Phantom 3 vibration after removing motors

Reaction score

Hi guys, i repaired some stress cracks on the inside of the shell with some gorilla glue, i removed the motors and the top shell and then glued the areas to make the crack safe again. I then reinstalled the motors and went for my first flight today this is what is now happening. Any ideas ? I went indoors re tightened every screw still no change in the strong vibration through gimbal and legs. Is there a certain way to reinstall the motors ? Ive done an imu calibration and tried new props and gimbal calibration to no avail.

Josh

Just a wag but you may want to pull it apart again and double check the motor mounts. Too tight on those screws may have cracked one or more. Yeah, its a pain, but personally I wouldn't fly it with such vibration.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
The screws in the motors should be tightened down " slowly in a criss cross pattern".... and NOT One at a time ..all the way around.....And they make a plastic safe lock tite....But its very expensive....IF you continue to fly like that You will be faced with re cracks and more New ones too ! Ground that quad till you get it fixed ! ...imu and gimbal calibration has not a thing to do with vibrations like that !

The screws in the motors should be tightened down " slowly in a criss cross pattern".... and NOT One at a time ..all the way around.....And they make a plastic safe lock tite....But its very expensive....IF you continue to fly like that You will be faced with re cracks and more New ones too ! Ground that quad till you get it fixed ! ...imu and gimbal calibration has not a thing to do with vibrations like that !

Ok il undo the screws again. Il give each screw one rotation and then move to the opposite one. How can I check off feel that they are in just the right amount ? Is it Just before I can turn them no more by hand ? I’ve also noticed that all 4 screw on each arm don’t sit equally flush, two are raised more than the other two. Is this correct ?

Tighten In a criss cross pattern.. ( X pattern..) tighten slowly...a *Good Snug tightness * is all you need....These screws should all be checked before flights...The 2 screws that are near the main body of the drone are the different ones are you asking about them ? ....all 4 around the motors all look the same...the 2 together are different in the setting...on the 4 outer arms .

Ok il loosen and try again with the X pattern. I mean with the 4 in the circle should they all be equally flush, as it feels 1 or 2 go further in then the others.

I’ve ordered some stress plates, when they arrive should I really be applying loctite to those screws also ?

Thanks for your help

Attachments

• 6BEE3147-51C8-4005-8FF0-F38D02458D69.jpeg
    6BEE3147-51C8-4005-8FF0-F38D02458D69.jpeg
    193.5 KB · Views: 401
I don’t give much belief in the tightening order of the screws causing this problem nor the need for Loctite.

You may have over-stiffened the arms resulting in reduced flexing and dampening.

Reactions: Joshua crane
I agree its Not the initial cause OF the problem....But tell me IF i'm wrong on the sequence of the tightening of them around the motors...I don't think You should tighten one Tight as it can go and move to the other 3 !...and "i don't use lock tight " i use a small bit of 4 lb fishing line in the hole to give friction to prevent the tiny screws from loosening up ! No liquid is involved ! Do you have any pictures of the glued area in side the pods......that over doing it with way too much gorilla glue might be the problem as the guy stated above !

No on the lock tite....its eats plastic Unless you buy the very expensive one....And its kinda late to add the plates !...and ok on the motor screws...them two inboard ones dont look like right....Wished you had that opened picture.of just how much glue is involved in the repairs like a smear OR a BIG Gob and how many arms were cracked ! Dji will repair the first set that was cracked under warranty..i have read that here on a thread !..after that No !

Last edited:
No on the lock tite....its eats plastic Unless you buy the very expensive one....And its kinda late to add the plates !...and ok on the motor screws...them two inboard ones dont look like right....Wished you had that opened picture.of just how much glue is involved in the repairs like a smear OR a BIG Gob and how many arms were cracked ! Dji will reair the first set that was cracked under warranty..i have read that here on a thread !..after that No !

It’s leaning more on a big blob then a smear but not affecting or touching any other edges, I can dissemble it and take a pic but can’t see how it could affect it so it vibrates ? Only one arm was cracked and it was just one fine line, I agree the screws don’t look right to me either but it’s the only way they will sit.

That Big "Blob" !....Why its vibrating as NO107RW stated above : You may have "over-stiffened the arms" resulting in reduced flexing and dampening.!

