Phantom 3 Pro Review

Reaction score
I've had my Phantom 3 Pro for a little over 2 weeks now and have flown it quite a bit. Out of the box it requires some firmware updates. For the UAV you can update by plugging directly in using the micro USB cable that comes in the box. However in order to update the controller's firmware you have to have a micro SD card reader, which I did not have. Luckily I live pretty close to a grocery store with an electronics section so I was able to run out and pick one up for about $15. After I finished the update process I was ready to fly.

The Phantom 3 Pro handles wonderfully, this is my first DJI but I have other multi-copters and the P3P is the most effortless to fly. The parameters are set to limit you at just under the 400 foot UAV cap in US airspace, 390 and change. I took it on its first max distance flight test yesterday and it got out to just over 3300 feet before it lost signal and returned to its home point safely, it landed itself within 5 feet of its take off point - pretty impressive. The 720p live video feed started getting choppy at about 2500 feet. I'm very happy with its capabilities. Don't make the same mistake I made, though - not thinking, I pressed the return to home button while I was under some trees. The return to home function is preset to go up to 100 feet before it comes back so it will clear any obstacles. That doesn't work so well when you have obstacles above you. I ended up bending my gimbal which is a $700 fix from what I've heard. Luckily I was able to fix it, I just have to auto calibrate the gimbal at every start up.

The 4k camera is amazing even at night. The widened aperture really helps with night stills, unfortunately I haven't been able to produce night time or low light video that’s not grainy. Obviously the cloudy shots turn out the best, when there is just a little too much sun the film and video turn out over exposed and washed out. It took me a minute to figure out you don't have to use the tablet to control the ISO and shutter speed. The wheel on the top left of the controller lets you control both. Just press it in to toggle from ISO to shutter speed and back. This comes in handy when flying from outdoors to indoors and vice versa.

Over all I've been thoroughly enjoying my Phantom 3 Pro and producing some awesome photos and videos. I want to thank Stephen McKenna over at drone-world.com for getting it out to me so quick. I know people who are still on the waiting lists from DJI and Amazon meanwhile I'm having all the fun - thanks again man! Check out some of the pics I've been able to capture below. Fly safe.

Attachments

• DJI_0024.jpg
    DJI_0024.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 492
  • DJI_0026.jpg
    DJI_0026.jpg
    717.5 KB · Views: 493
  • DJI_0004.jpg
    DJI_0004.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 500
Reactions: NickCopter
I've had my Phantom 3 Pro for a little over 2 weeks now and have flown it quite a bit. Out of the box it requires some firmware updates. For the UAV you can update by plugging directly in using the micro USB cable that comes in the box. However in order to update the controller's firmware you have to have a micro SD card reader, which I did not have. Luckily I live pretty close to a grocery store with an electronics section so I was able to run out and pick one up for about $15. After I finished the update process I was ready to fly.

The Phantom 3 Pro handles wonderfully, this is my first DJI but I have other multi-copters and the P3P is the most effortless to fly. The parameters are set to limit you at just under the 400 foot UAV cap in US airspace, 390 and change. I took it on its first max distance flight test yesterday and it got out to just over 3300 feet before it lost signal and returned to its home point safely, it landed itself within 5 feet of its take off point - pretty impressive. The 720p live video feed started getting choppy at about 2500 feet. I'm very happy with its capabilities. Don't make the same mistake I made, though - not thinking, I pressed the return to home button while I was under some trees. The return to home function is preset to go up to 100 feet before it comes back so it will clear any obstacles. That doesn't work so well when you have obstacles above you. I ended up bending my gimbal which is a $700 fix from what I've heard. Luckily I was able to fix it, I just have to auto calibrate the gimbal at every start up.

The 4k camera is amazing even at night. The widened aperture really helps with night stills, unfortunately I haven't been able to produce night time or low light video that’s not grainy. Obviously the cloudy shots turn out the best, when there is just a little too much sun the film and video turn out over exposed and washed out. It took me a minute to figure out you don't have to use the tablet to control the ISO and shutter speed. The wheel on the top left of the controller lets you control both. Just press it in to toggle from ISO to shutter speed and back. This comes in handy when flying from outdoors to indoors and vice versa.

Over all I've been thoroughly enjoying my Phantom 3 Pro and producing some awesome photos and videos. I want to thank Stephen McKenna over at drone-world.com for getting it out to me so quick. I know people who are still on the waiting lists from DJI and Amazon meanwhile I'm having all the fun - thanks again man! Check out some of the pics I've been able to capture below. Fly safe.
what was your ISO setting for the night shot. Did you do post on that ?

what was your ISO setting for the night shot. Did you do post on that ?

I played around with it for a bit and couldn't get great night time video. I turned the ISO all the way down to 100 and cranked the shutter speed way up and it still turned out a bit grainy, no where near the quality of the night time stills. If anyone knows a good balance for night or low light video for this camera please let me know.

Had the same question. That night shot is remarkable!

Oh, my bad. I thought you were asking about my ISO settings while trying to take night video.

For that night still I took I was just using the Auto White Balance. It works great at night for stills, but thats the only time I've had any use for it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4