People in and Around DC what are you doing now that the FAA has increased the radius of NDZ to 30mi

Reaction score
I am at the very edge of the yellow circle. The FAA app shows that i am in the restricted Airspace but lists the TFR: SFRA/FRZ and SFRA at 32.7 miles now i am no math major but isn't 32.7 more than 30 miles away?

also what about other folks in VA this 30 miles BS is now covering most of the Northern Virginia and Maryland.

The FAA app shows this updated MAP the DJI website does not. During this last sale i bought an Advanced + extra battery and + DJI back pack for 799 from newer (it was just too **** good of a deal to pass) and now i am scared that i won't be able to fly it.

I am at the very edge of the yellow circle. The FAA app shows that i am in the restricted Airspace but lists the TFR: SFRA/FRZ and SFRA at 32.7 miles now i am no math major but isn't 32.7 more than 30 miles away?

also what about other folks in VA this 30 miles BS is now covering most of the Northern Virginia and Maryland.

The FAA app shows this updated MAP the DJI website does not. During this last sale i bought an Advanced + extra battery and + DJI back pack for 799 from newer (it was just too **** good of a deal to pass) and now i am scared that i won't be able to fly it.
The DJI map is what controls the NFZ. The FAA app could show a 100 mile radius, but if DJI doesn't agree, too bad FAA.

The DJI map is what controls the NFZ. The FAA app could show a 100 mile radius, but if DJI doesn't agree, too bad FAA.
well i am afraid that DJI will be coming up with a new firmware update that will make my quad not fly. I know i don't have to update the firmware but i heard that the quads stop taking off unless you update the firmware in 3 days something to do with the DJI Go app

well i am afraid that DJI will be coming up with a new firmware update that will make my quad not fly. I know i don't have to update the firmware but i heard that the quads stop taking off unless you update the firmware in 3 days something to do with the DJI Go app
I'm on FW 1.1.9 and I can still fly. It's been 6 months of FW updates since then. Worst case, since you got such a good deal, just flip it if it won't fly. You might even end up making a profit. Good luck!

I'm not too far from that 30NM edge. A few miles and 10 minutes in the car for me to fly in a few sketchy places. 20 to 60 minutes and some nice places.

There's a LOT of questions being asked about this and a few other things in the region. For now just drive a bit and go fly. It stinks and I have already told my reps expect a no vote and vocal social media attacks. Besides me and my retirement money are headed to FL in 18 months and perhaps Grenada or Peru long term.

Now if you are that worried about updates I have a P2V+ I'll trade you.

Last edited:
well as my area is not in NDZ yet and firmware has not been pushed i think i will be ok with flying. I got the advanced so i will have some range good luck finding me :) but the whole **** community knows i am the only one with a drone so someone might snitch i hate rats

Reactions: Apilot101
....but the whole **** community knows i am the only one with a drone so someone might snitch i hate rats
:p

FAA has not increased the radius. The 30 mile SFRA, has been around for what - almost 13 years. It was in September of last year that the attached document was released defining the SFRA has it applies to drone pilots. The SFRA is not a no-fly zone.

The P56 area downtown is certainly a no-fly zone. And DJi has called the 15 miles FRZ a no-fly zone. That seems somewhat reasonable. But the SFRA is not a no-fly zone since the language of the document states a drone may fly in it provided the pilot has "specific authorization." Read the document. And that document is still current.

The other thing is, there is still no law against it! None!

My point is - this is not new news. So I'm not going to change what I'm "doing" this month any more than I did last month or the month before that - or the month before that, etc.

How 'bout them 'Skins?

Attachments

• AC_91-57A.pdf
    220.2 KB · Views: 180
:p

FAA has not increased the radius. The 30 mile SFRA, has been around for what - almost 13 years. It was in September of last year that the attached document was released defining the SFRA has it applies to drone pilots. The SFRA is not a no-fly zone.

The P56 area downtown is certainly a no-fly zone. And DJi has called the 15 miles FRZ a no-fly zone. That seems somewhat reasonable. But the SFRA is not a no-fly zone since the language of the document states a drone may fly in it provided the pilot has "specific authorization." Read the document. And that document is still current.

The other thing is, there is still no law against it! None!

My point is - this is not new news. So I'm not going to change what I'm "doing" this month any more than I did last month or the month before that - or the month before that, etc.

How 'bout them 'Skins?

While I agree with you that there is no law against it, the FAA has been pretty clear publicly that the SFRA means no flying of model aircraft. If I sat on a jury, the FAA would have an uphill battle to win but, the government is now judge, jury and executioner. The FAA is a bureaucracy and therefore does what it wants unless told not to by judge, congress or the executive branch. Given the current state of affairs in this region, I am not willing to take the chance and just fly. Too many brown shirts. I'll fly outside the SRFA and be vocal about the jackbooted administration we have and campaign against them.

That said - yes, it looks like we just need permission, how does one get it?

There was a case about three years ago where FAA tried to prosecute a model plane pilot for flying recklessly on a college campus. He had a video camera on the craft and recorded the flight. I don't have a link but I remember watching the vid and thinking it was pretty reckless. The judge ruled against the FAA for all sorts of reasons - most of them being there had been no definitions and laws made yet on what an aircraft is and what rules it must abide to as it pertains to model aircrafts.

The definitions and rules are becoming a little more clear now but they're still pretty vague.

As far as "willing to take a chance", I can't disagree with you. And for the record, I am not saying I would fly anyway. I am not saying I wouldn't fly anyway. I'm just answering the OP - saying I'm not going to change what I'm "doing" based on what has happened this month or last month.

As far as how we get specific authorization to fly, I don't know. I wrote a letter to the FAA before Thanksgiving requesting specific authorization to fly low over a nearby cornfield and they must have thrown my letter in the trash. I've heard nothing. But why would they grant me authorization? Doing so would do nothing to promote their mission.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl