People found a lost drone, what to do?

Reaction score
I am selling a Controller for some models of the Phantoms (I don't want this to be moved to classified so I am not going to say what I am doing) but this morning I got the message from someone who says they found a Vision Plus and they wanted a RC Transmitter to fly it. I replied and asked if they had any interest in looking for the owners who lost it, that there could be a reward. A few hours later now and no response.

So, I have heard from quite a few folks who have had fly aways and this might be one of the. I don't know what to do.

This is not the first time, At least one other time a RC Transmitter was bought from me and the buyer explained that he had found the, I think it was a Phantom V1.1.1 and he had posted fliers and ads in the newspaper so I thought he had tried so I sold him one.

I do realize that if people who found a lost quad could not fly they would try a lot harder to find the owner, or would they just put it up for sale?

Craig

Wedeliver said:
I am selling a Controller for some models of the Phantoms (I don't want this to be moved to classified so I am not going to say what I am doing) but this morning I got the message from someone who says they found a Vision Plus and they wanted a RC Transmitter to fly it. I replied and asked if they had any interest in looking for the owners who lost it, that there could be a reward. A few hours later now and no response.

So, I have heard from quite a few folks who have had fly aways and this might be one of the. I don't know what to do.

This is not the first time, At least one other time a RC Transmitter was bought from me and the buyer explained that he had found the, I think it was a Phantom V1.1.1 and he had posted fliers and ads in the newspaper so I thought he had tried so I sold him one.

I do realize that if people who found a lost quad could not fly they would try a lot harder to find the owner, or would they just put it up for sale?

Craig

This is what I've always wondered. People talk about putting their name/address on the bird but I suspect 'most' of the people who find a fly away bird would investigate what it was, realise it's value and either try to sell it or keep it for themselves. Maybe I'm to cynical though. Maybe there are more kind souls out there than I think there are.

So the saga continues. I got a reply. They say "I have no intention of finding the original owner, does this remote work with the P2V+?".

Any leos wanna tell me what I should do?

I'd say "Thanks, but I can't help you."

And when they ask why, I wouldn't respond, because they already know why.

Sell them the remote. It will probably fly away again. If so ask them to sell you the remote back for 1/2 price. :)

Reactions: Cobs
The fact that they have declared having a craft belonging to someone else ----------

I would wait for a buyer who KNEW if it was compatible, they would likely be genuine.

Swap places for a moment- suppose it was your craft, what would you advise a Tx seller to do ;)

discv said:
The fact that they have declared having a craft belonging to someone else ----------

I would wait for a buyer who KNEW if it was compatible, they would likely be genuine.

Swap places for a moment- suppose it was your craft, what would you advise a Tx seller to do ;)

I know there are laws that govern "finders keepers" and just like if I lost my dog or my car a finder has to attempt to locate the owner. I can't sell to them, not when they declare the have no interest in finding the true owner.

I just wonder and I will be checking soon if there is anything I should be doing. I am not one to sit on my hands.

Thanks for the advice guys!

I'm a retired LEO and can say with some confidence that you would be committing a crime to sell him a controller knowing that he has stolen the Phantom. Yes, finding one and then keeping it for oneself without trying to find the owner is stealing. You would be abetting the possession of stolen property. It would be just like someone coming to you and saying some kids went joyriding and left a BMW they stole on your street and he "found" it, so would you help him re-key it so he can drive it. More importantly, it's just plain immoral. One thing you could do is ask for a photo of all sides of the Phantom. Maybe the owner does have his name of phone number on it, but I'm sure that would be fruitless as he would not do it. As for people's honesty, my experience is that most people are honest. I once left my handheld Garmin GPS unit on the ground near a geocache I found. I realized it about an hour later. I went back and it was gone, but there was a note with a phone number. I called it and the finder gave me his address. I went and picked it up and gave him a reward.

Reactions: Falcon900
one word: karma

actually i was thinking about telling him that you could sell him the controller but it will be useless because it wont "connect" to the phantom, and in order to bind the controller and the phantom you'll need to manually access the phantom and connect it to the software assistant. once you have the phantom mix all the settings (lower the gains, set return home at 90%, etc) and tell him that it was impossible to bind the controller/phantom.

or simply tell him that you are an ethic person and dont think its correct to sell something for a stolen property.

RussA said:
I'm a retired LEO and can say with some confidence that you would be committing a crime to sell him a controller knowing that he has stolen the Phantom. Yes, finding one and then keeping it for oneself without trying to find the owner is stealing. You would be abetting the possession of stolen property. It would be just like someone coming to you and saying some kids went joyriding and left a BMW they stole on your street and he "found" it, so would you help him re-key it so he can drive it. More importantly, it's just plain immoral. One thing you could do is ask for a photo of all sides of the Phantom. Maybe the owner does have his name of phone number on it, but I'm sure that would be fruitless as he would not do it. As for people's honesty, my experience is that most people are honest. I once left my handheld Garmin GPS unit on the ground near a geocache I found. I realized it about an hour later. I went back and it was gone, but there was a note with a phone number. I called it and the finder gave me his address. I went and picked it up and gave him a reward.

