Phantom 3 battery storage

Reaction score
Due to some family stuff going on I won’t be flying for months. My batteries are at half charge. Should I charge them and let them discharge a few times or let them stay at storage charge. You guys are the experts. Thanks in advance

Due to some family stuff going on I won’t be flying for months. My batteries are at half charge. Should I charge them and let them discharge a few times or let them stay at storage charge. You guys are the experts. Thanks in advance
I have several and as such, don't use all of them all of the time. That said, I don't leave any of them sitting for more than 2 months. I routinely check to make sure I have a least 2 lights going. If I see less than 2, I'll plug in to the charger until the 3rd light starts blinking, then put it back in the rack.

To be safe, I also place these guys in a foam rack and store them in a metal tool box.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I keep mine in a Lipo safe bag. I’ll check mine tomorrow. Thanks again

As per Larbear 360 ....

I would add though ............ charge them up fully now ... then put away safely to self discharge ....

Try to regularly check them every few weeks ...

Reactions: 3rdof5
It has been advised best to store the batteries when the green lights are showing flashing on the 3rd light, if you are planning to store them for long term.
I made the mistake of not paying attention to one of my batteries when it was down to only 1 green light, left it sitting there for a few months. When I checked on it later, the battery case was swollen and cracking, had to throw the battery away.

Reactions: sdileon
Realizing this is an old thread, being a newbie just wondering.
P3A, 3 batteries. At the end on the flight, is it better to recharge the batteries before packing them up, knowing it may a couple of weeks before I have the opportunity to fly again. Or leave them in the discharged state, to charge them back up before the flight (say the night prior when I know I'll be flying).
Thanks in advance for your reply.

Realizing this is an old thread, being a newbie just wondering.
P3A, 3 batteries. At the end on the flight, is it better to recharge the batteries before packing them up, knowing it may a couple of weeks before I have the opportunity to fly again. Or leave them in the discharged state, to charge them back up before the flight (say the night prior when I know I'll be flying).
Thanks in advance for your reply.
No need to re-charge right away. They will only start discharging on their own based on how you have them set-up to do so. I always wait until a day or so before I know I'm going out before I charge them up.

I would say this depends on when you’re next going to fly. To start, I always wait half a day before recharging just to ensure the batteries have completely cooled. If it’s going to be weeks until a next flight, I would charge them back up to the 50-75% range (when the third light is flashing) to store them at their optimal levels. They should not be kept at low or discharged levels for extended periods of time.

What about brand new batteries still in the box? Is it ok to keep them in the box or should I take them out and charge them so they can discharge?

Considering that genuine DJI Phantom 3 batteries are no longer produced (I think, but somebody correct me if I’m wrong), if they’re new-in-box they likely have zero charge left in them. Because of that, I would open and charge them up.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan