Phantom 3 standard 4.18 Miles! Update! Now 6.08 miles

only thing I can figure is i powered the amp up before I had the antenna connected. my remote is a mess, 3 amps, 2 battery packs, and the antennae hanging off it

Yeah - you can't be doin' that. Easy mistake to make though. Lots of stuff to think about.

Nice run.

Impressive distance. Maybe it's just me but why would you spend all that money on a Standard? Why not buy a Pro with LB instead?

Impressive distance. Maybe it's just me but why would you spend all that money on a Standard? Why not buy a Pro with LB instead?
Well the P3 Standard was a gift. It be bad taste to sell it. So I'm having fun seeing what I can do with it. It's only money right?
The way I see it now is even if I had a pro I'd be getting the same distance.

Reactions: TylerBees08
That's amazing! My p3s with DBS mod has got me out to 9500. At which point I lost signal as I was turning around to come home. I was concerned because it stayed disconnected for 11 minutes until I regained signal with it at about 3500 feet on its way back. The rth speed is so slow. I'm not sure why I was unable to reconnect for such a long time. Obviously had me worried. Any ideas about that? So on your setup you have 2 2.4 amps and one 5.8? Do you need 2 2.4 amps or can you use one? And if you use one do you just boost a single line (port 2 or 3 on dbs antenna) and the other line straight from the controller to the antenna like it is now? Sorry for all the questions but your success is amazing and I love picking the minds of people that know stuff.

One 2.4 and one 5.8 is fine
It doesn't matter which 2.4 port you use.

Just FYI
I got over 15000 with just the DBS panel before I got a return to home
When I flew the 6.08 miles I never lost signal and had almost full signal the whole time. I would not have turned around at 6 miles but I am running out of battery
LOCATION IS EVERYTHING.
I flew 6 miles this morning with no degradation of signal, full signal at 6 miles!
I flew just over a mile this afternoon at a different location with the same setup and had a return to home.

I bet you will double your distance at the location you got 9500 feet if you run amps

That's amazing! My p3s with DBS mod has got me out to 9500. At which point I lost signal as I was turning around to come home. I was concerned because it stayed disconnected for 11 minutes until I regained signal with it at about 3500 feet on its way back. The rth speed is so slow. I'm not sure why I was unable to reconnect for such a long time. Obviously had me worried. Any ideas about that? So on your setup you have 2 2.4 amps and one 5.8? Do you need 2 2.4 amps or can you use one? And if you use one do you just boost a single line (port 2 or 3 on dbs antenna) and the other line straight from the controller to the antenna like it is now? Sorry for all the questions but your success is amazing and I love picking the minds of people that know stuff.
Scary Mecjacob! I have learned that if I lose FPV (disconnect) that the craft is actually still receiving RC control (I assume this because RC is usually FULL strength but the video signal degrades first). Yours may be different, but it could be that you have it set to HOVER instead of RTH so you may want to check that. Either that, or if you didn't touch the sticks at all for 11 minutes, it would just hang there too. Turning OFF your RC for 5-10 seconds would trigger RTH too.

I force the RTH manually after disconnect by toggling the S2 (upper left switch) and start hearing the beeping noise-that's how I know RTH got triggered. At some point on the way back, I'll get video back.

Hm...just wondering if adding JUST one 2.4GHZ amp to help with my early loss of FPV would be helpful since my RC seems to be a bit stronger?

Hm...just wondering if adding JUST one 2.4GHZ amp to help with my early loss of FPV would be helpful since my RC seems to be a bit stronger?
That's what I'd do. You will need a battery pack also. Luckily the battery pack has two outlets so if you decide to add a 5.8 amp you'll already have power.

Reactions: TheTanger
I have to admit that I'm flipped out a bit about the modified range. I have yet to get a 1000 meters out of mine and didn't really want to spend the money on an upgraded antennae. I would be satisfied with 3/4 of a mile; any suggestions on how I can achieve that distance on my p3s without breaking my budget?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Cheapest way to do that is LOCATION

Get on a high point
Maintain line of sight
Remote as possible
No interference

Reactions: Jimmymac
Scary Mecjacob! I have learned that if I lose FPV (disconnect) that the craft is actually still receiving RC control (I assume this because RC is usually FULL strength but the video signal degrades first). Yours may be different, but it could be that you have it set to HOVER instead of RTH so you may want to check that. Either that, or if you didn't touch the sticks at all for 11 minutes, it would just hang there too. Turning OFF your RC for 5-10 seconds would trigger RTH too.

I force the RTH manually after disconnect by toggling the S2 (upper left switch) and start hearing the beeping noise-that's how I know RTH got triggered. At some point on the way back, I'll get video back.
Ya, it is set to rth not hover. By the time I got signal back it had already come halfway back but it was just going really slow. Maybe if i held right stick forward during rth it would speed up. I had actually manually activated it just because video was getting choppy but as soon as I activated it I lost signal. And strangely, when I got it back finally its location wasn't updating on my map and I had no telemetry readings. Maybe I had a software glitch I was dealing with too. I like your guys idea about just boosting a single 2.4. FPV seems to be the weak link and that would be relatively simple too. And im not looking for too crazy of range. Thanks for the input\ideas!

Reactions: TheTanger
I have to admit that I'm flipped out a bit about the modified range. I have yet to get a 1000 meters out of mine and didn't really want to spend the money on an upgraded antennae. I would be satisfied with 3/4 of a mile; any suggestions on how I can achieve that distance on my p3s without breaking my budget?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I recently made a similar post asking for suggestions, as I couldn't get past 6000' at the best, more often closer to 4k. I started trying to setup to maintain better line of sight, even though I thought what I was doing before was adequate. I also use a windsurfer on my antennas. Yesterday at a location with great line of sight I went 3 miles with my P3A, still had full video feed and was only at 250' altitude. I could have gone further, but wasn't totally sure about battery life for the return flight.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic