Phantom 2 Gimbal Anti Drop Warning/ Failure

Reaction score
My Phantom 2 with Hero 3 gimbal had a failure with the anti drop screws on the gimbal. As the gimbal protrudes in front of the chassis of the bird, this completely exposes the front two anti drop screws. They were the only screws spare the props that came without loctite... The two front screws vibrated themselves loose during flight and the gimbal dropped. The rear two screws held and stopped it from being a complete catastrophe. Lost two screws, one rubber bushing and bent one of the anti drop "nuts" (I'm sure there's an official name for these).
Anyways... Some loctite is in order to solve this. Til I can find replacement anti drop screws have replaced the missing front units with cable ties which will suffice and are sufficiently light weight and act as a decent safety.

Other Phantom 2 pilots should check their anti drop gimbal fasteners and loctite lest ye fall fate to a similar mishap. Perhaps safety wire is in order?

Interesting you bring this up. Yesterday I noticed one of my anti-drop screws (as you call them) was loose. It hadn't come off completely but was very close. I tightened all four again but adding loctite sounds like a good idea.

I used small wire ties. I'm also using the zenmuse from my phantom 1. But it should work for you too. Not too tight and not too loose. You'll never have an accident.

I lost 2 Anti Drop bolts today. Definite oversight by DJI not to Loctite these, but a good reminder to check screws and bolts regularly.

I loctite very few things. Not sure if I would want to loctite the gimbal. If you need to remove it your going to have a hell of a time. The small zip ties sound like a good idea

Loctite 248 or similar is fine. It's for removable fixings, more of an anti rattle strategy.

Every screw / Bolt I've taken out of the Phantom 2 has had it factory applied - including the screws that attach the gimbal mount to the PH2, just not the Anti Drop Bolts.

I will admit there is something comforting about the visible safety of a zip tie (Which I'm also using! pending receipt of replacement Anti Drops)

Correct.... many flavors of loctite for different applications. You shouldn't be afraid of loctite. Just pick the right one (generally blue is removable - red permanent - they have a color chart online I'm sure)

Jimmy Jim said:
Picture of what?
I lost one and one of my employee's actually found in in our 100K s/f warehouse and brought it to me because he thought it might have come off the P2. It was something he had never seen before. I didn't even notice it missing. It was a back one so the other piece was still there. Loctite for the win.

I had the same problem. Now i know to do a pre-flight check.

Also does anyone know where i can buy more anti-drop screws?

I think zip ties are just as good and you know they aren't just going to fall off!

goldfishrock said:
I think zip ties are just as good and you know they aren't just going to fall off!

Doesn't the zip ties transmit the vibrations?

I've not seen any signs of that. They aren't tied in tightly.... Just left very loose.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl