Phantom 3 Battery Firmware update Clarification

T

TYCORP

According to the upgrade instructions.

"Updating Intelligent Flight Battery Firmware

The Intelligent Flight Battery is upgraded during the aircraft firmware upgrade process. It is recommended to keep the upgrade

package files in your SD card. The upgrade will start automatically after power cycling the aircraft."

I updated the Aircraft Firmware with battery #1.
do I assume Battery #1 was also upgraded.
what about battery #2,#3,#4?

Leaving the Firmware on the SD card root and powering on the phantom with batteries 2-4 will upgrade the batteries automatically or????
(I've done so an there are not visual\audio alerts to tell you a upgrade has happened)

Any clarification would be helpful.

TY

No firmware for the batteries has been released yet.

Reactions: Julius717
From what I've read on the forums you leave the .bin file on the root of the SD card, and fly with you other batteries installed. They will be updated while you're flying. I haven't tested this theory personally, but I've read it a lot here.

So - I decided to test the theory. I put a battery that needed a firmware update in my Phantom, then put the .bin file on the SD card and put it back into the bird. I went through the usual startup checklist - you can hear the SD card reading - left it running for about ten minutes then powered everything down. I took the SD card out and went through a normal startup - the firmware message on the DJI app was gone. Hope that helps.

So - I decided to test the theory. I put a battery that needed a firmware update in my Phantom, then put the .bin file on the SD card and put it back into the bird. I went through the usual startup checklist - you can hear the SD card reading - left it running for about ten minutes then powered everything down. I took the SD card out and went through a normal startup - the firmware message on the DJI app was gone. Hope that helps.

You have to do the same procedure as with updating the P3 itself:
Power up the P3 while NOT having powered on the remote- (or flight-) controller. If the controller is on, the P3 will abort firmware intallation because updating firmware while flying would not be a good idea...
If the battery has an older firmware you will start hearing the four short beeps repeatedly until it finishes updating (only a minute or two) and changes to repeatedly a short and a long beep. Cycle the power on the bird and you're ready to go, or do the same for another battery.

That's a better way of doing it - thanks for the tips. Mine worked but I definitely get your caution.

That's a better way of doing it - thanks for the tips. Mine worked but I definitely get your caution.

Thanks Steve,

I just did this myself today with 3 batteries after having powered on the P3 with the controller off.
This is something I would would have done with any traditional RC helicopter setup, but knowing the P3 will never fly off with a definite signal from the controller, I just did (should not do this by default from now on since I'm returning to flying heli's...).
The reaction from the P3 with its beeping just immediately explained to me and let me realize the actual simplicity of when the P3 would accept an update. Unfortunately DJI could have explained this in more detail in their manual. Also, I got a message in the pilot app telling me that a firmware update was nescessary. No...., only for the battery. Why not add a few ascii characters to the message to tell this?

Anyway, after having read some threads about people not knowing for sure if the battery would get updated and what procedure would take care of this, I read this thread, decided to signed up to comment and there you go.

Reactions: Steve Shead
Power up the P3 while NOT having powered on the remote- (or flight-) controller. If the controller is on, the P3 will abort firmware intallation because updating firmware while flying would not be a good idea...
If the battery has an older firmware you will start hearing the four short beeps repeatedly until it finishes updating (only a minute or two) and changes to repeatedly a short and a long beep. Cycle the power on the bird and you're ready to go, or do the same for another battery.

Just a slight bit of info. When I just did my two new batteries, having the controller on had no affect.

Hi guys. I'm new here.
I updated the firmware ( 02 brand new batteries) as you mencioned but the message on the screen of my controller still shows "Firmware require update / Battery require update ".

What should i do now ?

thanks for helping me

Hi guys. I'm new here.
I updated the firmware ( 02 brand new batteries) as you mencioned but the message on the screen of my controller still shows "Firmware require update / Battery require update ".

What should i do now ?

thanks for helping me

Did you ever find a solution for this? I'm having the same problem

Reactions: Brad Barcus
Did you ever find a solution for this? I'm having the same problem

Hi there,

I just updated my drone. I have 2 batteries, when I inserted the 2nd battery it told me battery require update as well.

I copied the firmware (the .bin file) in the sdcard and turned on the aircraft with the other battery.
It did the upgrade again and finally it worked. So it seems you need to do the same procedure for every battery. Just leave the bin file in the sd card and turn it on, the drone will do the upgrade automatically. cheers

I just put new battery in and wait about ten minutes, gimbal light just blink red!? I turn of the bird and tested dji go app, it shown new firmware update 1.680.. I have that firmware allready . App and battery is working now but im still confused is the battery working fine?

I have a P3S on firmware 1.5.7. I don't want to upgrade to 1.6.8.
If I get a new battery, assuming it asks me to update the firmware, can I force it to update to 1.5.7 by just placing the .bin file for 1.5.7 on the sdcard ? Thanks.

Reactions: RSV_Ecosse
I have a P3S on firmware 1.5.7. I don't want to upgrade to 1.6.8.
If I get a new battery, assuming it asks me to update the firmware, can I force it to update to 1.5.7 by just placing the .bin file for 1.5.7 on the sdcard ? Thanks.

I'd like to know the answer to this too. Just received a new battery for my P3S and don't want to update to 1.6.8 as I'm also currently running 1.5.7. What is the procedure for that? Thanks!!

I'd like to know the answer to this too. Just received a new battery for my P3S and don't want to update to 1.6.8 as I'm also currently running 1.5.7. What is the procedure for that? Thanks!!

I have since upgraded to 1.6.8 by mistake (long story) had the same issues a lot of people had with range and downgraded back to 1.5.7. I have had no issues with batteries and I actually don't know what firmware the batteries have right now. So I'm thinking it really doesn't matter.

Wonder if it will affect the batteries from banggood, many say thy haven't had issues but we will see

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic