Phantom 3 malfunction and crash (flight record video)

I'm thinking maybe this has got something to do with the craft loosing GPS lock and going into P ATTI mode, all though from what i can see there were no stick rotation inputs made to make the craft start spinning after or just before it lost GPS. There are a few reports coming in from others tho about loosing GPS lock, and it has happened to me. I had 16 locked in and then bam gone. Could be one school of thought to the crash maybe.

You dont lose gps, you lose the compass. The inspire has the same kind of failsafe. If compass starts receiving bad data the craft with switch to atti mode. This would not cause the craft to spin out of control.

You dont lose gps,

You can surely lose GPS and this is the reason GPS is stil not used in precission approaches in aviation worldwide.
Here is an interesting page where you can check if there there is expected a GPS lack of coverage or service disruption in a given area at a given time.
I guess this could be useful and worth checking when planning to make a "risky" FPV flight out of visual range relying on GPS

http://www.gps.gov/support/user/

With this I do not mean at all this may hab¡ve been the cause of this accident but just that lose of GPS signal can happen.

You dont lose gps, you lose the compass. The inspire has the same kind of failsafe. If compass starts receiving bad data the craft with switch to atti mode. This would not cause the craft to spin out of control.

This explains the compass theory that someone pointed out in another thread, glad you have clarified on this it makes a lot sense now with what happened to me. No i didn't think it would have caused the craft to spin in this crash tho. I only mentioned it because its the only thing strange i could see from the flight record. Maybe it was the fast spin that lost the compass and caused it to flick to P ATTI.

This explains the compass theory that someone pointed out in another thread, glad you have clarified on this it makes a lot sense now with what happened to me. No i didn't think it would have caused the craft to spin in this crash tho. I only mentioned it because its the only thing strange i could see from the flight record. Maybe it was the fast spin that lost the compass and caused it to flick to P ATTI.
The GPS was fine UNTIL the spin started. Watch closely, that's when it starts switching back and forth. It was also rocking so violently I'm amazed any GPS could connect with it...

Looking at the jello footage from right before while it's hovering is really telling. I think something with the quad was getting progressively worse. You shouldn't have jello at a hover.

Reactions: pjw2565
I've seen on the video of the wreck, that a part of one prop is missing. Did it happend on impact, have you found the missing piece?

It broke on impact, and no it was in a neighbors yard with very angry dogs. They handed me the helicopter and I called it a day. Didn't notice the prop was broken until awhile later...

The GPS was fine UNTIL the spin started. Watch closely, that's when it starts switching back and forth. It was also rocking so violently I'm amazed any GPS could connect with it...

Looking at the jello footage from right before while it's hovering is really telling. I think something with the quad was getting progressively worse. You shouldn't have jello at a hover.

No i agree, i think it will have lost compass after the spin started which caused it to go into P ATTI. The jello i watched while hovering is very strange and not something i have seen before.

You can surely lose GPS and this is the reason GPS is stil not used in precission approaches in aviation worldwide.
Here is an interesting page where you can check if there there is expected a GPS lack of coverage or service disruption in a given area at a given time.
I guess this could be useful and worth checking when planning to make a "risky" FPV flight out of visual range relying on GPS

http://www.gps.gov/support/user/

With this I do not mean at all this may hab¡ve been the cause of this accident but just that lose of GPS signal can happen.
Two different subjects man.. He was talking about compass degradation. Fully aware that you can lose SATs, but this wasn't his point.

I agree the jello is not normal and a sign of high vibration getting to the gimbal.

[QUOTE="Looking at the jello footage from right before while it's hovering is really telling. I think something with the quad was getting progressively worse. You shouldn't have jello at a hover.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for posting that video with the jello in it, Adam. This is really interesting and I think helps a bit. If you watch the jello it cycles very slowly over a few seconds. It's really bad then a few seconds later it's almost gone, then really bad again in a cycle. I've heard others comment and it makes sense to me that this type of jello is from vibrations in the craft, not from a gimbal problem.

This may be way off, but I have to wonder if the propeller was starting to wear out and after one of your last intentional movements simply cracked causing very abnormal lift from that motor and loss of control. I'm sure there are a bunch of reasons this is not right, but it is a question that came up in my mind.

Like I said yesterday, the it's really helpful to the rest of us to try to understand what happened to you so we can learn from it. So for me one lesson from your experience is that if you start getting new jello that you haven't had before, you need land ASAP and check out the props and motors very carefully.

Thanks again for sharing and keep us posted!

Chris

I have already returned one P3 due to jello. I was told it was a defective motor bearing. Maybe you had the same and it failed.
My new P3 has no jello at all.

blade strike- your inferred association with DJI support- is that factual and with the approval and authority of DJI?

Yes Blade is a member of the DJI support and testing team based in the US, He covers a few of the forums, Here, RCG and DJI own forum.

he also does a LOT of testing

CloudsNeverDie, Can you read the FLY***.DAT files?

Yes - I'm probably the only person in the world outside DJI who can right now, but I have figured out how to decrypt them. I don't know what all the fields mean yet, but I can see the raw flight controller data stream and a bunch of (mostly not very interesting) textual log messages.

If someone can explain what the hell just happened, I'd be awfully appreciative.