Here is the messages we exchanged.
the first message I received was
I have found a Dji Phantom 2 Vision Plus (with the camera and the gimbell). And now im looking to use it but i need a controller for it . My question is does this controller work on my Phantom 2 vision plus ?

I replied:
Would you like to see if you can find the original owner? You could get an reward? If so please tell me where you found it and I might be able to find the old owner. Thanks. Craig

then they replied
i have no intention to find the original ouner . does this remote works on p2v+ or not ???

And my final response was:
What you are trying to do is a felony. I am unable to be part of a felony. Don't be so greedy, make an attempt to find the owner, that's all you got to do is the RIGHT THING! (if I lost my dog or my car and you found it and kept it and the police found them at your house and you had made no attempt to find the owner, you would go to jail) You are probably a nice person, do the right thing and then, if nobody claims it, then I can sell to you.
There is a serial number. That can prove who the owner is. They are registered at DJI!

end of transmission.

So, I would be willing to share the ebay users name with an interested LEO here if anyone is interested. I did speak to my local sheriffs deputy and since we don't even know what state this person is in, we do not know the laws there. So his recommendation was that I back away from this. Although I would love to help get this back to the original owner if there was some way.

I had my lost Phantom 2 returned to me. I did something very stupid. I was flying over a wooded area from a 500ft bluff near where I live. It was around dusk. I brought the phantom back in to pack up and go home when the sky turned this awesome violet and purple and orange and it was just too beautiful. Even though I only had 1 light left on my last remaining battery, I thought, it's got enough for a quick out and back just to capture some of this sky. Stupid me. About 100 yards out, it goes into low battery mode and just started landing. I wasn't quite sure what it was going to do because the ground beneath was 500ft lower than the take off spot (I took off from up on the bluff). From where I was and because of the the vanishing daylight I could not see where it was landing. It quickly got dark and I couldn't go look for it in the pitch black.

Couldn't return to the area until a couple days later and spent 4 or 5 hours searching both on foot and from the bluff using binoculars but could not find it.

A week later, I was almost ready to pull the trigger on buying another (and another gimbal and another GoPro...this is an expensive hobby) when my phone rings and a nice man named Dan says "hey I have your drone". A woman that lived nearby saw it land and found it the next day. She had no idea what is was or if it was dangerous so she gave it to her friend Dan who immediately knew what it was. He was happy to return it me (but he was working out of town for the week and hence the delay). He refused my reward money, which I really pushed him to take, but he wouldn't.

Phantom works as if nothing ever happened. Based on the video it landed gently in a bush. Just got it back yesterday.

Hooray for good Samaritans. Don't reward the selfish by selling them a transmitter so they get a drone that isn't really theirs.

Reactions: daveleeds
I doubt there is any law against him keeping it. Can't compare it to a vehicle. I think he should at least try to find the owner. That would be the correct thing to do. People find things evert day that belong to others. Finding something is not theft. Selling him a tx is not against the law. The person was stupid to say he found it in the first place as far as trying to get a tx for it. I found a credit card a while back at a gas pump. It actually was a debit card. I could not use it at an atm for cash not knowing the pin number but I could have filled my tank and gone on a shopping spree. I would never do that. First I called the credit card company to report it. I figured they would not give me the name of person to reach them. So, I left my number for the person to contact me. I thought if the person could get the card back without the hassle of closing out the card and having a new one issued, it would be easier. The cc company said it's policy to stop the card and issue a new one. I did hear from card owner thanking me for calling it in. By the end of phone call, she was crying and couldn't stop thanking me. I didn't do anything special. I only did the right thing.

Monte55 said:
I doubt there is any law against him keeping it. Can't compare it to a vehicle. I think he should at least try to find the owner. That would be the correct thing to do. People find things evert day that belong to others. Finding something is not theft. Selling him a tx is not against the law. The person was stupid to say he found it in the first place as far as trying to get a tx for it. I found a credit card a while back at a gas pump. It actually was a debit card. I could not use it at an atm for cash not knowing the pin number but I could have filled my tank and gone on a shopping spree. I would never do that. First I called the credit card company to report it. I figured they would not give me the name of person to reach them. So, I left my number for the person to contact me. I thought if the person could get the card back without the hassle of closing out the card and having a new one issued, it would be easier. The cc company said it's policy to stop the card and issue a new one. I did hear from card owner thanking me for calling it in. By the end of phone call, she was crying and couldn't stop thanking me. I didn't do anything special. I only did the right thing.

