PHANTOM 3 ADVANCED/ 10FT. SELFIE STICK / 360 CAMERA

Reaction score
I was tasked with creating a search and rescue tool that can penetrate tree canopies. The goal, to create a drone prototype that will have a selfie stick with a 360 camera at the end.
kUb5tYZ.jpg

My first attempt, I learned the hard way about the pendulum effect and how dangerously unstable it can make the drone.
Over the weekend I was searching for a glide camera design to 3d print for another project when the brilliant idea hit me. I could 3d print a gyro between the drone and the selfie stick. I had a crashed Phantom adv. that was collecting dust, I removed the camera and proceeded to create what I feel is the perfect solution for a proof of concept design.

OekSnJT.jpg

oT7g56L.jpg

THIyFjh.jpg

The first tests area stability,start and stop, and limited altitude.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
The second tests are pre-programmed flight plans, fly to the desired coordinates, drop altitude to 15ft above ground, pause, raise to safe altitude, go to next location.
The third tests will be real environment simulations. The goal of this design is to look where conventional drones cannot, and to create a one-man search team for rugged terrains.

Using the Phantom was out of convenience and will not be the drone used in the field for the final professional use. The final version will have a retractable 50ft carbon fiber pole with a custom 360 camera.

I wanted to share with the group another use for the phantom. Instead of a 360 camera, a claw could be attached, test tube, etc.

Quite impressive I have to say but for what purpose? To view the ground through trees where the drone camera can't see?
Yes, this current POC is to view the ground where the drone cannot see under tree canopies and thick vegetation. It can also theoretically be used to conduct eye level 360 degree searches of areas.

I noticed you didn't include the take off and landing.
I only recorded the landing. It wasn't difficult to put it on, just raised to about 6 ft screwed it on, then extended it. Landing I was a little rough taking it off because I was doing it with one hand holding the controller. I rushed it, could have did it slower and more systematically.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: BigL
The final version will have be streamlined to counter against branches and have LED's for low light situations. The current camera is a 2017 Samsung gear 360, it is only for testing and is expendable. I chose it initially due to cost, availability, weight and design. I covered it during this first test
QmWbiEU.png

Reactions: Dan in Ohio
Interested in your carbon fiber pole.

I tried creating a roof sprayer using my Mavic Pro 3. Was lifting about 1- 3/4 lbs. no problem with that but the hose friction dragging over gutters was a deal breaker.
Wonder if I could hang the spray boom off a pole instead?
Thanks

Reactions: joshua adam howell
Interested in your carbon fiber pole.

I tried creating a roof sprayer using my Mavic Pro 3. Was lifting about 1- 3/4 lbs. no problem with that but the hose friction dragging over gutters was a deal breaker.
Wonder if I could hang the spray boom off a pole instead?
Thanks
If your planning on using a drone ? Or just to make a rig to be used from the ground?

No, use the drone. The hose friction and then steep roof angles was just too much for the drone to react to.
Maybe if I can keep the drone away from the roof, it might work. If not, fun to experiment and learn.

If your planning on using a drone ? Or just to make a rig to be used from the ground?
Use with the drone. My downfall in my experiment was the friction from the feed hose on the gutters and the closeness to the steep roof. Too much for the drone to compensate for. Maybe hanging the spray boom from a stable pole might work. Fun to experiment.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen