noticed the camera lense faced down and backwards. The copter was dripping with water from the propellers. When I got home, I took everything apart and used air compressor can to spray down everything. I also sprayed CRC QD Electronic Cleaner to hopefully clean off any salt on the electronic parts. And used the air can for good measure before I put it all back together. After initializing my RC, turned on copter, my RC says Aircraft Disconnected. My RC has a red light so I followed the procedure to pair using the DJI Support video to Linking RC but the "frequency button" stayed solid green, not the flashing red as in DJI video. The rear yellow lights flashes as normal for 30 seconds then turns solid red, like the front red lights. When the copter initializes, the camera moves to face forward, then faces down and backwards by 30 deg. I've tried different batteries, power down and restart everything. Nothing is connecting. Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance! View attachment 80306 View attachment 80307 View attachment 80308 The first pic shows the microSD card that was in copter. The second pic shows the steady green frequency light and 4 red LED lights. The third pic show the camera position while copter is .............
Yip found pictures SD looks cooked ...mine got green light same as pic when I take SD card out it blinks red..is your one doing this or going solid red,,
Have you done IMU calibration Gimble will need one might make it normal ,almost thinking something wrong in relinking process

I am not sure how this reply will look as I am a brand new member and this is my first post. (there's a QUOTE before my reply) Thank you for your response ianzone. I flew with VPS off so it would not be affected by waves and tides. I was going for a dramatic shot filming surfers and the wave was rolling towards me and I lost sight for 2-3 seconds. It was enough for me to suffer this consequence. Lesson learned. I did manage to film a couple dolphins today. :)

I am not sure how this reply will look as I am a brand new member and this is my first post. (there's a QUOTE before my reply) Thank you for your response ianzone. I flew with VPS off so it would not be affected by waves and tides. I was going for a dramatic shot filming surfers and the wave was rolling towards me and I lost sight for 2-3 seconds. It was enough for me to suffer this consequence. Lesson learned. I did manage to film a couple dolphins today. :)
That's a good post ,,sorry about my all over the place ideas..:)

My frequency button is solid green with or without an SD card.

My frequency button is solid green with or without an SD card.
Yeh something funny there ..light should flash red when SD card out,,,my light solid green when turned on
1491969291220-1070774174.jpg
this mine turned on

Yeh something funny there ..light should flash red when SD card out,,,my light solid green when turned onView attachment 80309this mine turned on
Yes, it should be flashing or solid red when its either not connected to RC or not have SD card. Mine stays solid green as if everything is OK. So I am wondering if I fried something. And if I did, WHAT did I fry and WHAT do I need to replace? I didn't reinstall DJI Go 4 app as the copter stays green regardless of whether the RC is on or not.

BTW, the gimbal and camera should face forward and salute like yours. :) Mine is limp and faces backwards. Not a good salute.
Yeh that SD card says it not good,,maybe download picture of inside description of parts that could fry,,,have to have a study on this,,I'm actually amazed there's not a lot of replys here on this might be a tricky one

Here's a close up of no SD card in slot. Solid green frequency light. Camera facing backwards.
greenlightandcamera_closeup.jpg

Yeh that SD card says it not good,,maybe download picture of inside description of parts that could fry,,,have to have a study on this,,I'm actually amazed there's not a lot of replys here on this might be a tricky one
Here's the gut of p4 after i took it apart to blow out any residual "salt" water. I saw that my micro USB port was greyed out possibly from the salt water coming in contact with that kind of metal? Not sure. It just didn't look normal color. My microSD card port was also jamming. When I was trying to test the green light with and without the SD card in slot, I had to use a tweezer to remove my microSD. I did make sure it clicked each time I push it in so I don't break any springs. Yes, I am very careful with every step. I just want to know what can cause the frequency light to stay green even if there's no SD card in slot, and it isn't connected to the RC. AND why my camera faces backwards and limp. I suppose once that is solved, it would probably solve the 4 LED lights and the connection to my RC.
gutofp4.jpg

Here's the gut of p4 after i took it apart to blow out any residual "salt" water. I saw that my micro USB port was greyed out possibly from the salt water coming in contact with that kind of metal? Not sure. It just didn't look normal color. My microSD card port was also jamming. When I was trying to test the green light with and without the SD card in slot, I had to use a tweezer to remove my microSD. I did make sure it clicked each time I push it in so I don't break any springs. Yes, I am very careful with every step. I just want to know what can cause the frequency light to stay green even if there's no SD card in slot, and it isn't connected to the RC. AND why my camera faces backwards and limp. I suppose once that is solved, it would probably solve the 4 LED lights and the connection to my RC.View attachment 80312
Wow good to see inside,,how you say USB port discolored must have shorted out .problem why it doesn't want to connect...I just looked on uncle Google for SD card port faults,,didn't find much..just having tea and I do some searching

Gezz Yip that not looking good,,,good spotting..well at least I know now what to look for,,hope you get that sorted and back in the air...best of luck:(;)
Thanks for looking out. This cord is connected to the gimbal. It is also on the same board as the frequency button. I just hope it didnt fry all the way to the copter itself. Now, my only curiosity is whether that white line is normal or not... the one depicted with a brass arrow on it from the earlier post. Any idea? Have you ever opened your copter?
insidegimbal.jpg

Thanks for looking out. This cord is connected to the gimbal. It is also on the same board as the frequency button. I just hope it didnt fry all the way to the copter itself. Now, my only curiosity is whether that white line is normal or not... the one depicted with a brass arrow on it from the earlier post. Any idea? Have you ever opened your copter?View attachment 80316
Not I never needed to YET ,,all me phantoms still complete,,,those ribbon cables seemed to link all over,,depending on cost I would change board ,,or even try pic up cheap one for parts

Reactions: Zeaque

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31