Monte, thanks for your reply,well written and I understand what you are saying. But according to the sheriffs deputy I spoke with this morning, it is theft to keep something that you find. The law requires the finder to attempt to find the original owner and different places have different ways to do that. Where I live, Modoc County, California I was told if it is worth over $250.00 (which surprised me) it can be a felony to keep it. To properly follow the law a finder would need to turn the item in to the Sheriffs dept and wait 30 days. If no body claims it, it is the finders. I like that we can call this law the

LAW OF FINDERS KEEPERS!

Here, think of a couple ways this could be slightly different. You are jogging and your wallet falls out of your pocket, can someone keep it, take the money out of it? If you drop something it is not "Up for grabs". It is still yours, you just dropped it. Now, here in California a couple found millions of dollars worth of coins buried on property they had bought. After years of lawsuits it was found to be theirs since they had bought the property. Now, there was another case of a person who hid money in his walls, he died, his family new he had hidden money so they looked and looked but no luck. So they sold the house and during a remodel the contractor found it. In the end the family that had hid it got it back. They had not abandoned the hidden money the court found.

All I know is that I have read so many sad stories of folks having a flyaway and I would love to help reunite those poor people. I have thought how can I help, can I give them a new quad.. nope, cannot afford it, so the best I can do is point out those are greedy and honor those who do the right thing. This story below is heart warming and reminds me of the good folks out there.

mpp said:
I had my lost Phantom 2 returned to me. I did something very stupid. I was flying over a wooded area from a 500ft bluff near where I live. It was around dusk. I brought the phantom back in to pack up and go home when the sky turned this awesome violet and purple and orange and it was just too beautiful. Even though I only had 1 light left on my last remaining battery, I thought, it's got enough for a quick out and back just to capture some of this sky. Stupid me. About 100 yards out, it goes into low battery mode and just started landing. I wasn't quite sure what it was going to do because the ground beneath was 500ft lower than the take off spot (I took off from up on the bluff). From where I was and because of the the vanishing daylight I could not see where it was landing. It quickly got dark and I couldn't go look for it in the pitch black.

Couldn't return to the area until a couple days later and spent 4 or 5 hours searching both on foot and from the bluff using binoculars but could not find it.

A week later, I was almost ready to pull the trigger on buying another (and another gimbal and another GoPro...this is an expensive hobby) when my phone rings and a nice man named Dan says "hey I have your drone". A woman that lived nearby saw it land and found it the next day. She had no idea what is was or if it was dangerous so she gave it to her friend Dan who immediately knew what it was. He was happy to return it me (but he was working out of town for the week and hence the delay). He refused my reward money, which I really pushed him to take, but he wouldn't.

Phantom works as if nothing ever happened. Based on the video it landed gently in a bush. Just got it back yesterday.

Hooray for good Samaritans. Don't reward the selfish by selling them a transmitter so they get a drone that isn't really theirs.

In the end I have no idea what is legal or not, I am not a cop nor a lawyer. But I do know what feels good and selling to the person that contacted me would not have felt good. I could not even bring myself to answer his question on if my DJ6 would work on the P2V+ that he found. (the answer is NO) Oh, and Monte, if you had used that debt card to buy a stick of gum you would have committed a crime! Sometimes doing the right thing can keep a person out of jail.

I don't know the laws either. Those were my thoughts. I'm sure the laws are different in different areas. Ya see, I don't worry about that. I need nothing that I have not worked for and earned. Lottery is another story. I won't make it my life to return something but I sure would make an effort. I would hate to lose my Phantom 1. I can understand how someone else would feel.

In the end this it's not about ethics

This is not your problem Craig, all you need to do is not be complicit in this. Report it to the police if you must but with no details of your correspondence with the guy, do let the guy know you have reported the situation as you are bound to do the in your business and leave it. I have to do the same thing in my business.

This is a standard situation that happens a lot, no biggy
It's already covered somewhere "lead us not into temptation", Do unto others etc
That did sound almost religious :) Stop That

Monte55 said:
I don't know the laws either.

The laws vary from state-to-state, but your case is much stronger if your ID is clearly visible.

After reading this thread, I know if I lose my Phantom, I'm going to post a controller for sale on Craigslist and see who answers my ad.

Reactions: TheRealNick
mpp said:
I wasn't quite sure what it was going to do because the ground beneath was 500ft lower than the take off spot (I took off from up on the bluff). From where I was and because of the the vanishing daylight I could not see where it was landing. It quickly got dark and I couldn't go look for it in the pitch black.

This is my understanding:
When it lands below the take off altitude, it just continues a calm landing descent until the Phantom detects no vertical movement for three seconds, then it shuts down the motors.

Did you get your sunset videos?

Well, too bad you had that conversation with him as far as it went. If you had not you could have told him yes It will work, need your name and address to ship. Once you had that contact the police in that town and see if they think there is anything they can do about it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20