Phantom 3 and FLIR Tau-2 Camera Core

just get the zenmuse xt when it comes out, the inspire makes a great platform for thermographic and search & rescue work given you can carry a larger searchlight payload in addition to the thermal package

Reactions: cHris Rubeiz
The FLIR One and Seek Thermal would both be great if they could be adapted to the P3 system.
I have both, and the FLIR is much better than the SEEK. I purchased it with the thought of trying it out. I don't think the resolution is good enough to be a viable choice for placing on the drone although the size and weight is very nice.

Bob

Here is an example of how it can be done. I'm not endorsing this company just giving some ideas of how it can be done with the factory camera/gimbal.
Phantom 3 T03 Pro Kit With Thermal FLIR VUE Camera Ready-to-Fly

I was thinking along the lines of "airbornemedic" without the gimbal - however after following your link I am impressed with the Flir setup those guys have put together - thank you for the link BigA.

My only concern regardless of the setup to fly with a Flir camera is doing thermal imaging and the possible EMI from power line, substations and/or cell towers and how that might interfere with flying (compass etc.). The SNR (signal to noise ratio) between the controller and the Phantom has to have some degradation as a result of any magnetic field and perhaps an effect on flight control. I'm going to send those guys an email and find out if there is any kind of EM shielding they have done as a precaution for filming at those areas. Anyone have any idea or comments to add?

I do Vibration analysis for a living and some thermal imaging using a hand held Flir camera. I know when doing vibration work around transformers and high voltage I have picked up 60hz and 120hz frequencies via a vibration accelerometer just holding it in my hand and viewing the spectral plots "live time" on my vibration analyzer. So, there is definitely EMI to consider in those areas - I have shields for the accelerometer and velocity probes I use in order to remove or lessen the effect from any EMI whenever I have to.

firefighter/medic here. very interested in this idea. own a P3A, my fire chief would love to see this incorporated into the phantom...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1