Trying to troubleshoot the "jello" issue, I had my P3P in the air floating around 90 feet while changing settings. I go to bring it a little closer and it goes absolutely crazy. With nothing around it, it spins, rocks from side to side and as you can see from the video below, crashes. It's completely totaled (gimbal broken, shell busted, ripped apart). Thankfully no one was hurt! My neighbors were scared, but really just felt bad for me. They saw it just go crazy.

Thankfully there's flight records so I can prove it went completely crazy with ZERO input from me... however does that matter? Is this considered user error? I'm just out?

Stunned.

Sucks, but like everything that fly's failures can happen. You need to get over it, DJI is not going to give you another

Last edited:
It broke on impact, and no it was in a neighbors yard with very angry dogs. They handed me the helicopter and I called it a day. Didn't notice the prop was broken until awhile later...

Sorry am I missing a video, where have you seen the missing propeller? Have you posted a video of the crash adam? Gosh this thread is massive I may have missed it...

Have you recovered The sd card or The saved flight on iPad, if you go in to director you can see the footage

I did not hit a bird, but I guess I can't prove that I didn't hit a bird so DJI will pretend this never happened and I'm just out $1250.

You can come close to proof. I looked at the video - if a bird was involved - you'd see evidence of it on the P3 remains.
Thank you for giving them that, everyone. Meanwhile, there's a very serious issue with this craft that is either a motor issue or a firmware issue that cause it to spin violently out of control and crash with absolutely no user-error.

This is an unintended consequence of forums. You try to do the right thing an notify users of a problem that may affect them, and show the result of it, and without thinking about what they're doing, the members begin the "what if" speculation that absolutely does not help the OP in the least.

For all the good you do.......:(

The purpose of the forum is to help others.
If you can't help them - at least try not to hurt them.o_O

Thanks for posting that video with the jello in it, Adam. This is really interesting and I think helps a bit. If you watch the jello it cycles very slowly over a few seconds. It's really bad then a few seconds later it's almost gone, then really bad again in a cycle. I've heard others comment and it makes sense to me that this type of jello is from vibrations in the craft, not from a gimbal problem.

This may be way off, but I have to wonder if the propeller was starting to wear out and after one of your last intentional movements simply cracked causing very abnormal lift from that motor and loss of control. I'm sure there are a bunch of reasons this is not right, but it is a question that came up in my mind.

Like I said yesterday, the it's really helpful to the rest of us to try to understand what happened to you so we can learn from it. So for me one lesson from your experience is that if you start getting new jello that you haven't had before, you need land ASAP and check out the props and motors very carefully.

Thanks again for sharing and keep us posted!

Chris

Chris, the first thing I did yesterday morning when testing the "jello" was to replace the props with the extra set DJI provides to rule that out. So we can rule a faulty prop out. Also, considering the less than 4 minutes of time these props had in the air, there's no way one would completely split in half. Clearly the impact is what caused that...

I have already returned one P3 due to jello. I was told it was a defective motor bearing. Maybe you had the same and it failed.
My new P3 has no jello at all.

BOOM. I think we're getting closer to the issue now. You can check my previous posts that within a couple days I wrote about the "jello" issue that I thought I may have solved by going from mp4 to mov. It was fine the first 5 flights, then I noticed it on a few, and it since got progressively worse. All the way to this video which I took on the day of the crash:

That is a sign of something pretty clearly off. That's after compass calibrations and IMU calibrations trying to solve it. Defective motor bearing makes a lot of sense which means:

IF YOU EXPERIENCE ANY OF THIS JELLO - CONTACT your retailer or DJI IMMEDIATELY. It continues to get worse, and it seems like it will eventually fail all together.

Sucks, but like everything that fly's failures can happen. You need to get over it, DJI is not going to give

Yes they are. I'm not going to make idle threats on a message board but as I said previously, this is a far bigger issue than my $1250. If they have faulty units that can be diagnosed by the jello effect BEFORE people put their bird up at 300 feet and it kills someone? They'd be wise to address that and not ignore me, my video proof and flight logs.

And for those who didn't see the aftermath video 'cause it's hidden within all these pages here ya go:

And a huge thank you to those on this board sincerely trying to help. You've actually really put my mind at ease about the possible issues AND that DJI is aware of issues causing an imbalance. Thankfully I have video of it progressively getting worse to the point that in the final video it's showing the issue with ZERO stick movements. Just during a hover.

Please, if anyone out there is having jello issues even during intense movements (don't listen to people on this board that say you should never do movements at 100% in the sky - that isn't remotely true - just don't do that near the ground) contact your retailer immediately. It is a sign that something is up and in another 5-10 flights it will continue to get worse.[/QUOTE]

Sorry am I missing a video, where have you seen the missing propeller? Have you posted a video of the crash adam? Gosh this thread is massive I may have missed it...

Have you recovered The sd card or The saved flight on iPad, if you go in to director you can see the footage

There is no video of the crash as I turned off the video to make some changes to the camera to try and deal with the jello issue. Unfortunately the video cache does NOT save video unless you have hit record. Again, not like it would've helped us - the flight log is far more helpful. The video simply would've shown it go into a spin and then be completely worthless.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing