Phantom 3 advanced camera hack

Reaction score
Apparently the camera sensor of the P3 Advanced and the P3 Pro are the same and there is only a software limitation of the camera capabilities, can anyone here confirm that? If that is the case is it possible to hack the camera and make it 4k?
thanks

Its not the same, even if it was the 4k has a fan on top of the gimbal to keep it cool and the advanced does not so it would just over heat anyway.

It is most unlikely that the hardware is the same. The 4K video at 30fps needs twice the processing power compared to 60 fps 1080 and that means using high end processors and there would be some saving in using a lesser processor in the advanced. The advanced camera does benefit from having a high quality lens and sensor so the quality at 1080 is very high. Comparing a paused frame from a video with a still photograph shows very little difference.

What a camera needs to record in 4k over non-4k:
- 4k/12MPx sensor
- Fast CPU(s)
- Large enough RAM
- Fast enough SD Card Controller
- Good enough cooling

Both Pro and Advanced use 12MPx sensor (even if manufacturer is different).
Both use Ambarella A9 chip to process video, so (assuming it's the same exact model) CPU power is the same, and SD Card controller is likely part of A9 SoC - same too.

But there may be differences in RAM amount, and there are differences in cooling.

It is possible to enable 4k in the Ambarella Firmware, using Phantom Firmware Tools to extract it and then pack it back to one bin file. But I'm not sure if the video would work completely as intended.

the camera and sensor is identical. Its the gimbal board that is different. If it makes you feel better, just get some gold stickers =)

Your answer pushed me to check that. You are wrong about the camera.

P3P uses Sony EXMOR sensor, while P3A contains a cheaper equivalent by Panasonic.

For the camera/gimbal board, the Pro model seem to have separate video compressor SoC - the DM365 chip. Noticed it here:
New P3P new cooling fan on 4K camera

The DM365 is not powerful enough for 4k, but it can compress the live video feed (FPV). This takes some load out of Ambarella SoC, and allows it to focus on compressing stream for the SD card. This is why existence of this chip makes 4k possible.

Enabling 4k in firmware would make the Ambarella overloaded, so there would be frame drops on both recorded video and live feed. But still, possible to enable.

Hm, ok - my sources was the Internet. On the second search - I was wrong. Mako79 stated correctly that camera on both P3P and P3A is identical.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers