Phantom 4 doesn't fly straight

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have a problem. My Phantom 4 will not fly straight when in GPS and sport mode. And when I try to turn the drone, it is unresponsive, sometimes, and other times it will move the opposite direction that I moved the stick for a split-second, and then moves the right way, but stop and pause. I am trying to do manual orbits around a subject, and it is almost impossible to do when I am holding the yaw stick steady just a hair from Center, but the drone itself moves back and forth erratically. also, when I fly straight in GPS or sport mode, it will sometimes turn a little bit in the video, making it have sudden little jerky movements and it goes off course just a little bit, which is very frustrating. I know I am holding the stick very straight, I have steady hands. And on my last drone I never had this issue, I could pull off perfect straight lines and perfect orbits all the time. I don't know if it is a gimbal issue, or the Phantom physically not flying the right way, or if there is a problem that I need to fix. Does anyone else have this problem? Or have fixed it?
Thanks.

Initially sounds like it might be a problem with the RC left stick. Is yaw the only issue you're having? Have you tried a stick calibration yet? Also could be debris or liquid gotten in the left potentiometer.

ETA: Ok, I went back and read your initial post over again which answered my yaw/left stick question above. Still recommend an RC calibration if you have not done so yet

Last edited:
Initially sounds like it might be a problem with the RC left stick. Is yaw the only issue you're having? Have you tried a stick calibration yet? Also could be debris or liquid gotten in the left potentiometer.

ETA: Ok, I went back and read your initial post over again which answered my yaw/left stick question above. Still recommend an RC calibration if you have not done so yet
I have done a stick calibration twice now to try to solve the problem, as well as an imu calibration and a few times with the compass. I heard one guy say to calibrate the vision positioning sensors. I don't know how that would help my problem, but I'll try, since calibrating things is always a good thing to do anyway.

Calibration is often used as a cure all with no real progress in solving the problem. A better route may be to look at some stored data to determine what is actually happening with what you’re describing.
I have seen this mentioned several times. Where is this log data stored and how to I access it to take a look at it. Does it label problems and errors or do I just have to look at what I did and what the P4P did and figure out why they differ on my own?

Where is this log data stored and how to I access it to take a look at it.
The device you fly with records both a .txt and a .dat flight log on the device. The .txt logs can be uploaded and reviewed on Airdata, or you can use the Phantom Help Viewer here: Log Viewer

The aircraft itself also records its own flight data and can be accessed thusly: Retrieve a V3 Dat

All of these require some knowledge of telemetry data with the exception of the Airdata and Phantom Help Viewer. These are basically overviews.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31