IF.....You can carefully open it UP and shoot a few pictures and that will tell us more of what you have done for a better idea of the repairs of the quad

Hi guys, i repaired some stress cracks on the inside of the shell with some gorilla glue, i removed the motors and the top shell and then glued the areas to make the crack safe again. I then reinstalled the motors and went for my first flight today this is what is now happening. Any ideas ? I went indoors re tightened every screw still no change in the strong vibration through gimbal and legs. Is there a certain way to reinstall the motors ? Ive done an imu calibration and tried new props and gimbal calibration to no avail.

Josh
Josh, I had cracks in my shell and replaced the shell, but before putting it back together I reenforced the arms with plastaid. My arms are very rigid and I have no vibration. Are you sure the motors are seated between the guide tabs all the way? Almost sounds like you have glue on top of one of the screw posts and your motor is sitting at more of an angle than it should. If everything is seated correctly try balancing the prop on the motor on the repaired arm.

Josh, I had cracks in my shell and replaced the shell, but before putting it back together I reenforced the arms with plastaid. My arms are very rigid and I have no vibration. Are you sure the motors are seated between the guide tabs all the way? Almost sounds like you have glue on top of one of the screw posts and your motor is sitting at more of an angle than it should. If everything is seated correctly try balancing the prop on the motor on the repaired arm.
I hope he opens it ^ UP ^ .takes a few pictures of the insides and especially the crack repaired area for us to be able to fully help him..!

Ok guys here’s a video of the inside, there was a bit of glue up on where the motor sits I’ve scraped it away then went and hovered the drone in the garden and still vibrating bad.

v

Attachments

• 3A3EDA84-CB82-4A96-9D83-86E552F75A2B.jpeg
    3A3EDA84-CB82-4A96-9D83-86E552F75A2B.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 405
Here is the motors rotations could one of these be faulty the left of the drone from the back seems to offer more power ? Is this noemal?

Josh.....ever thing was fine Before the crack repair "right" ?...Thats cleaned off nicely and IMHO not going to a factor in the vibes !....and some woman or even a guy much smarter then i am.... will have to help you seems like only a few guys has had any ideas so far that hasn't worked / solved your vibrations problems !

Ok guys so its being wracking my brains all day trying to figure this out, i dismantled all motors reinstalled them still had the vibration, watched a few more videos on YouTube and this one guy came across the same issue and he simply toned the gain values down all each to 90% I rebooted the bird and got her in the air again in the garden and to my amazement it’s back to normal ! No more vibration, now I don’t know the ins and outs and how this has stopped it has. Big thank you to motorcycle-man and everyone else who tried to help. It’s another problem that we have learnt a fix for !

It's great to hear you have resolved the issue. I also have a P3P and cracks which I fixed. I would like to offer a couple points which I have not read here but you and others may be aware
of it already. When you reinstall the motors they need to be exactly seated and lined up as before (as cracking may change it} also the motors are offset inwards about 2 degrees this is done for dispersing down wash when coming down and specially on landing. It was mentioned that any lock tite will eat into plastic which I was also told BUT one small drop of superglue works magic.
Hope this helps for future times. Cheers, John

Ok guys so its being wracking my brains all day trying to figure this out, i dismantled all motors reinstalled them still had the vibration, watched a few more videos on YouTube and this one guy came across the same issue and he simply toned the gain values down all each to 90% I rebooted the bird and got her in the air again in the garden and to my amazement it’s back to normal ! No more vibration, now I don’t know the ins and outs and how this has stopped it has. Big thank you to motorcycle-man and everyone else who tried to help. It’s another problem that we have learnt a fix for !
Josh.....I sure did my best to help you and i knew how much you wanted it back to being normal too...U-Tube really has some great helps videos for US drone owners....i watched many way before i bought my P3SE...i then had a great idea of what i getting in to....Then after i got the Drone...i set and read that manuel over and over...and taking it all in so when i lifted off the drone for the 1st time and took to the skys above...I would sure be in control. and i sure was too....I'm so happy that your back to flying your drone...Id sure fit them plates now...and yes tighten them in a criss cross pattern and see what that one guy said about that super glue on the screws threads....just a very very lite smear is all that you need.......So Drone On !

Reactions: Joshua crane

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl