Phantom 4 Case

Reaction score
I currently still use the foam case the P4 comes in while traveling around. I'm in search of a case that would be easier to carry with me on my travels where I'm looking to fly. For example, I will be taking a trip to Michigan's Upper Peninsula here in a few weeks and will be doing a lot of hiking which draws me to a backpack case... however they all seem rather expensive... Anyone have any experience with a more mobile case? Any information would be appreciated.

If you are going to do any amount of hiking (or walking) a hard case will be quite bothersome and impractical. I got a hard case from Drones Plus. It is a great case based on a Pelican cases which have always been my favorite cases. The hard case is excellent way to transport the drone and accessories. But in my opinion a hard case, any hard case, is bit impractical to be lugging around too far from the car or transport especially when caring 4 batteries. Just lugging it across the beach was less than practical. The solution? I just ordered a backpack case from Go Professional Cases. After buying their hard case for my Osmo I am very impressed with their products. So after my experience in my vacation, I am convinced that a backpack is the way to go. So I can't wait to get the GPC Limited Edition Phantom 4 backpack.

I have the Manfrotto D1 for backpack and Nanuk 945 for hard case.

This guy does a great review on the D1

will be doing a lot of hiking which draws me to a backpack case... however they all seem rather expensive
You can find a lot of inexpensive backpacks here.

Yes the Phantom 4 Limited edition backpack from GPC is based on a 5.11 Rush 72 backpack with their foam insert. That is a big advantage over the pack that relay on soft, cushioned dividers which attach to the pack and each other with Velcro. The shaped foam should provide superior protection to the drone. The only draw back to this is: the pack will not provide enough real protection for travel by plane. So it I am going somewhere by plane I plan on transporting the drone in the hard case then using the backpack to take it "on location". Most other backpacks when empty, you can be compressed into a pretty much" packable" item. Not so much with the GPC packs. It will be like packing two complete cases. Now if I am traveling in my car where I have full control, using the GPC backpack alone will be no problem. We'll see how things work out but either way a backpack is necessary in my opinion. If I were to do it over again I would first get a backpack. Then the hard case if necessary. If I was going to have just one case, again, I would choose a backpack, unless of course my travels included hard handling of the drone case or traveling by plane.

Check out one of the ProCraft Backpacks. I bought one for $119 that fits my P4 and accessories perfectly and securely. Very roomy and well made.

Hey Phill2, I have one of these. Quality is not as good as the DJI hard shell for the P3 but it's not bad. It needs some foam removal to fit the P4 - slot for gimbal guard and where the motors recess into the top.

I currently still use the foam case the P4 comes in while traveling around. I'm in search of a case that would be easier to carry with me on my travels where I'm looking to fly. For example, I will be taking a trip to Michigan's Upper Peninsula here in a few weeks and will be doing a lot of hiking which draws me to a backpack case... however they all seem rather expensive... Anyone have any experience with a more mobile case? Any information would be appreciated.

Hey Kyle,
This is my DIY method. I purchased polyethylene foam off ebay. This is hard foam, which is similar to some of those high end cases. Using a router bit on a dremel and sharp utility knife, i made cutouts for the phantom 4. Then I held it together using about a 3.5ft velcro strap. I chose this method cause i spent the money on the hard cases, but still wanted something for temporary hikes or events. Then i have a 65L osprey bag, which it fits. You might be able to get away with a 45L osprey bag. But at least this way, i can still use the bag for other things and not spend $$ just for a phantom bag. The foam is fairly cheap at $25 (6 Sheets - 12" x 12" x 2" POLYETHYLENE PLANK FOAM, Density 1.7pcf BEST PRICE PE). Ill post some pics to give people an idea. It gives it enough security to prevent from jostling around in my bag unprotected. Let me know what you think

That thing looks sweet! Any complaints about yours so far?

I wish the intended battery pockets held the P4 batteries but if you watched the review in its entirety, he explains where to store them. I reached out to Manfrotto and they said they had no immediate plans for an updated version however they did send me a PDF outlining what was said in the video as far as storing the batteries in one of the side compartments. I use a rigid piece of thin foam to keep the batteries from contacting each other.

My only other complaint is that it's almost too nice to take on a rugged outdoor hike! I use mine when I take the kids to the park and it works great.

Just keep in mind that different cases are good for different applications. For maximum versatility, I'd say something like the 511 Rush 72 with insert because it has Mollie straps all over it for attaching endless amounts of storage. The D1 it's perfect for me because instead of an extra camera, I can throw snacks for the kids up top.

I wish the intended battery pockets held the P4 batteries but if you watched the review in its entirety, he explains where to store them. I reached out to Manfrotto and they said they had no immediate plans for an updated version however they did send me a PDF outlining what was said in the video as far as storing the batteries in one of the side compartments. I use a rigid piece of thin foam to keep the batteries from contacting each other.

My only other complaint is that it's almost too nice to take on a rugged outdoor hike! I use mine when I take the kids to the park and it works great.

Just keep in mind that different cases are good for different applications. For maximum versatility, I'd say something like the 511 Rush 72 with insert because it has Mollie straps all over it for attaching endless amounts of storage. The D1 it's perfect for me because instead of an extra camera, I can throw snacks for the kids up top.

I think I'm leaning towards the Manfrotto because I'll be able to put my DSLR and GOPRO in the top pouch. No kids yet however I can see how it the top pouch would be useful for snacks as well. I've got a Norman Camera store close to me and they didn't have one in stock but said they would be happy to order one in so I can check it out. Should be here at the beginning of next week. I'm excited to check it out.

Reactions: Chopstix Kid
I think I'm leaning towards the Manfrotto because I'll be able to put my DSLR and GOPRO in the top pouch. No kids yet however I can see how it the top pouch would be useful for snacks as well. I've got a Norman Camera store close to me and they didn't have one in stock but said they would be happy to order one in so I can check it out. Should be here at the beginning of next week. I'm excited to check it out.

Get yourself some motor covers too.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl