PC OR MAC To Edit?

A Mac is a PC by definition (because it's a personal computer). If you're asking Windows vs MacOS, then I use Windows, because the XPS 15 is superior to any MacBook Pro, especially with the garbage keyboard they started using. That being said, as a whole, Macs are great for editing and I would get a Mac if I needed a home computer that was not a laptop.

A Mac is a PC by definition (because it's a personal computer). If you're asking Windows vs MacOS, ...
I think the colloquial definition of PC as windows based is well accepted by now. ;-)

I personally use an iMac with Final Cut Pro X. Many moons ago I used Adobe Premier on a Windows machine and I think a lot of people still do. Davinci Resolve is out there now too. I think it’s free and I think it runs on both MacOS and Windows. I think.

I think for some people the decision may be based on what else you need to do with your machine. Or is it really just for editing. Years ago I was exclusively Windows. I eventually got a Mac and run Windows in a virtual machine and over time migrated to doing pretty much everything on the Mac: word processing, photoshop, etc. leaving pretty much only Quicken to run in my virtual machine - because there is no credible Mac version yet. So that makes my default posture to default to using video editor native on Mac.

But since I want to do 4K video now, I finally upgraded to a fairly beefy iMac. If you run a lot of Windows apps then you may want to setup a beefy Windows machine and edit there as well.

One thing I really miss about editing on Windows (but this may NOT apply now) is that in 2000 or so I was able to buy a real-time editing card (Matrox 2000 I think it was called). This had video processing on the card and I hardly had to render. With Final Cut Pro X there is a lot of rendering on the timeline.

Reactions: Hounddog
I retired from film and video production 4 years ago. Then I saw my brothers original Phantom and went nuts. I was never a hobbyist, but the photography aspect and possible uses became very apparent. In 1992 I climbed a mountain in Yugoslavia with 2 Betacam cameras, recorder, Anton Bauer brick batteries the wight of 4 P4's, TV Monitors, Filters, Tripod and Tape. We rushed up the side trying to capture a last shot of sunset needed for a documentary. Shots were great from 1 perspective. Now I know I could have sat at the base of the mountain, flown the P4 Pro+, and got stunning silhouettes and shots from all angles and reflections. All for a 50th of the cost and a heck of a lot less sweat. So now I am back in the game, sitting on a stool, carting around a backpack of equipment.

As for your question. After 35 years in video the last 20 in non-linear, I found that the Mac products satisfy a blend of Sophisticated /Creative types (goes for graphics, music and film) and neophytes who need to have procedures aptly named and the use of little icons. The PC separates their software and workstations into beginners and high tech. In either case the faster and beefier the machine the more creativity and speed you will enjoy.

The Mac renders in the background while you are working but does render slower. The PC gives you the option to output any type of file/rendering you need. The Mac also divides the elements up for easy access but only as a project. You never really know where on a drive your assets are. The PC is the same as any other file system.

I think most pros need to be adept at both. You as a drone operator should choose at this point and application the platform you are familiar with. Have fun.

Harry

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164