PfCO in UK

Reaction score
OK, so I'm going to start selling my services as an Aerial Photographer in the UK.
For this I realise I need a PfCO from The CAA.
Looking at a large number of companies in the UK offering this, it would seem they have this sewn up between in some sort of unofficial cartel. Their prices are all around the same and around £1,200 but despite some very smooth advertising it is difficult to see what you get for this.

A case in particular is a company called 3iC who offer a 2 part route for £948, which sounds not to bad. Look at the detail, though, and part 1 is an online theory course, with claimed email and phone support from a personal tutor. Part 2 you are given an operations manual template - again with claimed help to complete it. You get an on-site theory and practical exam, 2 hours in total. Then claimed support with you PfCO application.

When you boil it down, all their costs are covered for the online course material save a bit of time for a tutor emailing or phoning. Then perhaps 1 or 2 people to oversee and administer the flight assessment and exam for 2 hours.

I would still need to pay for my application to the CAA with no guarantee it would succeed.

There must be a better way - any ideas or thoughts? Or am I expecting too much for my hard earned cash?

You often get 1/2 price offers (I did mine with Coptrz) but I would also add that the instructor was an experienced commercial operator and his advice was worth more than the course cost (for me). Also quite helpful with the CAA application process and buying decisions on kit.

Failure rate on my course was quite high (very windy conditions) but people were offered a return flight exam on a later date FOC.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen