Phantom 4 CRASH PLEASE HELP!!!

DJI can also look at your stick movements after the NFZ auto landing was initiated to see if you 'tried' to steer around obstacles, and if the bird followed or ignored those commands. The encrypted data stored on the internal micro-sd card is usually the key in determining if it is pilot error, or DJI error.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
If he can get the DAT file we can actually see this data using DATCON.

Hindsight is 20/20 and obviously the thing to do was to stop after the first warning. Having said that, if anyone of us got "lucky" and took off only from the second take off point and encountered a TFR NFZ under the same RTH scenario we may not have faired any better. Especially if you'd flow that same flight before a few times.

Hopefully DJI sort this out, but that first warning could penalize the OP.

Looks like I got a message about the NFZ. Could a NFZ have been caused by the fog, which was getting worse and worse as the flight went on? I went on knowbeforeyoufly.org and there weren't any NFZ's listed on the map in my area. The log file is from the DJI GO app.

During the first try, DJI Go said 'cannot take off" because of a NFZ. I restarted Dji go, and the phantom, and the issue seemed to have been resolved. I may have moved it a couple of feet.

Could this be the "infamous" software problem where DJI forces the craft to land wherever it is because of the no fly zone you were obviously in. (If King Obama was in town, there would have definitely been a temporary NFZ issued.) The GO app warned you but turning it off and back on somehow fooled it temporarily.

There was a long post about this a while back. (link below) DJI takes complete control of the drone and forces it to land "NO MATTER WHERE IT IS", taking complete control away from the pilot.

DJI Mandatory, uninterruptible actions are wrong, legally actionable

I admit this is my one very large beef with DJI. No ability to disable the drone from being big brother when it comes to where I'm flying.

Hindsight is 20/20 and obviously the thing to do was to stop after the first warning. Having said that, if anyone of us got "lucky" and took off only from the second take off point and encountered a TFR NFZ under the same RTH scenario we may not have faired any better. Especially if you'd flow that same flight before a few times.

Hopefully DJI sort this out, but that first warning could penalize the OP.

Yep. If I get that warning I'll shut down and check for TFR's or NOTAM's in the area. When in doubt I'll just pack up and find another site.......or go home and do yard work or the 'honey-do list'. Yuk. [emoji30]

I admit this is my one very large beef with DJI. No ability to disable the drone from being big brother when it comes to where I'm flying.
I don't mind and actually want it to tell me I flew into a NFZ but I'd like to try to fly it out or land it myself. I'd hate to pan down and just watch it crash into a tree or land on a road per the link great_lakes posted.

Yep. If I get that warning I'll shut down and check for TFR's or NOTAM's in the area. When in doubt I'll just pack up and find another site.......or go home and do yard work or the 'honey-do list'. Yuk. [emoji30]

I learn from these types of threads so I guess I will also be doing yardwork if I ever encounter that warning :)

Should I send an email to dji to start a case?

go to dji site and support are and submit a case.
why would you not have done this already as soon as you crashed?
what harm is there to send them the log file and see what they say.
THEN you can worry about the what ifs.....

good luck!

I see a lot of confusion about the NFZ and how it works with DJI devices.

all NFZ are listed here:

DJI GEO System - Unlock Areas For Authorized Access

you need to have an account and log in

here are the NFZ of your area. You were NOT in a NFZ. No doubt about it.

flight area.png

there is a file with the coordinates of the NFZ loaded into the drone, which get read by the software you use to command the drone.
In your case DJI Go I assume -could have been Litchi, Altizure and many others, they all must read this file-.

By getting the GPS location it knows if you are in one of these zones.

It is NOT a dynamic process, DJI cannot add on the fly a temporary NFZ to your Drone.
In order to add or delete one you need to replace the file loaded into the drone.
It is not done automatically. You have to update it.

you can unlock the Authorization Zone (yellow) by yourself from the web site above, by giving some details. It works 24 hours at a time.

Red Zones can be unlocked by DJI if there is a valid reasons -I did it for a survey at an airport-.
You obviously need to provide quite a bit of paperwork.

If you enter a NFZ the bird just will land and there is nothing you can do about it.

In you case it is crystal clear that the device detected a wrong location by giving you a NFZ which does not exist.

In reality it had two problems, because it saw you were in a NFZ on the first time and then let you take off, which should NOT happen.

Everything points to a GPS intermittent malfunction, which made it inconsistently see the drone in a wrong position with a NFZ.

Do not hesitate to contact DJI, who has a consistent policy of replacing drones damaged due to technical problem.

You have more than what needed to prove your case.

Hope the above could help you

rgds
Bernie

Do not hesitate to contact DJI, who has a consistent policy of replacing drones damaged due to technical problem

I am planning to contact DJI as soon as I gather all the knowledge there is about NFZs which will give me the best chance to prove my case. Thank you for the informative post.

What should I send as my proof of purchase? Should I send pictures of the damage? Should I send the DJI GO log, the DAT log, or both? If so, in what form should I send these? What exactly should I write? Should I say "I believe your drone malfunctioned" or "what happened here?" How long should o expect them to take to respond? Just trying to give myself the bet chance of winning this case. This is the form I'm looking at

Attachments

• IMG_3486.PNG
    IMG_3486.PNG
    41.4 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_3487.PNG
    IMG_3487.PNG
    52.1 KB · Views: 367
No to digress but, is there a resource (iPad app or else) that shows no-fly zones on a map?

Yes, look at 'Hover' app in the App Store, it shows no fly zones via circles on a map relative to your triangulated GPS coordinates.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

It is NOT a dynamic process, DJI cannot add on the fly a temporary NFZ to your Drone.
In order to add or delete one you need to replace the file loaded into the drone.
It is not done automatically. You have to update it.
Do you know that for a fact? Not arguing, it's something I am unsure of because it would not be hard for them to do so.

How will they be able to see the first warning? Can I send them logs from ONLY the problematic flight so they can't see it?
They will ask you to sync your flight logs from the go app or upload the files from the bird. Either will have the last few flights on them.

I pondered the same question. How does the drone know of 'dynamic' NFZs? T do this, the drone must be constantly connected to the internet and update its internal 'maps' dynamically. This of course is neither practical nor realistic. How about this: The 'dynamic' NFZs could be 'emitting/broadcasting' radio waves over the specific NFZ that make it easy for aircrafts to detect it.

You can tell, I honestly do not know (yet) how NFZs work or even how they are enforced ... anyone can shed a light on this mystery?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94