Phantom 3 Advanced Lightbridge not the same as Pro

What about back to the gimbal itself. If they have different hardware for sending the live feed, it would be reasonable to think advance users could upgrade to the pro gimbal to achieve the higher bitrates?

So I had an p3 advanced and noticed the picture quality improving on live stream when I started to record video. This doesn't happen on my new professional - the quality is always better. Why would this be and is it related?

Reactions: skyhighdiver
After allot of hassle and research on this, it has come to light that there is another difference between the Pro and Advanced model besides the normally advertised charger rate and the camera resolution. It's been discovered by a few of use that purchased HDMI upgrade boards and Headplay HD googles. The lightbridge is stated as 720P 30fps live HD view in both product descriptions, but what is not shown is DJI has hobbled the transmission rate of the Advanced to 2mbps which results in massive areas of compression artifacts and blurry pixels on most surfaces and is most apparent outdoors looking at trees and grass.

Under the Video Downlink section on this page there was a change that I have not seen before when I compared products and picked the Advanced mainly to just fly FPV.

Compare the Phantom Series | DJI

The Pro lists 10mbps which would allow for a much higher quality signal in the same circumstances as an Advanced.

So, I feel DJI mis-represented the live HD view capabilities of the Advanced model and its just now coming to light as folks are getting HDMI boards and monitors to use with their Phantom 3.

SO DON'T BUY THE ADVANCED MODEL IF YOU WANT TO USE THE HDMI OUT AS IT LOOKS LIKE CRAP!
yes I think you right looks I I am flying the phantom 2 vision+v3.0

I think your right it looks like I am flying the phantom 2 vision + V 3.0 can't see going slow not to bad phantom 3 adv

I don't seem to have this issue on my P3A ... not sure why ... although my setup is

P3A (1.4.x firmware)
Inspire controller (running 1.4.x firmware)

We do live streaming at events and I've always got a very solid picture from the HDMI port ... so I don't think it's the cameras image processor?
Please can you tell me what your HDMI is connected to for the live streaming? I have tried Livestream Mini and it doesn't work very well!

I was researching that earlier today and found that both versions are in use with the P3A and the P3P, but all examples of P3P FPV looked better than P3A FPV. Could be too small of a sample size.

For me, my FPV quality changes as I switch from camera to video. It looks much better for me when switched to video, even when not recording. Either way is good enough for me however.

I can imagine that someone using goggles with the screen right in front of their eyes would need the highest quality.
Before assuming all of this is true someone should write a letter or an email to DJI and asked them to confirm this is accurate

So I had an p3 advanced and noticed the picture quality improving on live stream when I started to record video. This doesn't happen on my new professional - the quality is always better. Why would this be and is it related?
Why guess ask the manufacturer of the product to confirm. If it confirmed they DJI could have some legal troubles ahead

Before assuming all of this is true someone should write a letter or an email to DJI and asked them to confirm this is accurate
You do realize that they have already published the specs showing its true, right? Thats the topic of the thread. See the first post for more info.

Reactions: JoBe
You do realize that they have already published the specs showing its true, right? Thats the topic of the thread. See the first post for more info.

So why would the quality of the live stream improve when recording? I used to record all the time just so I could see better! (With the advanced). Does the bit rate just mean the pro can send more info at once via the lightbridge (compared to advanced) so better quality? And I still don't understand why the picture improves only when recording?

Well then buyer beware or
that is unfortunate

1. Caveat emptor is a Latin term that means "let the buyer beware." Similar to the phrase "sold as is," this term means that the buyer assumes the risk that a product may fail to meet expectations or have defects.
But they still could be on the hook legally for deceptive advertising since I have seen adds saying that they are the same except for the camera. It will get interesting. I enjoy their products but their marketing and tech support are awful

So why would the quality of the live stream improve when recording? I used to record all the time just so I could see better! (With the advanced). Does the bit rate just mean the pro can send more info at once via the lightbridge (compared to advanced) so better quality? And I still don't understand why the picture improves only when recording?
My post earlier in the thread about a sharper image when in video mode didn't catch on, so I can't help you there. Still, even when at it's best the P3A only streams 2Mbps versus 10Mbps for the P3P. At least according to DJI's published specs. I haven't measured it. I suppose that the P3A is at its best when in video mode and that when in still mode it's less than 2Mbps. I'm just speculating however. As I wrote in that same post, it's good enough for me but I could see how someone using goggles would be very upset.

Yes it was fine when it was recording but difficult to make some things out if I wasn't. Just don't get why it doesn't run at its best all the time like the pro does - very strange!!

