Phantom 2 may be the last "Free" DJI product

Reaction score
Seeing how DJI's products have been evolving, I think the Phantom 2 series (including Vision and Vision+) could be the last products released that do not have the mandatory Flight Area Restrictions (DJI's FlySafe) enabled.

As some of you are aware the Phantom 2 platform from firmware 2.x onwards have implemented, among other things:

- DJI's FlySafe flight restrictions around Class A and B airfields as well as certain political hotspots (e.g. Beijing's Tiananmen Square)

- Restrictions on maximum tilt angle that reduces maximum flight speeds. This does make the aircraft 'safer' and more predictable especially for inexperienced pilots.

- Restrictions on maximum descent rate to 0.8-2.0m/s. This is for safety as people were experiencing VRS. However I use the 9450 props, can perform a 4-6m/s decent without VRS.

I'm well aware that there are plenty of good reasons why restrictions are built into these consumer devices. But from my point of view, I would much prefer to have an unincumbered machine and accept all responsibility and liability on my personal conduct rather than a machine that is limited in the above fashion.

These restrictions were not implemented on the 1.08 firmware for the Phantom 2 Vision. This firmware was not an official release on the Vision+, but fortunately it does work on the Vision+ without any major drawbacks. This is something that I have been running on my two Vision+ units from Day 1. Of course with such an old firmware you don't have access to Ground Station and the new 7th channel control for tilt on the controller. But I would happily trade those for the original flight performance of the Phantom.

I'm also aware that all firmware upgrades on my Phantom require Internet connection to DJI, and so I'm very reluctant to change my firmware in the event that DJI decides to prevent me from going back to 1.08 (as the firmware itself is sourced from their servers).

I have also noted that on the new DJI Inspire 1, it too has the same fly zone restrictions (there is even mention in RCGroups of a maximum 400ft ceiling height, even outside of Class A and B aerodomes and In ATTI mode). On DJI's premier A2 flight controller, these flight restrictions are also implemented in the latest firmware.

I've heard they may be able to be disabled in the Assistant software, could someone confirm that?

For those of you who are lucky enough to own DJI's higher end products, can these restrictions be turned off?

Turn off GPS, fly manually and all these features go away.

Yes I realise that, but manual is not an option in certain circumstances (e.g. Stabilised camera work looking through FPV only). I fly in ATTI mode, so I use the barometer but no GPS position hold.

I'M sure you can remove anything they come with , but i know you're right . plus i see more registration type things in the future .

As far as I know the FlySafe restrictions (not Ground Station restrictions) are hard coded in the flight controller firmware. So it would require reverse-engineering and modifying the DJI firmware files to remove the restrictions, potentially a very high risk of bricking the product.

The DJI SDK don't allow any access to the flight controller's inner control logic, or removal of FlySafe zones.

SteveMann said:
Turn off GPS, fly manually and all these features go away.

I thought this or ATTI flight mode would override the flight restrictions, but no. Once your Naza figures out where you are, it doesn't matter which flight mode you are in as it makes your Phantom autoland or lower its altitude. Only way to avoid this with firmware with flight restrictions is to make sure that your Phantom wont receive GPS signal (blocking the gps signal somehow).

I honestly believe we are better off with the built in restrictions. Since Phantom 2's will be BIG around Christmas, think of all the total noobs flying who will be protected from themselves by having some reasonable restrictions built in! If you know enough and have the experience you can fly manually and if you don't have the experience and fly manually, you will quickly learn the term "fly away" LOL

I wouldn't worry too much about it, the moment the restrictions get too crazy, Phantoms, or any DJI product for that matter will get "jailbroken" :)

spudraleigh said:
I honestly believe we are better off with the built in restrictions. Since Phantom 2's will be BIG around Christmas, think of all the total noobs flying who will be protected from themselves by having some reasonable restrictions built in!
Have a look at DJI's no-fly zone mapping. It's minimal protection and only has some of the larger airports while many very busy airports are absent. Don't imagine it is comprehensive protection.

spudraleigh said:
If you know enough and have the experience you can fly manually and if you don't have the experience and fly manually, you will quickly learn the term "fly away" LOL
Have you tried to fly manually? Just about anyone trying to fly a Phantom in manual is going to develop a new understanding of the word crash quite quickly.

No fly zones were a smart move by DJI. Phantoms and airports shouldn't mix. The rest were for stability so you don't crash. Crashing is not a good consumer experience. With so many inexperienced people buying Phantoms, it only makes sense DJI would put in some safeguards.

Anyway, you really should learn manual. ATTI and GPS are really just nanny modes telling your quad what it can and cannot do. I don't need no steenkin' level flight!

ianwood said:
No fly zones were a smart move by DJI. Phantoms and airports shouldn't mix. The rest were for stability so you don't crash. Crashing is not a good consumer experience. With so many inexperienced people buying Phantoms, it only makes sense DJI would put in some safeguards.

Anyway, you really should learn manual. ATTI and GPS are really just nanny modes telling your quad what it can and cannot do. I don't need no steenkin' level flight!

I'm not sure I agree completely with this statement. Flying manual will give you experience flying drones but at the same time, it really depends on what you're trying to accomplish. number one thing in my book is safety. Flying manual is not always the best idea, and on top of that, having all the different control aids will only help.
To me in particular, it's irrelevant because I really don't want to be doing any flying at all in manual mode. Actually I don't even want to be holding the remote controller.
I much rather use the auto pilot and use ground station or any other flight planner software than flying the drone manually.
If I wanted to fly a drone manually, I'd simply buy a cheaper RC plane or something.
But that's just me :)

Re: Phantom 2 may be the last "Free" DJI product

Now that there is an SDK, I'm sure there will soon be "an app. For that." Perhaps a phantom "jailbreak." Where there's a will (and hacker) there's a way.

Its a good thing with those restrictions, many pilots don't understand the danger of this "machines" and what they can do of injury.
When the last idiot is born, then the restrictions can be removed, - not before ;)

BWJ said:
Its a good thing with those restrictions, many pilots don't understand the danger of this "machines" and what they can do of injury.
When the last idiot is born, then the restrictions can be removed, - not before ;)

Don't you think it's more like when the last idiot dies? ;) :lol:

Cheers!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav