Phantom 3 Standard video goggles/glasses

Reaction score
I have just purchased a DJI Phantom 3 standard drone.

I would like to ask for some advice/recommendations regarding VR experience please.

What I want to do is basically see what the drone sees. I can currently do that by using my mobile phone attached to the RC, however what I would like to do is obtain a more VR experience.

If I am correct the P3 Standard cannot be controlled by goggles as they are not compatible? I'm not really that bothered about that.

Can anyone recommend a set of goggles/glasses that are compatible with the DJI PHANTOM 3 Standard drone that will give me what I am after?

Thank you in advance

John

I have just purchased a DJI Phantom 3 standard drone.

I would like to ask for some advice/recommendations regarding VR experience please.

What I want to do is basically see what the drone sees. I can currently do that by using my mobile phone attached to the RC, however what I would like to do is obtain a more VR experience.

If I am correct the P3 Standard cannot be controlled by goggles as they are not compatible? I'm not really that bothered about that.

Can anyone recommend a set of goggles/glasses that are compatible with the DJI PHANTOM 3 Standard drone that will give me what I am after?

Thank you in advance

John
Congratulations on your purchase. The P3S is a solid performer.

So here's the bad news. The controller does not support any kind output or even an adapter that would enable you to connect googles.

The good news is there are two alternatives at your disposal:

1) Purchase a copy of Litchi to use while flying. It has an FPV/VR mode that would enable you to use your phone. All you would need is a headset to hold your phone. Never tried it.

2) Look for a used NVIDIA Shield K1 tablet. These are no longer in production but still available. The K1 has an HDMI output that can feed the screen image to a pair of goggles. Loads of choices and I went with the Fatsharks. Not really for me so I rarely use them but it does work when flying my P3S.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Agree with larbear. And also not only is litchi cheaper but it will give you a good idea to see how you cope with VR. I tried it last year and...well.... Never again lol I got motion sickness, maybe the official DJI goggles won't do that but for me... I had enough. As fun as it was, I just couldn't stand it

If you go with the second suggestion above, you'll be able to use any goggles/glasses that connect via HDMI. The Avegant Glyph headset is a good option if you want something that's more compact and easy to pack. The DJI Goggles are a better option if you're after the largest view. You can find a list of other commonly used goggles/glasses here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark The Droner
Thank you all for your responses. I particularly like the comment regarding motion sickness, I hadn't considered that one?

Are there other tablets available that have HDMI output suitable with use with goggles?

Thanks again in advance

John

Are there other tablets available that have HDMI output suitable with use with goggles?
The Dragon Touch V10 is another Android tablet that some people are using. It has a mini HDMI output. I haven't tried it myself, so I cannot recommend it from experience.

DragonTouch.jpg

Last edited:
LarBear360

Excellent video,

Has inspired me also, now I just need to find the Nvidia Tablet?

Thank you very much for your advice

John (Scotland)

Reactions: LarBear360
So, if I decide to go with the Fatshark Dominator goggles. If I am buying used say off ebay, what do I need to make sure I am getting along with the goggles? In other words are there any additional accessories/components I will need to make sure are included in the sale?

Thanks in advance

So, if I decide to go with the Fatshark Dominator goggles. If I am buying used say off ebay, what do I need to make sure I am getting along with the goggles? In other words are there any additional accessories/components I will need to make sure are included in the sale?

Thanks in advance
Great question. My kit arrived with everything but a battery charger. The batteries are common throughout the racing drone community and those guys already own chargers. Expect $25-$30 for the charger.

The cable that ships with the goggles will connect to your tablet.

Last edited:
Reactions: LarBear360
You can use a controller for the P3S from a more advanced P3 Drone?
No. The controllers are very different. You will see a P3Pro in the video but it's not about the controller rather the tablet he's using. The key to this guy's set-up is the tablet and not the controller.

Last edited:
No. The controllers are very different. You will see a P3Pro in the video but it's not about the controller rather the tablet he's using. The key to this guy's set-up is the tablet and not the controller.

Ok, how are you connecting the tablet to the controller as the controller does not have any means of connection in it????

The video shows a USB cable?? Confused, would have been clearer had he not kinda implied the controller would work I guess...

Ok, how are you connecting the tablet to the controller as the controller does not have any means of connection in it????

The video shows a USB cable?? Confused, would have been clearer had he not kinda implied the controller would work I guess...
The Phantom 3 Advanced and Professional connect to your device via USB cable. The Phantom 3 Standard connects via Wi-Fi.

Regardless of which Phantom 3 you own, the key to using the goggles has nothing to do with the controller and everything to do with the tablet. He has the NVIDIA K1 Shield which will accommodate the goggles via a dedicated HDMI output.

The Phantom 3 Advanced and Professional connect to your device via USB cable. The Phantom 3 Standard connects via Wi-Fi.

Regardless of which Phantom 3 you own, the key to using the goggles has nothing to do with the controller and everything to do with the tablet. He has the NVIDIA K1 Shield which will accommodate the goggles via a dedicated HDMI output.

Thanks, I was thinking the same thing. It’s just the controller and he said it would work that threw a curve

I use litchi and my Google Daydream VR, works great. You can control the up and down on the gimbal with head movement but for side to side you have to use the stick.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4