If you look at the DJI page referenced by the OP in the first message it clearly states there is a difference.
Max. Video Bitrate Phantom 3 Professional:10Mbps, Phantom 3 Advanced:2Mbps 2Mbps 500Kbps
I have a P3P but I never noticed that when comparing the different models when I purchased mine. I guess it pays to scroll all the way down and read closely. It could be that the fan on the P3P does more than just cool the camera data processor but the lightbridge system too.

However, maybe it wasn't there in the past and it was after one of the latest firmware updates like another poster said.

I am sure that DJI has always said that the only difference between the Pro and Adv. is the recording video resolution (4k on the pro) and the quicker charger.

The spec about the lower bit rate on the HD downlink video on the Adv. was added sometime later. But again, never mentioned by DJI. On dji.com, the first item on the FAQ still only states the camera difference. (Phantom 3 Professional & Advanced - FAQ | DJI)

Both the pro and the adv Lightbridge are capable of sending the same quality signal down to the RC/HDMI. BUT, the video processor on the Adv. is not capable of processing as high a bit rate in addition to the processing it is doing to record video/photos to the SD card. The processor on the Pro is capable of doing both.

If you put the Pro Camera/Gimbal on the Adv. then it will be a Pro at that point in all capability.

It really is that simple. No one noticed in the beginning. It became apparent when the HDMI modules began to be installed by Adv. users, and the results on larger monitors and the Headplays told the story. The video on both models is 720p, technically HD. But, because the feed on the advanced is limited to 2mbps, the video is far more compressed than the video on the Pro, and will exhibit a higher degree of compression artifacts.

It is what it is, and it is hardware related, not firmware. It is probably possible that the video card on the Adv. could send a higher bit rate downlink signal IF it wasn't recording at the same time. But, this would take some extra programming for the Adv. that is not needed by the Pro, so I would be surprised if DJI would go to the effort even if it is possible, which I do not know for sure.

I am sure that DJI has always said that the only difference between the Pro and Adv. is the recording video resolution (4k on the pro) and the quicker charger.

The spec about the lower bit rate on the HD downlink video on the Adv. was added sometime later. But again, never mentioned by DJI. On dji.com, the first item on the FAQ still only states the camera difference. (Phantom 3 Professional & Advanced - FAQ | DJI)

Both the pro and the adv Lightbridge are capable of sending the same quality signal down to the RC/HDMI. BUT, the video processor on the Adv. is not capable of processing as high a bit rate in addition to the processing it is doing to record video/photos to the SD card. The processor on the Pro is capable of doing both.

If you put the Pro Camera/Gimbal on the Adv. then it will be a Pro at that point in all capability.

It really is that simple. No one noticed in the beginning. It became apparent when the HDMI modules began to be installed by Adv. users, and the results on larger monitors and the Headplays told the story. The video on both models is 720p, technically HD. But, because the feed on the advanced is limited to 2mbps, the video is far more compressed than the video on the Pro, and will exhibit a higher degree of compression artifacts.

It is what it is, and it is hardware related, not firmware. It is probably possible that the video card on the Adv. could send a higher bit rate downlink signal IF it wasn't recording at the same time. But, this would take some extra programming for the Adv. that is not needed by the Pro, so I would be surprised if DJI would go to the effort even if it is possible, which I do not know for sure.

The thing about the logic above is that it contradicts what is actually happening. The live feed on the pro is improved quite considerably when it is recording or taking pics? If the video processor is struggling with its workload surely the quality of live feed should be worse not better when it's recording?

The thing about the logic above is that it contradicts what is actually happening. The live feed on the pro is improved quite considerably when it is recording or taking pics? If the video processor is struggling with its workload surely the quality of live feed should be worse not better when it's recording?

Your talking apples to oranges. (No disrespect intended)

Your question is why does the video feed get better when recording video vs. when recording stills.

It is a valid question, but really has nothing to do with the difference in the video feed between the Pro and Adv. models.

If I had to guess it would be because processing 2 video streams is easier for the processor than recording stills + processing 1 video stream.

Your talking apples to oranges. (No disrespect intended)

Your question is why does the video feed get better when recording video vs. when recording stills.

It is a valid question, but really has nothing to do with the difference in the video feed between the Pro and Adv. models.

....not so. I'm saying the live feed is higher quality when recording compared to not recording, on the advanced. On the pro the live feed does not change as in its the same quality if recording or not.

There is a point - does this occurrence happen because of the difference in bit rate between pro & adv or something else?

....not so. I'm saying the live feed is higher quality when recording compared to not recording, on the advanced. On the pro the live feed does not change as in its the same quality if recording or not.

There is a point - does this occurrence happen because of the difference in bit rate between pro & adv or something else?

As I said, I can only guess that the processor on the Advanced is not capable of the same multitasking that the processor on the Pro is capable of.

I thought that I had read that the same degradation occurred at a lessor extent on the Pro when in Still mode vs. video mode. Perhaps I am mistaken.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr