Reaction score
I replaced my shell on the phantom 4 and now it says esc error on all 4 motors. When I replaced the shell I cut motor wires and numbered them to put back in correct location. I used sand paper to remove laquor from wire soldered back together and used heat shrink tube to put back together. Got continuity from cut wire to the solder spot on board. Help

I replaced my shell on the phantom 4 and now it says esc error on all 4 motors. When I replaced the shell I cut motor wires and numbered them to put back in correct location. I used sand paper to remove laquor from wire soldered back together and used heat shrink tube to put back together. Got continuity from cut wire to the solder spot on board. Help

Hi db407.

I have to reach deep into my wild-azz-guess bag for this one...

Some types of soldering irons may not be insulated at the tip or it has failed. This can present a voltage which in some cases can damage the circuits you're soldering.

As I said it's a w-a-g.

The first page of the linked document below describes a way to test this.
https://www.esda.org/assets/Uploads/documents/OpenForumHandtoolsPrass08.pdf

Good luck!

Hi db407.

I have to reach deep into my wild-azz-guess bag for this one...

Some types of soldering irons may not be insulated at the tip or it has failed. This can present a voltage which in some cases can damage the circuits you're soldering.

As I said it's a w-a-g.

The first page of the linked document below describes a way to test this.
https://www.esda.org/assets/Uploads/documents/OpenForumHandtoolsPrass08.pdf

Good luck!
Also when I put the motors back on I bolted them down without other half of shell by mistake and damaged the copper windings in the motor a little. Not terrible but it's noticeable. Thinking that may be an issue as well

Also when I put the motors back on I bolted them down without other half of shell by mistake and damaged the copper windings in the motor a little. Not terrible but it's noticeable. Thinking that may be an issue as well

OH MY!

That is the problem!
The wires are extremely fine and I'm afraid they can't take any 'disturbance'.

You'll need to replace those which are damaged.

Sounds like the op did not use a solder gun, but instead just used shrink tube. I could be reading it wrong.

OP you should really consider taking your Phantom to a professional.

Sounds like the op did not use a solder gun, but instead just used shrink tube. I could be reading it wrong.

OP you should really consider taking your Phantom to a professional.

Probably RIW...

" I used sand paper to remove laquor from wire soldered back together and used heat shrink tube to put back together. "

Reactions: Helihover
If you're not proficient at soldering to PCBs this can be a viable method.

Turns out the problems are not related to soldering anyways.

Reactions: Dennis3257
yes I sanded the he'll out of them got good continuity. Used flux and put a nice heavy solder on them. Still esc error. I have 4 new motors on the way. Hope that fixes the problem. Hope it's not the boards.

yes I sanded the he'll out of them got good continuity. Used flux and put a nice heavy solder on them. Still esc error. I have 4 new motors on the way. Hope that fixes the problem. Hope it's not the boards.

Well until you replace the motors you can't do any further troubleshooting. Visibly damaged coils are definitely going to cause this error so it is not wasted effort or $.

While I don't believe the splice is an issue based on your explanation, go ahead and attach new motors at the PCB. Take time and don't overheat the PCB.

Remove old wires then clear old solder from PCB. You don't need 'heavy' solder just a good connection where the joint remains shiny and don't move until solder has cooled/solidified.

Test before replacing top shell.

I refuse to take to professional at this point. They will charge out the ***. Plus I hear a lot of bad things sending it in to dji. People say they flew it once and esc error came back. Or it just fell out of sky. I did a trade on this drone on something I got for free so I wouldn't really be out much if I can't fix it. I would rather get the experience. That's how you learn. I appreciate all the help from you guys too. I got a light that attaches to your hat and took it apart to get led strip out of it so I can wire it to front leds that I have working off c2. Will be sweet if it works

Reactions: Droneboondocker
Well until you replace the motors you can't do any further troubleshooting. Visibly damaged coils are definitely going to cause this error so it is not wasted effort or $.

While I don't believe the splice is an issue based on your explanation, go ahead and attach new motors at the PCB. Take time and don't overheat the PCB.

Remove old wires then clear old solder from PCB. You don't need 'heavy' solder just a good connection where the joint remains shiny and don't move until solder has cooled/solidified.

Test before replacing top shell.
I think I may have ruined board them because on the wired that the wire strip are glued to were a ***** to get heated up enough. Took literally 20 minutes of heating to get wires to seperate from board

I think I may have ruined board them because on the wired that the wire strip are glued to were a ***** to get heated up enough. Took literally 20 minutes of heating to get wires to seperate from board

Well that is not good and indicative of a problem with your iron or tip.
I should take just a couple of seconds to melt the solder joint.

Also, limit mods until you solve this issue.
With regards to your LED addition/replacement mentioned previously- Use caution when trying such a seemingly simple modification. The circuitry does not have a great deal of margin so replacing LEDs can potentially cause other problems or failures due to possible increased current demand.

Well
Well that is not good and indicative of a problem with your iron or tip.
I should take just a couple of seconds to melt the solder joint.

Also, limit mods until you solve this issue.
With regards to your LED addition/replacement mentioned previously- Use caution when trying such a seemingly simple modification. The circuitry does not have a great deal of margin so replacing LEDs can potentially cause other problems or failures due to possible increased current demand.
Well crap LOL. Yes I heard the boards can't take much. I really hope I didn't ruin the esc board. The cw motors will be here Sunday and the ccw motors will be here between the 3 and 5 of Jan. HOPE this solves the issue. It has to be the motors because when I reattached the wires I wound them it a great way. Hard to explain but I wound one wire all the way around the other. All the way up. Had great connection. Volt never had no hesitation getting continuity

Okay so I replaced all 4 motors. Still have esc error. Kinda does the D-D-D-D sound but half asses. motor 3 and 4 constantly beep not sure the problem

Okay the problem was connection. I resoldered the contacts on the boards with heavy bead and it fixed the problem. Just the compass error now. But the bird still goes in the air

Okay the problem was connection. I resoldered the contacts on the boards with heavy bead and it fixed the problem. Just the compass error now. But the bird still goes in the air
Glad to hear you fixed your problem, I'm going through the same thing now. I've learned a lot by reading your post so thank you for putting your experience and your fix up for everyone to reference.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4