Phantom 1 Not Booting

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have wanted to get into flying UAVs for a while now as I'm a professional photographer and some of my clients have started asking for footage.

Anyway, I figured since I already own a gopro 4, I would start to learn by getting an older Phantom to practice on and eventually spend the money on a new model. So I got a good used Phantom 1 and took it up a few times already, with great success. The seller suggested that I update the firmware as he hadn't flown it in a long time and that it might be a good idea. so I downloaded the NAZAM software and installed the latest firmware, which it seemed to take just fine.

So today I wen to take up the Phantom for a fight and it won't boot. I turn on the remote control, plug in the battery on the drone, and I get the startup chirps, the lights blink through the different colors, and then it just flashes red and nothing happens.

Obviously something is wrong. Any ideas on what I can do to fix this?

I wish people would stop updating if it's not broke don't fix it . No need to update if nothing is wrong GL!
Check out this vid

I'm not sure why you posted that as I already said I did the firmware update. Obviously they do updates for a reason, so I'm sorry if I disagree with you on your "if it aint broke..." logic. So that said, if you have any constructive ideas as to what may have happened, I'm all ears. Thanks!

Hello everyone. I have wanted to get into flying UAVs for a while now as I'm a professional photographer and some of my clients have started asking for footage.

Anyway, I figured since I already own a gopro 4, I would start to learn by getting an older Phantom to practice on and eventually spend the money on a new model. So I got a good used Phantom 1 and took it up a few times already, with great success. The seller suggested that I update the firmware as he hadn't flown it in a long time and that it might be a good idea. so I downloaded the NAZAM software and installed the latest firmware, which it seemed to take just fine.

So today I wen to take up the Phantom for a fight and it won't boot. I turn on the remote control, plug in the battery on the drone, and I get the startup chirps, the lights blink through the different colors, and then it just flashes red and nothing happens.

Obviously something is wrong. Any ideas on what I can do to fix this?

Red blinking lights can indicate several problems....

First and foremost, you need to become familiar with the pre-flight steps that you must go through before every launch.

Here's a link to the Quick Start Manual (from the DJI website) for the P1 that covers what you need to know before flying. The manual shows what each blinking light sequence means and if the sequence indicates a problem, what the problem is.

http://download.dji-innovations.com/downloads/phantom/en/PHANTOM_Quick_Start_Manual_v1.7_en.pdf

What you describe (only red blinking lights) can indicate several different problems.

If after reading the manual, you still can't verify what the problem is, get back to me and I'll try to help you.

P.S. A word of advice.... study the manual thoroughly....if you don't, you're risking losing control of your P1. It's a slow process .... you'll need to invest some time.

Well your bird is not flying nothing changed on the update we see this a lot do a search see how many times this happens so yea I do not agree . Did you do all the steps in the vid ? Calibrate everything ? Reload to stock parameters ? Updating the older birds is a process and if you don't do the exact steps in that vid your going to have problems . This thing is not a PC or phone all you do is update all is good .

Sorry to hear about your issues with the Phantom. No need to talk about why you shouldn't do an update since it's already done. The update should not in and of itself cause a problem as this is a very old update and has been tried and tested by not only DJI but many others. The problem now is going forward.

But once you update, parameters that were previously set can change and throw things off.

A steady blinking red light indicates a power supply issue or "other" errors. I suspect in your case, "other issue" is at play and it means you need to fully recalibrate the IMU.

I would do a full IMU recalibration. It's not difficult at all. But most of the time you have to chill the circuitry down before you do it or you will get an error. I put mine in the refrigerator for 20 minutes then did the FULL calibration immediately after taking it out.

I suspect this will solver your issue. But if not, post back. Also, can you please be so kind as to post back regardless if you resolve the issue for the benefit of others?

Thanks

Sorry to hear about your issues with the Phantom. No need to talk about why you shouldn't do an update since it's already done. The update should not in and of itself cause a problem as this is a very old update and has been tried and tested by not only DJI but many others. The problem now is going forward.

But once you update, parameters that were previously set can change and throw things off.

A steady blinking red light indicates a power supply issue or "other" errors. I suspect in your case, "other issue" is at play and it means you need to fully recalibrate the IMU.

I would do a full IMU recalibration. It's not difficult at all. But most of the time you have to chill the circuitry down before you do it or you will get an error. I put mine in the refrigerator for 20 minutes then did the FULL calibration immediately after taking it out.

I suspect this will solver your issue. But if not, post back. Also, can you please be so kind as to post back regardless if you resolve the issue for the benefit of others?

Thanks
And that is why I posted the vid . If he did the steps (in the vid) bet it flys but the reply I got I'd say he didn't even watch it .

Reactions: JKDSensei
First thing to check: in the "basic" tab of Naza Assistant, go to the RC option. Depending on the age of your Phantom, you have to set it either to PPM or D-bus. Newer P1s use D-bus. However, if you followed the video to the letter and copied and re-wrote the old parameters this should already have been set correctly.

And that is why I posted the vid . If he did the steps (in the vid) bet it flys but the reply I got I'd say he didn't even watch it .

Well, you would say wrong. I actually watched that specific video before I created this thread. No need to be so passive-aggressive. I'm new here. Sorry if my level of expertise is not worthy of yours.

First thing to check: in the "basic" tab of Naza Assistant, go to the RC option. Depending on the age of your Phantom, you have to set it either to PPM or D-bus. Newer P1s use D-bus. However, if you followed the video to the letter and copied and re-wrote the old parameters this should already have been set correctly.

This seems to be the matter exactly. I found this out by doing some research elsewhere. When I did the update the software reset to PPM. When I changed it to D-Bus, that fixed the problem.

HOWEVER, now I have a new issue. I got the phantom up and flying today without any problem when in just basic GPS mode, however it would seem as though when I select Course Lock or Home Lock, nothing changes. I have the Phantom in GPS mode still, but nothing seems to change when I active CL or HL. I'm going to assume it's some other setting I'm missing. Any ideas on what to do?

This seems to be the matter exactly. I found this out by doing some research elsewhere. When I did the update the software reset to PPM. When I changed it to D-Bus, that fixed the problem.

HOWEVER, now I have a new issue. I got the phantom up and flying today without any problem when in just basic GPS mode, however it would seem as though when I select Course Lock or Home Lock, nothing changes. I have the Phantom in GPS mode still, but nothing seems to change when I active CL or HL. I'm going to assume it's some other setting I'm missing. Any ideas on what to do?

IOC functions work only outside of a "safety circle" of 10 meters. If the Phantom is closer to you than that it will not activate. Did you enable IOC in the Naza assistant?

Glade you got it have fun be safe .
This forum has everything you can think of pertaining to the phantom it's been done . Do little searching you will find it . Don't take me getting on you this phantom is one of the hardest to update and people do not dig to see how to . Took it out on you my bad .
Welcome to the forum .

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4